Player Suggestion Thread - Summer 2014

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Agree...

And think if Hanson was a Hughes standard of youngster we would know about it by now... We've known about Bennett for 2 yrs now and he's not up to the Hughes standard...

But no one knew anything about Hughes until he broke into the first team

Chalobah would definitely possible if we front up the wages, but I don't understand why we would.

He is a defensive midfielder but he's just as slight as Hughes and makes less of a defensive contribution than him too. He's basically a poorer version of Hughes, in my opinion. 

Ake doesn't have the tactical nous to play the role either. Poyet may be a good option, he can tackle at least, but will offer nothing in terms of an attacking threat. 

I feel if we're going to bring someone in then they've got to be better than Hughes in that role and I haven't seen many. Will Hughes is England's under 21 defensive midfielder, along with Chalobah, so it's an incredibly difficult task unless more experienced players become available. 

He is nothing like Hughes. Much stronger and can also play CB so loads better defensively than Hughes. As he can play more than one position he would be an ideal loan.

Grant Holt has had a couple of mentions on here before but no real follow-up because perhaps he is an ex-Florist?

However,I think he could be an interesting proposition for us for many reasons, acknowledging that he is 33 now and had a poor season just gone.

1) He has a proven goal scoring record and clearly much experience to offer to our younger lads. 24 months ago he was being touted for an England selection.

2) Not only would he provide direct replacement cover for Chris Martin he has a proven and prolific scoring relationship working along side him at Norwich a few years back taking them up to the Prem.

3) I think we MUST have a Plan B this year as more teams work out or try to frustrate our passing style through Chris Martin. 442 or 352 or 4132 are formations we will need at some stage which I don't think we have with either Connor Sammon or Jamie Ward as current supporting options and although I am a bigger fan of Johnny Russell I am not sure he is ideal through the middle.

4) I doubt if he would be too expensive now and I guess he isn't a Rosler favourite as he was signed by Coyne and shipped to the Villa soon after Rosler arrived. I wonder too whether a deal could be finessed with Ward or Sammon perhaps going the other way. I think the latter 2 have contributed much to the squad last year, and Ward for many years, but I would rather have Holt and an exciting young loanee wing prospect (instead of) over the next 12 months.

Grant Holt has had a couple of mentions on here before but no real follow-up because perhaps he is an ex-Florist?

However,I think he could be an interesting proposition for us for many reasons, acknowledging that he is 33 now and had a poor season just gone.

1) He has a proven goal scoring record and clearly much experience to offer to our younger lads. 24 months ago he was being touted for an England selection.

2) Not only would he provide direct replacement cover for Chris Martin he has a proven and prolific scoring relationship working along side him at Norwich a few years back taking them up to the Prem.

3) I think we MUST have a Plan B this year as more teams work out or try to frustrate our passing style through Chris Martin. 442 or 352 or 4132 are formations we will need at some stage which I don't think we have with either Connor Sammon or Jamie Ward as current supporting options and although I am a bigger fan of Johnny Russell I am not sure he is ideal through the middle.

4) I doubt if he would be too expensive now and I guess he isn't a Rosler favourite as he was signed by Coyne and shipped to the Villa soon after Rosler arrived. I wonder too whether a deal could be finessed with Ward or Sammon perhaps going the other way. I think the latter 2 have contributed much to the squad last year, and Ward for many years, but I would rather have Holt and an exciting young loanee wing prospect (instead of) over the next 12 months.

He's on huge wages, hence why Wigan want rid.

Archived