forwards ?

nfb

Just wondering how people feel about our forward options...

Martin is Martin, and personally i think he fits us,and our style of play, he has guile and touch,scores goals and can dish it out too.. what more can you ask for for a freebie  :D

As for the others..

For me Dawkins/Ward are major concerns, after the 1st two games they look average at best, and as  frustrating as hell...

Ward looks as bad as he's ever been, and more petulant seemingly ?, now he's got his new contract, (and thats good, for his wife and kids !)  For me, he has lost his hunger, and i dont think he should have been given a new contract personally, but hey ? its not my money, but i will say now, i doubt he will be even close to MOM for us ever again, where he has been before... says it all really.

Dawkins, has gone backwards, doesn't seem to have progressed since he came here, when he was exciting, which he still can be, but he's become predictable (cutting inside too much) and still doesnt have much of an end product, a bit like ward  ??

Russell for me, is the best of the 3, as he is still hungry, still trying, and more unpredictable than Dawkins, with more end product, although, Mac still picks the other two over him ?? I think a decent run as 1st choice would bring the best out of him as his confidence would grow, his goal( with the Thorne through ball) was still my goal of the season last year.

Beast, not sure what to make of him yet, but what i call him says a bit...

Midfield is another topic, someone else can start that one  :D

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's been three games for goodness sake. Dawkins was injured for a bit in pre-season so maybe that explains his slow start. He'll come good. I don't like Ward but he's a decent option. Russell is good. No doubt we're looking to sign a winger as well so that will further strengthen.

When I moaned about Dawkins on Monday I got stick, he was even worse today and his work rate was shocking.

Suprised Ward has stayed.

Russell works hard.

Still early doors but we are lacking something maybe the Thorne influence?

Just to clarify, where you at the game?

When I moaned about Dawkins on Monday I got stick, he was even worse today and his work rate was shocking.

Suprised Ward has stayed.

Russell works hard.

Still early doors but we are lacking something maybe the Thorne influence?

It's definitely the Thorne influence. Hendrick, Bryson and Hughes are not effective when they all play together, as they seem to share defensive responsibility. With Thorne, the two players picked to play along side him can afford to attack more. Personally for mid-week I would drop Bryson for Mascarell so that Hughes can play further up the pitch.

It's been three games for goodness sake. Dawkins was injured for a bit in pre-season so maybe that explains his slow start. He'll come good. I don't like Ward but he's a decent option. Russell is good. No doubt we're looking to sign a winger as well so that will further strengthen.

Im aware of how many games in we are... but my point is, that if you are suggesting we bring in a winger(which i agree with, Ibe or similar, it would help Beast im sure to have that to feed off in the box and give us another way of winning, apart from the way we now play with Martin as a focal point backed up bu midfield 'runners') it means that some of the others are redundant, barring injuries, which is why i'm surprised Ward got a new contract, i thought he, along with Sammon would be gone this summer to make way for new signings, and why i fear a winger may not be a priority.

I do realise that the midfield has a huge effect on us going forward, i was just concerned about our striking options as i think they are not the strongest, and to be honest, with Mac's 'pulling power' im surprised we haven't got more fire power, i wait to be proved wrong, but i doubt we will score as many as last season with the forwards we have atm, sounds odd, but i think we've been sussed.... and Mac needs alternatives, and while i was underwhelmed by Beast signing i hope Mac gets in someone to bring the best out of Beast.....

We're 3 games in and it's pretty damn clear that the big issue isn't up front, but the gaping hole in the middle of our structure. We need someone to play that role deep in midfield, and so far it's been made pretty obvious that man isn't Hughes. Thankfully we have 4 points, are through to the next round of the cup and haven't conceded a goal yet. If we're going to play as we did last season though, that's the issue that needs to be sorted.

Players like Dawkins, Ward and Russell will thrive, and feed the ball into the areas that Martin thrives, when the midfield behind them performs, and at this time Bryson, Hendrick and Hughes aren't performing without the deep role being filled properly.

Rather than starting a witchhunt following game day 2 for players who weren't really the source of the problem, let's just wait and see how we do at Charlton and look to Fulham and Ipswich.

Im aware of how many games in we are... but my point is, that if you are suggesting we bring in a winger, it means that some of the others are redundant,barring injuries, which is why i'm surprised ward got a new contract, i thought he, along wit sammon would be gone this summer to make way for new signings, and why i fear a winger may not be a priority.

Redundant? No, I just think we need 4 wingers. I'm sure the 3 we have will still play an important role, even if another is brought in.

Good post Albert. Charlton and Fulham good tests.

Ipswich too, improved massively under McCarthy. 

I think we need a new winger just for depth. Hopefully Dawkins will recapture the form he started to find before his first injury but at the minute he looks poor, in all honesty. One more quality winger and I think we will be good contenders for promotion, especially after Thorne returns and adds his extra quality to the midfield.

Think Albert has got this spot on. In my opinion we need to play a defensive midfielder + Hughes then either Bryson or Hendrick. This gives us a better platform to build attacks. Hendrick and Bryson are energy players in my opinion and a bit simular to play in the same team, this maybe why Bryson seems a little ineffective at the moment

Think Albert has got this spot on. In my opinion we need to play a defensive midfielder + Hughes then either Bryson or Hendrick. This gives us a better platform to build attacks. Hendrick and Bryson are energy players in my opinion and a bit simular to play in the same team, this maybe why Bryson seems a little ineffective at the moment

Hendrick and Bryson played ok together at the back end of last season, just missing Thornes quality. 

I wouldn't mind seeing

Grant

Christie

Keogh

Bucko

Fozzy

Eustace

Hughes

Hendrick

Calero

Russell

Martin

Think Brysons wasted now Martin is being targeted more by defenders.

Eustace offers us a player who will just focus on defence.

Hughes gives us the key to unlocking teams who park the bus.

Calero is an unknown quantity, can score goals and must be more hungry to impress than Ward and Dawkins (if not Calero then i'd play Best out wide)

Archived