St Georges day

froggg

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When people say they "celebrate" it, you just get pissed don't you and say you're being patriotic?

No not at all, I celebrate by visiting places that were important to our ancestors, by thinking about my heritage and by thinking of ways to pass on that heritage to young uns.

A few years ago in Ilkeston we used to have the biggest St. George's day celebrations in the country. A procession through the town to a local park where we had re-enactments, fairground rides and stalls, live music and exhibitions. Then the racists, yes, racists at Erewash Borough Coucil, together with the police decided to put a stop to it. The police wanted in excess of £20,000 and the council came up with reason after reason to stop us using the park. Is it likely they would have done this to any other ethnic or national group? I say no they wouldn't.

Yeap St George, what a true Brit he was

Roman soldier, born in Palestine - what's not to like?

Nowadays he would have strapped two pounds of Semtex to his forehead and nutted the dragon to oblivion.

St, George's Day is not going to be a Bank Holiday any time soon. Its moved on the Church of the England calender depending on when Easter is, the full moon and how the tea leaves shape up or whatever quaint ritual the Church uses nowadays to decide these things.....soooooooo.........

If people genuinely want to celebrate a day of "Englishness" then why not choose the nearest Saturday to the 23rd April (next year 23rd is a Thursday so Saturday 25th April would be ideal), and arrange a party, all day session in the pub or whatever tickles your fancy. Plenty in Derby do get together for a drink on the 23rd btw but a weekend would possibly make it more inclusive.

Email or write to your local councillors and ask them to do an "English" market, stick a few flags up in the town centres, invite the  local Morris Dancers to perform, kids rides, face painting, etc, etc, all with a St. George/English theme.

You'd be surprised how quickly it would catch on if a few towns and villages started doing this, you'd also be surprised how many immigrant families would join in as well! 

Unless of course you just want a get together to abuse foreigners.

Roman soldier, born in Palestine - what's not to like?

Nowadays he would have strapped two pounds of Semtex to his forehead and nutted the dragon to oblivion.

The race and place of birth of a largely mythical person is irrelevant. It's the idea that matters, an ideal to rally around. St. Patrick was British, St. Andrew a Jew. If you don't like George celebrate Sigurd, Beowulf, Alfred the Great or Hereward.

St, George's Day is not going to be a Bank Holiday any time soon. Its moved on the Church of the England calender depending on when Easter is, the full moon and how the tea leaves shape up or whatever quaint ritual the Church uses nowadays to decide these things.....soooooooo.........

If people genuinely want to celebrate a day of "Englishness" then why not choose the nearest Saturday to the 23rd April (next year 23rd is a Thursday so Saturday 25th April would be ideal), and arrange a party, all day session in the pub or whatever tickles your fancy. Plenty in Derby do get together for a drink on the 23rd btw but a weekend would possibly make it more inclusive.

Email or write to your local councillors and ask them to do an "English" market, stick a few flags up in the town centres, invite the  local Morris Dancers to perform, kids rides, face painting, etc, etc, all with a St. George/English theme.

You'd be surprised how quickly it would catch on if a few towns and villages started doing this, you'd also be surprised how many immigrant families would join in as well! 

Couldn't agree more, but be prepared for some lunatic councillor to brand you a racist. I'm afraid that to many products of our modern liberal education system English automatically equals racist.

Email or write to your local councillors and ask them to do an "English" market, stick a few flags up in the town centres, invite the local Morris Dancers to perform, kids rides, face painting, etc, etc, all with a St. George/English theme.

That's a great idea.

And whilst I don't have a problem with foreigners, I don't want all things English as I know them to be lost in the multi-cultural society we have now.

It should be celebrated more, you're right there.

The race and place of birth of a largely mythical person is irrelevant. It's the idea that matters, an ideal to rally around. St. Patrick was British, St. Andrew a Jew. If you don't like George celebrate Sigurd, Beowulf, Alfred the Great or Hereward.

I prefer to celebrate the feast of St Zak.

2 November

Considering being English is a constant source of embarrassment, rather than pride, I'll celebrate by working late and having a chip cob.

Chicken Tikka Masala, surely?

Couldn't agree more, but be prepared for some lunatic councillor to brand you a racist. I'm afraid that to many products of our modern liberal education system English automatically equals racist.

What toss. You poor downtrodden Englishman.

Are you really so insecure about your identity that you need a symbol to rally around, a national day?

You are what you are. Love yourself. You don't need religious iconography to identify with in order to be yourself.

Archived