Play-off Final: Derby County v Queens Park Rangers

CumbrianRam

Morning Rams - another hoop here.   Just to echo that our fans should not be judged by Wearetherangersboys forum.    mostly balanced views and debate to found on loftforwords or qprdot.org

Like Derby, nervous about Saturday.   Should be a cracker.

• Replies 789
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Against Brighton in the semi final, they fell apart when they lost a central defender and seemed to have no plan B. For me, the biggest fear would be losing one or both fullbacks. What would be the plan to cover?

I'd have thought Hendrick would have to replace Wisdom at right back, and Keogh would cover for Forsyth at left back (with Whitbread coming into the centre). Or, given our likely 18 on the day, do we have better alternatives? I'm envisaging (cover from within the starting 11 or from the bench in parentheses):

I think we'd switch to 3-5-2, as Wisdom/Bucko/Keogh/WHitbread can all play CB, we'd always be able to do that if one of the defence got injured. We'd just have Forsyth/Ward/Russell/Hendrick play the full back, and the midfield/attack sorts itself out.

The switch we've made when chasing games is to go 424, but that was usually taking off Eustace to accommodate Sammon. That might not be so obvious a change now Thorne is playing so well.

We've never to my recollection stuck defenders on to shore it up if we're winning. 

Injury cover would be;

GK Legzdins

RB Hendrick (played briefly at RB as a sub) or Keogh and Whitbread on at centre half.

CB Whitbread

LB Whitbread (Naylor probably not on bench)

DM Eustace cover for Thorne. NOT Hendrick - remember Leicester away.

AM Hughes/Bryson/Hendrick pick two of three, the other is cover.

W Ward/Russell/Dawkins/Bamford 2 from 4, others cover, but Ward and Russell will surely start?

CF Martin, Bamford or Sammon. Probably Sammon, but Sammon isn't technically good enough to do what Martin does and Bamford probably isn't strong enough.

Bench for me: Legzdins, Whitbread, Eustace, Dawkins, Bamford, Hughes/Bryson/Hendrick, Sammon.

Agree with LR. If we're chasing the game late, drop to a 3 at the back and charge.

Hey wiser was just curious how many tickets have you guys sold as I can't find any info anywhere?

Hey wiser was just curious how many tickets have you guys sold as I can't find any info anywhere?

Yes about 8,000 left last night which was the end of season ticket and membership card holders window.   Today's window is for season ticket holders to buy extra if the want to and then tomorrow it goes on general sale.   I expect there to be no more than 1-2k going on general sale tomorrow but could be wrong.   

Beauty of play off final is that 80%+ of the ground will be filled by supporters of the two teams and not corporates, VIPs, etc like FA cup etc.     Should be a fantastic day, just hope that I'm the one smiling at the end the of it but I think it's too tight to call.   

Anyway as I said I like Derby, proper club, proper history but god i hope you lose.

Yes about 8,000 left last night which was the end of season ticket and membership card holders window. Today's window is for season ticket holders to buy extra if the want to and then tomorrow it goes on general sale. I expect there to be no more than 1-2k going on general sale tomorrow but could be wrong.

Beauty of play off final is that 80%+ of the ground will be filled by supporters of the two teams and not corporates, VIPs, etc like FA cup etc. Should be a fantastic day, just hope that I'm the one smiling at the end the of it but I think it's too tight to call.

Anyway as I said I like Derby, proper club, proper history but god i hope you lose.

Agree about the attendance. It's awful that you can go two clubs going to that ground and they're offered under 30k each

Think if we conquer the occasion then we'll win. We're at our best when we take risks and play quickly.

A big game like this... it's easy to try too hard to take care. To play safe. That's all I'm worried about. If we don't play recklessly and try to play a way that's not natural then we'll lose. We'll start rocking under pressure and Austin will score against us AGAIN.

We need some of your teams arrogance.

This week, I have my daughters 16th birthday, with a german exam in the morning (her not me) - a trip to Sheffield to see McBusted, Eldest going next night to Nottingham - more exams - Friday - leavers assembly, my little girl leaving school - prom till midnight - up early next day for the coach to Wembley.......

SUNDAY - exhausted - skint - emotionally drained - proud of my kids and my football team, whatever happens.  :wub:

If we don't go up on Saturday then I don't see us needing the playoffs next season. 

The sides that have come down are gash, and the rest of the division won't be any different. Wigan - Meh, Reading - Yawn, Brighton - Nuh huh, Forest -  :lol:

Couldnt agree with you more (though think you will beat us). The only one I would look at is Wigan, as their manager is very good. Possibly Wolves as Kenny did amazingly well at cash strapped Wall and to turn around the car crash of woles, would leave them as a surprise package, IMO

Schtevee will make sure your side will carry on with the rich vein of entertaining football (which is what most want to see, though given your history, you probably have more glory hunters than us)

Archived