Spain v Netherlands

Day

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

5-3-2 formation has been played twice and won twice, completely dismantled the popular 4-2-3-1 today against Spain

Was virtually 3-5-2 last twenty minutes!

Let me guess - you thought we should of had a penalty for the "foul" on Will Hughes at Wembley? :)

Shouted for it as a fan.... As I do! Fully admit that, but I was 90/100 yards away!

I'll probably get slated here but for 40 minutes I thought Holland were awful. Played a lot of hoofball and if Spain had got some shots away instead if trying to walk it in could have been out of sight.

I wasn't around to post this earlier, but I watched the game.

I was surprised by the scoreline, but not the result. I was extremely confident Spain would at least make the semi-finals but after today's showing they may struggle to get out of the group.

It was horrible all the way through, from the tactics, to personnel to basic mistakes you'd laugh at if it happened in the Championship.

I mentioned a few days ago that I was worried Del Bosque would favour 'the big named players' and that's exactly what he has done, tried to acommodate where it couldn't work.

Xabi Alonso, Busquets and Xavi in midfield is the same player. Where is the midfielder driving on, the Lionel Messi, the Di Maria or the Arjen Robben? David Silva lacks pace also. Iniesta and Jordi Alba were the only quick players out there, the rest were slow and it proved time and again as Holland just ripped through them.

Spain looked so disjointed and a team lacking in motivation. Need pace and urgency, was a massive error to leave out Jesus Navas and Cristian Tello, and Pedro not starting was a bad mistake.

I'd certainly drop Busquets and Xavi, as Xabi Alonso does the job of both of them and they're two wasted players because they're slow. Also Javi Martinez is quicker than Pique, so there is another I'd change.

Spain have to go for Iniesta, Xabi Alonso and Koke in midfielder, with Pedro, Diego Costa and David Villa.

Why are Juan Mata and Santi Cazorla in the squad, they're basically David Silva with less goals. Need pace, they have none!

I didn't think Netherlands were that great either, every single goal was horrible defending. First was poor, second was atrocious, third was a foul, fourth was a bad mistake, fifth was terrible by Ramos. Netherlands definitely played well and deserved to win, but they weren't as good as people are making out. Spain were simply atrocious.

I think one of Spain's biggest problems they'll have to fight is motivation.

Sergio Ramos and Iker Casillas saying Real Madrid's CL win is bigger than any World Cup leaves a bad taste in the mouth and they certainly didn't help their teammates by saying that.

Then again, it was just pathetic all round - similar to Holland's drubbing over World Champions Italy in Euro 2008.

PistoldPete2

Let me guess - you thought we should of had a penalty for the "foul" on Will Hughes at Wembley? :)

Yes and yes. If a defender leaves his leg trailing then it's a peno.

I didn't think Netherlands were that great either, every single goal was horrible defending. First was poor, second was atrocious, third was a foul, fourth was a bad mistake, fifth was terrible by Ramos. Netherlands definitely played well and deserved to win, but they weren't as good as people are making out. Spain were simply atrocious.

A large percentage of all goals come from mistakes.

Archived