Sheffield Wednesday v Derby County

Day

Two things I took from today's game was that we do have the subs to change games, which can only be a good thing. Although the changes today didn't directly change the result I thought all three lads did well when coming on.

And secondly was my shock at Wednesday taking of their #9 he was dominate in the air and holding the ball up and just after we bought on Mascarell too

• Replies 371
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Strange one, we had the best chances today, but they dominated most of the play.

We weren't great, but I think that's because they were very good, and stopped us from playing our game. Their big lad upfront Is an absolute unit and caused us no end of problems but bucko and Keogh did quite well in fairness.

Hughes was very poor, and Christie wasn't much better in the first half but improved big time second half. Bryson and Hendrick were OK, slightly disappointed with Martin and then we have Wardy and Dawks.

Absolutely shocking the pair of them. Ward's best moments of the day were winding their fans up when he got off the bus, and winding em up when he took a corner.

The fact that a lot of Derby fans booed the decision to take him off before dawkins shows how bad Dawkins actually was ( I thought the booing and ironic cheering when he went off was completely uncalled for though, no matter how bad they are, they're one of our own, and you don't do that). But anyway dawks was garbage, Calero needs to take his spot.

Cannot believe Russell didn't score, especially the second one where he was far too casual. Sammon would have scored that ;). His general play was quite good  though despite those misses

Mascarell grew in to the game and showed some excellent touches, he will definitely start on Tues. There was one moment where it looked like he was about to lose the ball when he was the last man, but produced a brilliant bit of skill to keep the ball and get past 2 player, he seems to be good in the air as well, and isn't afraid of a big tackle. (fnarr)

Grant-6

Forsyth-6

Bucko-7

Keogh-7

Christie-6

Hughes-4

Hendrick-6

Bryson-7

Ward-4

Dawkins-3

Martin-5

Best-6

Russell-6

Mascarell-7

Sheff Weds were very good, we did underestimate them, top 10 finish for them I reckon.

Just in - It's becoming harder than ever to get away from that ground - and straight out, so I'll chew over my thoughts over a beer or two.

But one point perhaps worth making that I haven't seen - three games in, no goals conceded. That's gotta be good news. 

Thought Keogh and Bucko were great today.

Good result but not such a great performance. Annoyed that Russell didn't bury his one on one, but we could've easily gone in trailing at half time. Also, after today Mascarell will surely start in place of Hughes at Charlton. Think we should give Best a chance through the middle too.

Based on an excitable Radio Derby commentary that could have gone either way. Sounds like we need to sort out defensive midfield and the two wide attacking positions. Otherwise we seem OK. I'd have taken two wins and a draw with three clean sheets. I'm much more concerned about us conceding than scoring over the long term.

Just in from the game and had time to think about it. I'd have taken a point before kick off, and it was probably fair. They had more attempts, we had better ones. Johnny Russell should have scored his chance, but they don't all go in.

Thought Keogh was excellent today - confidence coming back - maybe the new contract offer helped him. Lee Grant was very solid, and probably man of the match for me in the absence of anybody else doing enough - he had no worldy saves to make, but held on to everything securely. The back four were fairly solid again as a whole, and Christie settled second half after a difficult first half.

Going forward it didn't really click, except for a couple of isolated occasions. Bryson isn't hitting last year's form as yet, and none of the wide men are doing enough to guarantee their place for me. The substitutions improved us today, and Leon Best did well holding the ball up.

I thought the cheering of Dawkins' substitution was pretty poor - I never agree with that sort of thing, but second game in to the season is pretty unnecessary.

Overall - encouraged by the grit and determination against a decent side, and expecting the football to improve.

Just got in (the arrangements for the tram replacements were absolutely farcical, nearly missed kick off, can imagine plenty of you missed your trains back). Very good performance by us I thought, I'm flattered by some of your comments about us. Nuhiu was indeed excellent today and he tends to play like that every week, although his finishing is a bit awful at times his build-up play is ridiculously good for someone his size, first touch always excellent. Glad to see you know the new Maguire now, and by general consensus today was one of his off days (credit to your full back Forsyth for that, I really rated him). May did look a bit sluggish for us, but he's had a week to bed in to a new team and league so I'll give him time, he had a few nice touches. I'm surprised to see our midfielders being described as "brutes" but that is probably testament to the brilliant job Hutchinson did keeping your attacks at bay, he was flying about. He was crucial because the way he covers the whole defence allows us to then play a second striker rather than have to pack the midfield. Also thought Maghoma scared the living daylights out of you for the first 20 minutes just like Antonio did.

As for you, I got the feeling you were below par, but even then you looked very competitive at this level. For me, despite us having the edge in terms of general play you had by far the best chances and if it hadn't been for the God-like Westwood you would have beaten us regardless of our good performance today. As I've said I was impressed by Forsyth, and although I agree cheering Dawkins' substitution was a little below the belt, to be brutally honest he was woeful. I must admit I enjoyed watching Ward storm off down the tunnel, he's a lovely hate figure for us in this league. I thought Hughes seemed frustrated, doesn't he normally bomb forward a bit more? That lad who came off the bench for you certainly changed the game, but the game was starting to swing anyway as we tired (your fitness levels compared to ours scared the living daylights out of me, we're going to need a hell of a lot more squad depth if we're going to be that exhausted every game). I reckon you'll be up there at the end of the season, definitely got you down for the play offs, but unfortunately without the likes of Bamford and Thorne I can't quite see you making the automatic places.

And finally, thank you for staying classy throughout the applause, went off without a hitch. Will have nothing but good memories of your fans, good luck for the rest of the season, until we meet again in February, I enjoy the yearly trip to Pride Park as long as it's not like last year.

Anyone else see a few of our lads get run through Hillsborough Park? One of them took a bit of a kicking in the end. Didn't see what started it though, probably got a bit too mouthy. Surprising lack of police presence on Middlewood Road.

I'm glad McClaren is manager and not some fans. The team would be different every week.

I know how this forum is going to go if things aren't all plain sailing. Didn't think narrow victories or draws would stir up the crazies.

It's like Craig Rammage has multiple accounts.

So far in this calendar year;

Buxton not good enough if we want promotion

Wisdom not good enough going forward

Bamford should be starting

Keogh not good enough

Christie not good enough to be first choice RB

Ward not good enough

Dawkins not good enough

Keogh, Ward and Dawkins not good enough

Team not enough of a goal threat.

Look like conceding at every set piece

Need a goal scorer

Last 12 months have been awful

As for Radio Derby...they made us sound awful and clueless. Yet at one point both Ramage and Dawes reasoned that it was only 3 games in and it would take a while to get back into the swing of things, so why the heck before and after that comment did they make us sound so inept and that we were doomed?

Good point, had the chances to win despite not being at our best. Have we really become so full of self importance that we assume every other side will let us thump them 3-0??

As for Radio Derby...they made us sound awful and clueless. Yet at one point both Ramage and Dawes reasoned that it was only 3 games in and it would take a while to get back into the swing of things, so why the heck before and after that comment did they make us sound so inept and that we were doomed?

Good point, had the chances to win despite not being at our best. Have we really become so full of self importance that we assume every other side will let us thump them 3-0??

They do that whenever I've listened to them. It's like they have a moment where they realise that Forsyth's failed pass to Ward wasn't the worst event since Hiroshima. Doesn't stop them going off on one again.

Always defended Bloomfield in the old threads but these two are awful.

So up and down. And that's from me! I've actually thought of going to the doctors to find out why I suffer from such ridiculous mood swings so frequently!!!

One shot against us becomes us getting penned in and we need to switch on.

Just in - It's becoming harder than ever to get away from that ground - and straight out, so I'll chew over my thoughts over a beer or two.

But one point perhaps worth making that I haven't seen - three games in, no goals conceded. That's gotta be good news. 

Thought Keogh and Bucko were great today.

Home in London by 8... Warp factor 6 was achieved.

Anyone else see a few of our lads get run through Hillsborough Park? One of them took a bit of a kicking in the end. Didn't see what started it though, probably got a bit too mouthy. Surprising lack of police presence on Middlewood Road.

Saw some youths running around the park looking like they were having a game of tag.

Was funny seeing one of their fans smashing a guy in the face thinking he was a Derby fan and then actually realising he was a Wednesday fan!

Archived