Play-off Final: Derby County v Queens Park Rangers

CumbrianRam

Spot on? He couldn't do much else other than tell all his players to pull back.

The goal came out of absolutely nothing and there was no tactical nous to it. I was dreading that goal, as heading into extra-time with momentum and Bamford coming on we would have been massive favourites.

Richard Keogh and Bobby Zamora bailed Harry out tonight, as for all the money Harry has spent on that squad, they weren't the third best team to go up and they certainly weren't the best team tonight.

I think they won though,didn't they.Harry set his 10 men out to keep their defensive shape

and keep his main strikers to try and score whenever they had a break,he succeeded.You

have to look at the whole picture.

• Replies 789
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I too am bemused at the removal of Hughes, I thought he was very good again today.

They defended manfully and you got a feeling something like that may happen, it is bad though going down to a teams one shot on target all game.

Would like to keep Thorne, but fear he will be Premier bound so will Hughes.

Fair play to McClaren for even getting us this far. I would have grabbed someones hand off if they told me at the start of last season that we would finish 3rd. Least QPR and going to get shafted now on the FFP regulations big time, small consolation.

From a Palace fan. Really, really gutted for you all. Football was the loser today. Keep the faith, though. You've got a really good team spirit there and that will see you crack it next year.

All the very best for the future, lads and lasses. Great club, great fans and keep your chins up.

Once again Richard Keogh has caused another goal against, hes got away with it all season with his nervous style off play because of a superb team around him; now for all his good points its caught up with him big time.

I think they won though,didn't they.Harry set his 10 men out to keep their defensive shape

and keep his main strikers to try and score whenever they had a break,he succeeded.You

have to look at the whole picture.

Telling your players to sit on the 18-yard line and hoof balls forward is the easiest tactic in football. I'm not begrudging QPR's win, other than Harry Redknapp's tatical nous had nothing to do with it.

Like what has been said, QPR could replicate the same tactics another ten times and they wouldn't have won that game.

The biggest what if for was the the introduction of Dawkins. I like him as a player, but he was the wrong choice at the time. Bamford was the right choice, and it's probably a decision which will haunt McLaren all summer rather than Keogh's bad error at the end.

Derby manager Steve McClaren speaking to BBC Sport: "It was the cruellest game ever. I've lost some games in my career but that is the cruellest. We didn't deserve that but you don't often get what you deserve. For somebody to make mistakes - we don't blame anybody. I'm so proud of the players for what they've achieved this season and for how they played today. You could only see one winner. Maybe we're not ready yet with this young team.

"QPR showed their experience, they made it tight but they never looked like scoring. We had a lot of the ball, got it wide and put it in dangerous areas but credit to QPR, they made it hard to break down. They held their nerve and unfortunately they got the moment.

"Football tests your character at times. But the players stepped up to a big test and dominated the game with great energy and passion. Humility is a key thing in football and this will make us stronger."

Telling your players to sit on the 18-yard line and hoof balls forward is the easiest tactic in football. I'm not begrudging QPR's win, other than Harry Redknapp's tatical nous had nothing to do with it.

Like what has been said, QPR could replicate the same tactics another ten times and they wouldn't have won that game.

The biggest what if for was the the introduction of Dawkins. I like him as a player, but he was the wrong choice at the time. Bamford was the right choice, and it's probably a decision which will haunt McLaren all summer rather than Keogh's bad error at the end.

thats where i personally think we lost it, i couldnt beleive it when i saw that dawkins was coming on for russel, surprised to see russel subbed, and if it was to be a sub, then it should have been bamford, i said after HT that it would take one moment of quality or mistake to win it, therefore we needed bamford to come on, i dont blame keogh, he slipped, nothing he could do about it, i blame rob green having an outstanding display, bringing dawkins, and o'neil bringing down russel through on goal as to why we will be in the championship next season

Love Steve's attitude here, hopefully this heartache will galvanise the lads to put it right next season.

Said it many times, if we can keep this team, then there is something very special awaiting us.

Yep. This loss gives Steve one more year to build us a Premier team. Steve's first full season with us. Good things will follow.

Queens Park Rangers manager Harry Redknapp: "An amazing finish to a game. Down to 10 men and then Derby start to create chances. I thought the centre backs headed some great balls out of the box. I'll be truthful we were looking for extra time and penalties and then Bobby does that. What a finish.

"I looked at us at the start of the season and 18 players left us. A lot of them were very good players we had to let go. I took Richard Dunne on a free and no one else wanted him. He's been incredible for us and against Wigan and today he was immense."

Credit Harry Redknapp for wheeling and dealing here, he bought a player (on $30k-a-week wages) that no-one else wanted. 

Fantastic manager who has perfomed a miracle getting QPR and their $60m+ wage bill out of the Championship off the back of a sensational tactical display.

Really hope to see a bid for Thorne from our club this week. If he doesn't want to play Championship football, I fully respect that but it will show our ambition.

I am gutted today but let's hope the players and manager learn from their mistakes and we can come back fresh for another attempt next season at auto promotion.

Archived