Norwich ,Fulham,Cardiff and Wolves will make it a tougher Championship campaign

Curtains

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's not that tough when you consider we don't have QPR, Leicester and Burnley to contend with.

2 loanees and we're there.

I'm not as confident as some and that includes Sam Rush etc.

Steve doesn't need to take his eye off the ball.

We need to replace Wisdom, Bamford and Thorne.

The defence needs strengthening !

Confident of what exactly?

A top 2 place?

A top 6 place?

With this side, we are unlikely to finish in the top two but have every chance to be in or around the top six. 

Many Rams fans have delusions of grandeur based on what we did last season but I'm of the opinion that a top 6 place would represent another good season. 

To obtain that, we'll need to replace Thorne and Wisdom and the players that played last season will at worst need to play to the level they achieved last season. Not easy...

Confident of what exactly?

A top 2 place?

A top 6 place?

With this side, we are unlikely to finish in the top two but have every chance to be in or around the top six.

Many Rams fans have delusions of grandeur based on what we did last season but I'm of the opinion that a top 6 place would represent another good season.

To obtain that, we'll need to replace Thorne and Wisdom and the players that played last season will at worst need to play to the level they achieved last season. Not easy...

I'm of the belief we need to strengthen at the Centre of the defense as back up or to replace Keogh and Buxton. Both full back positions are also in need of back up and replacement.

You are so right about delusions of grandeur.

Steve needs to step up to the plate again as we maybe overachieved last season.

The league will be no weaker or stronger than it is any other season. Why does everyone think Wolves are going to be amazing? When has Kenny Jackett ever been promoted to the Premiership? Cardiff have been in complete meltdown and have a totally inexperienced manager. Norwich have more stability but an inexperienced manager, and I can't see any of the fancy Fulham lads liking it in the Championship.

I expect stronger seasons from the likes of Blackburn and Bolton, while Forest could be top six or just as easily bottom six depending on how Pearce gets on. Bournemouth and Brighton finished the season well and could be in contention, while Wigan would be the team I fancy strongest.

We came very close to automatic promotion and that should be our aim again. We will ned to strengthen and certain players will need to improve, but its achievable. That's no delusions of grandeur, I just don't see why we shouldn't be capable.

Well, it seems certain that Thorne will NOT be returning next season so another top-notch midfield anchorman will be needed.

Cannot see an automatic promotion place (missed the boat last season sadly due to two exceptional teams in Leicester and Burnley) but another good campaign should secure a play-off spot.

Most Rams fans would probably accept a play-off spot if it was guaranteed now.

The relegated teams now have just too much financial muscle for the rest and will take no notice of Financial Fair Play to make sure they are promoted straight back to the PL.

Cardiff have signed three new strikers already.:(

take a hike but I do miss BOB

Hit a nerve did I ?

I have no plans to take a hike in the near future and certainly not at your behest.

We have more reasons to be optimistic than we have had for quite a while there's a feelgood factor around the club yet you felt compelled to attempt to put a dampener on it.

I can't make my mind up whether you post stuff to get attention or you're just daft.

Anyway, I'll leave you to it.  :)

We were the third best team in the championship last season, why should Rams fans not be looking for a top two finish?

As has been pointed out, the three relegated teams have next to no experience of this league, and two have very little managerial experience, I think they will do what Blackburn and Bolton both did when they came down.

Wolves are the biggest threat of the promoted sides - KJ knows the league well.

Forest have already made moves, Fryatt is a decent signing for this league.

I disagree, if anything it's easier.

Reading came down with a proven Championship manager at the helm after just being relegated in the Premier League.

Wigan came down as FA Cup champions, but appointed Owen Coyle and effectively threw their season away.

QPR came down the most expensive side ever in this division, along with one of the most experienced managers in the game. 

This season:

Fulham have come down with an ageing squad, amid some very talented young players without experience and a manager who I doubt even knew what the Championship was 12-months ago.

Norwich have come down, like Wigan, with a good side, but appointed an inexperienced coach. 

Cardiff City, like Fulham, have an inexperienced manager at this level and, in my opinion, a poor manager overall. If they'd have kept Malky then I'd have been in no doubts they'd be challenging, but as it stands they'll be lucky.

Wolves, let's not get carried away here, they did well last season, but it's a huge, huge step up between League One and Championship level. They'll be safe and have a chance, but they won't storm the league. 

Wigan, Reading...etc have had to cut their cloth accordingly. Forest have taken a HUGE step backwards in management. Rotherham and Brentford, like Yeovil, will struggle immensely. Hyypia, I like as a manager, but like Magath will know very little about the Championship - I guess it's a signal of intent by Brighton though.

I think as long as we don't take a hit in quality, we'll be very, very well placed for promotion. However, if we lost Bryson and Hughes and didn't bring Thorne or Wisdom back, then we could very well find ourselves languishing towards mid-table again, so I guess it swings and roundabouts.

Archived