Leon Best playing as winger?

InigosLeftPeg

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He did swap with Martin for a little bit, looks good on the ball so far just needs to have a shot rather than look for the layoff!

Agree, had a good effort saved but then seemed more interested in passing to Martin, think more to come from him!

As I mentioned it the match thread, seemed to have a heavy touch and lose his footing a bit tonight but I'm putting it down to rustiness and the weather conditions.

I do enjoy his directness. May need to learn when to do it and when not to a bit more, but for example, when he received the ball over the far side and took the shot on after doing his man, it was not really something any of our other striker(s) can do.

Dont compare him to Martin, they are different styles of striker, Martin has guile, and is a fantastic target man, Beast looks to not have Martins control or a deft touch, but is direct, powerful and difficult to play against, cos he's a beast ! and gives us options up front, and looks to be a much better option than Sammon, once he gets match fit, he may be a very good bit of business by Mac/Evans

He comes alive in and around the box. That's where he is at his best. He isn't the Russell/Dawkins/Ward type player who is going to bust a gut to get the ball back that's for sure. He certainly looked better down the middle.

He looks desperate to impress. Doing alright at it too. 2 sub appearances on the LW and he's done as much as any of the lads who's position that is.

I'm going to struggle to dislike him if he keeps his head down and plays like this.

Looks like he's getting minutes in order to help him get fit.

Not really mobile or quick enough to play wide.

If martin had scored earlier then maybe best would have subbed him and someone else would have come on for Dawkins.

Think it's actually a bonus he can play out wide.

Sammon was either a Martin alternative or simply part of a 4-2-4 last season.

This season, at least Best can come on and we can retain our shape whilst still having Martin on the pitch.

He's not my favourite player in the world, but he is definitely more of a threat than Sammon and offers strength in abundance. Smart move getting him in.

Busy, massively strong and powerful in the shot. What's not to like? He can play wide or central and if he stays fit and keen he'll be one hell of an asset.

i agree with some above. cant see him scoring more than 3 or 4 goals all season. looked a bit like a giraffe at times. hopefully will improve with practice. would be good if he can be used at the end of set pieces and corners to use his strength and height. does he leap like a sammon?

Archived