Martin?

DerbyLad

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Loved watching him completely out run a Rotherham defender on Saturday, was the most shocking moment of the match.

I heard he told McClaren that's at least 6 months worth of sprint used up.

Think that's why he was poor at Carlisle.

50-50 on Martin. Would keep him purely for the amount of goals he scores but there's inconsistency about him. One game he can be the best player on the pitch. Another game it looks like he doesn't want to be here.

Name me a striker who is consistent every game ? especially in the under 5 million bracket

p.s. He was free

Name me a striker who is consistent every game ? especially in the under 5 million bracket

p.s. He was free

I never said I didn't like him mate, just have a different opinion on him. When he's performing at his best he's one of the best Strikers in the Champ for me! 

I wonder if Martin (and similarly Thorne) is worth more to us than he would be to other teams? Basically, he is a perfect fit for our formation, providing the fixed point around which all the movement happens.. Do many other teams need a 'pivot' man? It's his intelligence, strength and superb control which make him perfect for us, but his lack of pace* might well mean he would be a liability for other sides.

* I reckon that CM's slowness is a result of him having legs which are comically short compared to his body - Jamie Ward's legs attached to Connor Sammon's body, just  look next time he plays :D

I wonder if Martin (and similarly Thorne) is worth more to us than he would be to other teams? Basically, he is a perfect fit for our formation, providing the fixed point around which all the movement happens.. Do many other teams need a 'pivot' man? It's his intelligence, strength and superb control which make him perfect for us, but his lack of pace* might well mean he would be a liability for other sides.

* I reckon that CM's slowness is a result of him having legs which are comically short compared to his body - Jamie Ward's legs attached to Connor Sammon's body, just look next time he plays :D

But much better end product ;)

I could tell this was a slow news day when I saw we were filling pages guessing the value of a player who is not for sale and who we don't want to sell. To top it off, the last few posts have made mention of Conor. Drop the Dead Donkey anyone?

A striker who scored 25 goals in his last full season, and is arguably the best poacher in the division?

As i-Ram says ... it's all academic .... but yeah - pretty much worth his weight in gold.

Connor Salmon is like a blind dog chasing a stick, and he is apparently a million pounds worth of player.

Makes me wonder what Nick Pickering would be worth in today's market...<<goes all dewy eyed.>>

Loved watching him completely out run a Rotherham defender on Saturday, was the most shocking moment of the match.

Yes....what he actually did though was amazing...he slowed down slightly as did the defender...then did a double-click thing with his feet (not your common or garden kick and rush) where the ball was first being stopped/slowed down with one foot and then kicked with the other - and you could see the defender was thinking "WTF?" - the ball shot forward and Martin went with it and the defender was like "Ermmmmm...what did he just DO!?!" then set off after Martin - but by then he was 2 yards away and clear. So it was speed of thought and great skill/execution that allowed him to roast the defender. It was one of four fantastic bits of skill from Martin in the 2nd half.

Beautiful thing about Martin as he doesn't do anything all game, you don't even notice him for 89 minutes of the match, but he still manages to bag 2 goals.

The mark of a truly great striker.

As my old man would say ... 'If you asked Jimmy Greaves to start tearing up and down the pitch in his heyday - he'd have told you to piss off.'

The footnote of that is though, that Martin's work rate is exceptional. A bit unfair to say the least to brand him unnoticeable.

Ward's end product better than Sammon's? You sure about that?

We could go on bare stats.... But I believe so.... Unless you're pulling my leg ;)

Archived