Virgin Cable TV (Tivo)

Wolfie

After about a dozen years with SKY, I'm thinking I've paid enough to help fund Mr Murdoch's hollowed out volcano and am thinking of switching to Virgin.

TV, Phone & Internet package is considerably cheaper than the SKY equivalent (I don't have sports or movies, as the pub and Lovefilm fulfil those needs). Internet speed is also better than BT infinity, that I currently have.

The only channel I'd be even slightly bothered about losing is SKY Atlantic but I was wondering if Virgin was as good to use?. The fact it has a triple tuner is a bonus for me, as we often seem to have recording clashes but otherwise looks much the same functionality.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sounds like the same package as I have. The internet speed (60 mbps' hard-wired' into the desktop, about 50 mbps wirelessly to the laptop, even when the missus is using hers at the same time) is excellent, with the prospect of increased speed soon.

The tivo box does everything you'd expect, but it's not without its quirks - it has a 'suggestions' section in the recording area which you need to keep an eye on, because it will suddenly record stuff you have absolutely no intention of watching. Ever. You can link seires, all the usual stuff.

The 3 tuners is a bit of a bonus. The phone I never use but it comes with the package. I kept my 'BT' line and its number - too much hassle to change and the package is cheaper and better. It sounds wasteful but the actual annual extra cost was minimal considering the amount of hassle avoided.

There's even an equivalent of SkyGo I believe but I've not used it yet, but don't quote me on that. If it's cheaper, it's definitely worth it, just a bit of a learning curve.

Hope that helps

With the suggestions thingy, if it decides to record something.

just go into it and give it 3 thumbs down and it wont record it ever again.

Thanks for the tip. I'll give it a go. Presumably you can 'thumbs up' it if you need to record it in the future.

Virgin Tivo is awesome in its capability, however as Daveo said its a bit of a fiddle, however gets easier as you get use to it.

Yes you will lose Sky Atlantic, however there are plenty of sites that can aid you in watching the programmes you will miss.

The one thing I do like on TiVo is when you're watching a recorded programme and fast forwarding through the ads, say you don't hit play quick enough and it runs into the programme, it pulls it back to the start.

What I miss is simple reminders, you have to record and remind.

The one thing I do like on TiVo is when you're watching a recorded programme and fast forwarding through the ads, say you don't hit play quick enough and it runs into the programme, it pulls it back to the start.

What I miss is simple reminders, you have to record and remind.

Yep that's clever as eck.....how'd they do that?

We got the TiVo box at Christmas, it's brilliant and frustrating at the same time. Some times if planned recordings overlap others by 2 minutes it will stop recording one.

I love that you can connect the iPhone you tube app to the TiVo box and cast the video onto the screen. The built in apps are very useful as well

Archived