How to fix the England team?

Rev

Thought it would be a good to hear how you'd improve our national side.

Post your best idea here, maybe when we've got a few a mod could sort a poll?

Different tactics, league rules, manager, coaching, youth development, just the one single thing you would think would make the biggest difference.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Actually saw someone seriously calling for Redknapp on my Facebook feed, I despair.

Personally I'd change youth development and league rules to force more English players to feature. We've taken some steps already to change the former and if we continue to the right direction it might mean we don't need the new rules in the long term as young English players should be good enough to force their way into Premier League teams.

I do hope so anyway because realistically there's no way the Premier League will introduce new rules...

In answer the the OP.... I do think you will see a much stronger England side in the next 5/10 years.

Think what they have started at St George's Park is vital. Still early days there but we will see benefit within 5/10 years.

Also putting decent youth level teams out at prestigious tournaments (Toulon tournament a prime example)

No more deals with premier league teams to look after players whilst on England duty.

Don't pick repeat offenders who pull out of England squads often.

Plough cash and resources into u8s upwards to u16s

Instead of a 90minute radius from club, make it pure homegrown from the nearest city/town the youth player is from.

No overseas players in the youth academies.

And get youth academy players to referee kids games on Sunday mornings.

Oh and councils.... Cut the grass once in a while so kids can train on it! Or build AstroTurf pitches.

Regards the Mafia

Don't agree with forcing teams to pick X amount of English players, all that will do is jack up the price of English players even more. We need to be in the situation where teams are picking english players because they are the best players, not because the rules say they have to. And that means sorting the coaching structure out, so players are identified properly and developed. The focus at youth levels has to be on developing technique, not just getting the biggest strongest players to win games.

And we need to stop teams stockpiling young players - any player who gets to maybe 20 and hasn't had a decent amount of playing time should be allowed to move on, even if it means playing at a lower level. It's crazy to see prem reserve teams full of 21/22 year olds who have no chance of ever breaking through to their first team.

Don't agree with forcing teams to pick X amount of English players, all that will do is jack up the price of English players even more. We need to be in the situation where teams are picking english players because they are the best players, not because the rules say they have to. And that means sorting the coaching structure out, so players are identified properly and developed. The focus at youth levels has to be on developing technique, not just getting the biggest strongest players to win games.

And we need to stop teams stockpiling young players - any player who gets to maybe 20 and hasn't had a decent amount of playing time should be allowed to move on, even if it means playing at a lower level. It's crazy to see prem reserve teams full of 21/22 year olds who have no chance of ever breaking through to their first team.

Problem what you say in your last two or three lines is that these players are not getting a chance is because of all the foreign talent already in front of them in the team.....

I'd rather go with at least five u23 players in a team or match day 18....

Problem what you say in your last two or three lines is that these players are not getting a chance is because of all the foreign talent already in front of them in the team.....

I'd rather go with at least five u23 players in a team or match day 18....

Requiring youth players in the squad is just going to cause weird problems when youth players hit 23. You've effectively got the situation where a club develops a player for years, and as soon as he hits 23, he gets booted out for another younger player. If the players aren't good enough to displace the foreigners ahead of them, they need to move on and play at another club.

Of course, the other side of this is with English players being so overpriced, the better English players aren't moving upwards to the bigger clubs - why would you spend £20m on Jordan Henderson, or £15m on Stewart downing when you can get a foreigner for a fraction of the price.

Requiring youth players in the squad is just going to cause weird problems when youth players hit 23. You've effectively got the situation where a club develops a player for years, and as soon as he hits 23, he gets booted out for another younger player. If the players aren't good enough to displace the foreigners ahead of them, they need to move on and play at another club.

Of course, the other side of this is with English players being so overpriced, the better English players aren't moving upwards to the bigger clubs - why would you spend £20m on Jordan Henderson, or £15m on Stewart downing when you can get a foreigner for a fraction of the price.

Very overpriced.... Look at the England team tonight, there "value" probably matches much better international teams.... Think the transfer windows are a big problem

I have to say I aggree that we need to have more English players playing at a higher standard. Man city won the league, there was one English player from city in the squad tonight. Chelsea, there was also one, arsenal, NONE! Top teams are not playing English players to a high standard. The facts are there, but our country's football is in such a state now that there isn't any return, unless the FA do something... The same goes for any English talent these teams produce, example, bamford, he will go back to Chelsea, sit on the bench his whole life. There are hundreds of these cases, and our national team will never improve if the English players aren't playing. Look at germany, Glenn Johnson is out only natural RB, we lose him, we're buggered. In Germany, I bet if their RB was injured, there would be dozens of equally high standard players that are probably better than we have, chomping at the bit. Nothing will change, it's a money game now.

Very overpriced.... Look at the England team tonight, there "value" probably matches much better international teams.... Think the transfer windows are a big problem

The transfer windows don't help, but the reason they are so overpriced is because of how strong our leagues are, financially. With the amount of money prem and championship teams are making, there's no incentive to sell their best players, unless they are getting silly money. For someone to sign Hughes from us, we'd be wanting at least £8m, probably a whole lot more. So that immediately puts him out of range of anyone bar the top half a dozen prem teams, where he'll spend 3 years playing in the reserves. Whereas (purely in terms of developing international players) he'd be better off going to a mid level prem club for £2m-£3m, playing well for a few seasons and moving on to a bigger clubs first team. But I don't see anyway of 'fixing' that, at least not without completely ruining domestic football.

In regards to the OP, find some defenders who can defend. That's been the downfall this time, pub team defending tonight for both goals, really ridiculous.

We have talent coming through in attack that we have seen this tournament, and that will stand us in good stead, but defensively we have been really poor. And when you come up against the best players in the world, that will always count against you.

Archived