we need a new centre half

climbon

I've always backed Keogh and didn't want him to be replaced, but having seen his pre season, he looks scared! Whitbread and obrien are always injured and I doubt they will be fit and ready when we need them (ie if keogh or bucko get injured). We now have 2 attacking full backs whos defending is suspect and no thorne to help cover the defence.

Because of all these factors my opinion is we need a new central defender. Someone strong and confident...the brick wall kind. Someone who we have confidence in when fozzy and crissy go on marauding runs (someone like wisdom!)

Harsh on Keogh but I think he should be on the bench, so he's there if either bucko or a.n.other get injured.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's interesting that the dynamic of our defence has now totally changed with the departure of Wisdom and arrival of Christie.

Much of the defensive success in the second part of the season was based on allowing Forsyth to go forward because Wisdom stayed back, creating a back 3.

If Christie is going to charge forward as well, that leaves a back 2, which begs the question can they cope? 

It's a very interesting one. Seeing him last night, the fans and he himself are punishing him and panicking about every misplaced pass, and because everyone is looking for it, they're more obvious to us all.

He needs to (and will) start the season as a starting CB but if he can't get over the panic and worrying about making a mistake, he will not be able to concentrate and will make the mistakes he worries so much about. That will see him lose his place and someone come in. 

However, he needs the chance to prove he is strong enough mentally, and for me, I think he is. He just needs the support from the fans. He made a few mistakes last night, but there was one last ditch block he made which the fans responded to by singing his name. You could see the confidence flood back and he was much better after that. That's what he needs.

End of the day when Wisdom first came in he was bombing up the pitch too (see the crosses for goals by Bryson and Martin) but Mac made sure he stayed back when Forsyth went forward...all Mac needs to do now is to tell them in no uncertain terms that either Christie or Forsyth need to be level with our centre backs at all times. If you see one bomb forward you stay back. 

It's interesting that the dynamic of our defence has now totally changed with the departure of Wisdom and arrival of Christie.

Much of the defensive success in the second part of the season was based on allowing Forsyth to go forward because Wisdom stayed back, creating a back 3.

If Christie is going to charge forward as well, that leaves a back 2, which begs the question can they cope? 

They don't charge forward at the same time?

They wont be charging forward at the same time but when fozzy is bombing on that leaves crissy back which for me doesn't inspire as much confidence as wisdom defensively. I see it as we need a new central defender because whitbread and obrien aren't going to be ready when we need them so we need either a backup defender or 1st team defender. Why not make it a first team defender...improve the team!

From last night, when the full backs pushed up the pitch, the holding mid dropped back, so it was more like a 3-4-3.

As for dropping Keogh, that will only destroy any remaining confidence. He is still looking fragile, barely place a pass and was caught again last night, and even lost track of the ball completely at one point.

It's just a matter of time though - he looked better against Burton than he did against Notts (although the quality difference will probably account for some of that...)

No one. Keogh need our support and sing his name he'll know that we're backing him and the team. Go Keogh shut the haters please. Bucko did have the same this time last summer and he proved the haters wrong already lol. :)

i think my argument was a little bit backward. I am not so much saying that we need to replace keogh as such. More that I think we need another defender because of whitbread and obriens injuries...and since we do need a new defwnder we might as well take the opportunity to improve the first team...and keogh would be the one to miss out as apposed to bucko

Archived