Player Suggestion Thread - Summer 2014

oomarkwright

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Forum challenge : Who can get the most outlandish article in the telegraph. This one takes some beating. Bravo sir, bravo.

I'm not happy we didn't bid for Falcao on loan ;-) My German CB mate told me Falcao loves fried mars bars, pints of pedigree and his interests out of football include aircraft engine compressor design.

I know this is Summer 2014 but next summer (2015) Gael Kakuta runs out of contract if Chelsea doesn't renew it!!! If we are playing premier league football by then I think this could be a great signing!!! Anyone agree?

He's never performed well in his entire career. No thanks.

Why haven't we gone for free agents like Jack Collison, George McCartney, Chris Eagles, Matthew Etherington and Mikele Leigertwood. Collison is a good player just hampered by injuries but he could be over them now, McCartney is a stronger more experienced left than Naylor our current back up, Eagles can blow hot and cold but on his day is dangerous, Etherington is experienced and can be dangerous and Leigertwood would play the holding midfield role that we need to nail down plus he knows the league and wouldn't be too light weight. There are other free agents that wouldn't be bad but I just don't understand why we haven't enquired about any of these players.

Why haven't we gone for free agents like Jack Collison, George McCartney, Chris Eagles, Matthew Etherington and Mikele Leigertwood. Collison is a good player just hampered by injuries but he could be over them now, McCartney is a stronger more experienced left than Naylor our current back up, Eagles can blow hot and cold but on his day is dangerous, Etherington is experienced and can be dangerous and Leigertwood would play the holding midfield role that we need to nail down plus he knows the league and wouldn't be too light weight. There are other free agents that wouldn't be bad but I just don't understand why we haven't enquired about any of these players.

All of those players (minus maybe Leigertwood who isn't very good) would be on huge wages. I'm not even sure any of them would be an improvement on our team. Big name doesn't equal improvement. Turn off Football manager and snap back to reality.

At some point though we will have to pay big wages. We can't expect to get promoted and keep a limited and small wage budget because we won't attract the players. I know big name doesn't mean improvement but cheap alternatives from league 1 or the Scottish Premier or young players who haven't even made the grade yet won't get us promoted.

At some point though we will have to pay big wages. We can't expect to get promoted and keep a limited and small wage budget because we won't attract the players. I know big name doesn't mean improvement but cheap alternatives from league 1 or the Scottish Premier or young players who haven't even made the grade yet won't get us promoted.

I'll tell you what Burnley must have been splashing the cash on wages... Right?!

We must have done too because we finished third... Right?!

Oh wait! No they didn't and neither did we!

It nearly did. Perhaps if lady luck didn't have it in for us we would have.

As soon as we gain promotion, bigger contracts will be handed to the first teamers who have a role to play in the prem, and larger contracts will be there to entice big talent to the club. We're not in the prem yet, and until then whatever we're doing is working so why change? Also, those players wouldn't improve us now, let alone in the prem.

Hey Peeps... We just finished giving half the first team new contracts... do you think they were smaller contracts or do you think maybe we're paying our players more?

BTW Burnley stopped bidding for Bryson after he signed a new contract... maybe suggests we gave him more than Burnley were then prepared to?

Burnley only put one bid in.. his release clause.

Our contract was to take that release clause out so he wasn't sold for 750k.

And a pay rise surely? You think he just came in and signed a 5 yr deal with no pay increase?

And the suggestion was that Burnley had tabled a

He'd have got a payrise but I doubt it was more than what Burnley were offering. Probably matched it and then it was a straight decision between us and them.

All the information at the time suggested that we were paying more than they would. At least that's how I read it

It makes sense we would pay Bryson more than Burnley as he is a risk as he might not adapt to the premier league and then drop in value due to wage, a similar situation to Brayford could have occurred. Derby were willing to give him a raise due to our summer agenda of keeping the core of the team.

My only loan suggestion, which seems daft given the situation, is Diego Poyet. 

He's a lot better defensively than Thorne is/was, but unlike George  :wub: he offers little in attack - well, he offers nothing in attack.

He tackles, intercepts and passes along with the best in the league, but fails to offer a cutting edge. I would prefer him over Eustace and give Hendrick, Mascarell...etc more freedom in the two attack-minded CM positions. 

http://www.london24.com/sport/football/clubs/arsenal/top_9_premier_league_stars_in_desperate_need_of_championship_loan_moves_1_3757299 

suggests he could be available, although, it is a blog(ish) type piece.

I thought he was an attacking midfielder?

Well every day's a school day... sounds like a fair shout...

He is the anti-attacking midfielder. He registered less shots than Buxton last season, haha.

Still, he was one of the most prolific - can you call it that - defensive players in the whole league.

I think we need that type of player, even after bringing in Mascarell who seems to be more of a Hughes type.

Archived