If in champ next season

Mafiabob

The champ is pretty poor this season. Only 5 good teams in it.

We've already beaten Hull's 79 points to finish 2nd last season, and 2 wins will match Cardiff's 87 to win it - suggests its a lot less competitive. Leicester with the same squad from last season have gone from sneaking 6th to walking the league.

Expect it to be a bit tougher next year - one of Qpr/Wigan will still be here, the 3 relegated teams plus sides like Bournemouth will invest heavily in the summer and strengthen

Which is the reason I want us to take our chance at promotion at first sight it will be so tough next year, we should finish in the top 6 but will be even harder, you also forgot to mention wolves...

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's pretty much the same every year, as someone has said. In fact, I think this year has been pretty good. Look at some of the teams struggling even though they have £20m a year budgets... I think to say it has been easy is an incredible injustice. 

I believe we will be there, or thereabouts next season if we don't go up. I can't see us crash and burning, nor would we lose loads of players that we couldn't replace or anything like that.

It would be a pretty simple, steady pre-season I imagine. 5 in, 4 out.. kind of thing. 

Also, I definitely wouldn't worry about Wolves - they're no better than a mid-table Championship side. 

It obviously all depends what happens from now, until the start of next season. But, I would imagine whatever happens, we will be up there again. 

I'd hardly say it's the same. Some years go down to the wire for the top 2 (last season), and some years the top 2 run away with it (WBA and Newcastle a few years back). Some seasons most teams are on a level playing fields, and they'll be a 10 points between 10th and 20th. Some years they'll be a huge gap.

I think it'll be pretty open next year, but I feel with the quality of the current top 6, we'll get to Wembley. It's then just about a off game, and with McClarens good cup record, who knows. Can't wait

I won't the change much, no real standout team coming down, yes Wolves are coming up but they have a major drop in PL money next season, some teams will fall, some teams will rise same old, same old.

People always say the league gets stronger next season, it hardly ever does. 09/10 and this season were two strong seasons from the top teams.

Well the three relegated teams from the PL all look like making the top 6 this season. Has this ever happened before?

I don't buy the 'it gets harder' etc..

I think Derby will be in a very good position regardless, I can't see us losing loads of players like Watford did last season.

If we keep the likes of Buxton, Keogh, Grant, Bryson, Hendrick, Hughes, Ward, Dawkins, Russell and Martin we have the basis of a top 10 squad right there...

Obviously McLaren will stay, we have a really settled team on and off the pitch. There would be no excuses about people needing to gel etc.. and no real patching up work in the summer.

I'd be amazed if we don't finish in the top 6 next year should we not go up this season..

Our priority must be to replace the loanees.

If we replace them with yet more loans it could be a case of 'after the Lord Mayors show'.

It is i possible to sustain anything if 1/3 of the team go back to other clubs after each season.

The fact that we have done well one season is no guarantee that we will do well the next if key components are lost and not adequately replaced.

Remember finishing third with george burley, before becoming a disaster under phil brown?

We lost huddlestone and rasiak and the wheels totally fell off - 2 players.

The championship is a division where it is a thin line between success and mediocrity.

If we sold Hughes and Bryson, we would cash £10m, roughly.

I think we'd be okay - whoever we stand to lose in the summer, we should be in for some money.

Plus, the connections to Chelsea, Liverpool...etc could benefit us quite a lot - I don't think it will be a big problem regardless.

If we sold Hughes and Bryson, we would cash £10m, roughly.

I think we'd be okay - whoever we stand to lose in the summer, we should be in for some money.

Plus, the connections to Chelsea, Liverpool...etc could benefit us quite a lot - I don't think it will be a big problem regardless.

the heart of the team out the door for 10 mil. Nah

I think if we are in the championship next season i think we will be up there again, as fingers crossed Steve will work his magic on the team, i think the board are now more committed than ever to 'the next level' and we will see movement of players in and out, hopefully Chris Evans will earn his money....

i am more worried about if we go up... :huh:

and without the major investment we will require,which im not sure will come (funding a Championship side is one thing, the Prem is another as we know! ) and we struggle.....  out will come sideshow bob and all his ilk, and there will be a cry for McClarens head, the board capitulate, we still go down with a new manager and we are back to the merry go round of managers, and mid table or worse Championship football.

So my plea to the board is - have the sense to look at the big picture before capitulating with the moaners, you put the men in place, now back them..... in every way.

Now bring on the play offs :)

You'd hope that Maclaren talked them through the logic of this before he took the job. I'm seriously hoping (though getting a bit tight in the throat on the prospect of the Prem again) we take a responsible, proactive position...To be fair, as you say, the board have played the longer game over the past five years and everything screams that they believe it's time.

The teams that come down and hit financial problems ade generally those who went up and stayed a few seasons, building up their wage bill and squad. The players who get promoted with you are more likely to have a promotion/relegation wage variation clause in their contract.

If you are signing say 8 new players after promotion, it would also be wise to make two of them season long loans from top 6 clubs.

Archived