Dead ball stuff

nfb

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone but Ward. Ikeston lost two balls because of him on Saturday. Eagles would probably solve our problem. Other than that I guess we are just going to have to work some set piece routines.

That made me laugh, probably 10% of their budget for next season gone right there........

This has been a bug bearer of mine for some time now. Culminating having to bite my tongue whilst stood in the corner at the Matlock game and watch **** corners largely by Ward.

But when he does make a decent ball in we don't ever seem to be able to shake our markers and attack the ball. Static in the middle a lot of the time. We desperately need to work on set pieces.

Forsyth for corner kick taker, Hendrick + Thorne lurking outside if box to volley the clearances back in as long range efforts

Martin/ Forsyth for free kick takers (shots) Hendrick needs the ball moving for a long range shot

Thorne/ Forsyth for free kick takers (crosses/ through balls)

Our set pieces are indeed terrible - really dreadful. And they are an easy thing to improve. Simmo used to be pretty useful - I don't understand why we haven't done more about it. And, frankly, Ward is pretty much the worst set piece taker I've ever seen (I like Ward a lot, but I would do better).

It's not simply about shots on goal from dangerous positions (but that's a big part of the modern game). It's also about creative moves and rehearsed plays. And also the urgency and sharp thinking of a quick freekick to completely put the defence off balance.

I would far rather have Martin taking them than Ward. But if I was someone like Will Hughes, I'd be practising them for an hour or two after training every day, making myself indispensable to the team and adding another feather to my already full cap. Currently when he (or most others) takes a cross at the moment (corner or freekick) it's almost invariably floated when what defenders hate is a ball played in with real whip and pace. Or a really clever set play ("from the training ground") to open the defence up in an unexpected way.

Of course, we should be defending them better too. I would say both elements are the easiest and biggest area for potential improvement.

Archived