Could we live without Hughes

jimbobram

But there's no point in having loads of possession if you're just going to pass it around the back, knock it about a bit then lose it. You have to have direction.

All our goals were as a result of being direct in possession: the first started by ward running at the back line, the second quick and incisive interplay between Bamford, Martin and Bryson, the third you mentioned, the fourth russell running directly at their defence and the fifth a ball over the top from Thorne.

Being direct doesn't mean hoofing it, it requires intelligence and skill, and it is something that McClaren had brought to the side.

Why you wouldn't want to see the ball flying into the opposition's net is beyond me.

I am pretty sure that I didn't say that I wanted to see them passing the ball around the back and lose it?

I think you are confusing being direct with being positive (which Derby were).

I was responding to your comment that you don't care if the opposition has 99% of play so long as Derby score.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So would Bamford! Wasn't impressed by the way he just gave up after the pass for the third goal. Fair play, he wasn't needed, but I thought he would bomb forward in case he was needed!

Hughes is vital to us.

Both he and dcfc should commit to another 2 years together.

P.s. Had Hendrick missed he would have been absolutely slaughtered.

I am pretty sure that I didn't say that I wanted to see them passing the ball around the back and lose it?

I think you are confusing being direct with being positive (which Derby were).

I was responding to your comment that you don't care if the opposition has 99% of play so long as Derby score.

No, but I didn't say you did

No, I'm not

No, I was guilty of a slight exaggeration; what I meant was that if team  A has loads of possession but does nothing meaningful with it and team B has less possession but does something meaningful with it, give me team B every time. Which we probably both agree on.

Yes did his hip flexor in training on Monday and that's a different injury to the groin problem he had.

probably best, not to be negative, and im not saying hes weak or anything, but he would have probably been slaughtered by ipswich's physicality and would probably be out for longer

probably best, not to be negative, and im not saying hes weak or anything, but he would have probably been slaughtered by ipswich's physicality and would probably be out for longer

Or he would have used his quality to help us keep the ball better 2nd half.

Hughes was the best player in the league by a mile when we first went on the winning run after Steve took over. To expect him to maintain that level at 18, coupled with a slight change in style of play, is unrealistic.

Maybe we could live without him in this division - but not in the Prem. His ball retention in the prem would be priceless.

Will Hughes is a smashing footballer but better team player than bryso ? Ur having a laugh he's English he has potential and everyone talks about him , but I've watched derby since craig came down and he would be missed far more than will Hughes would be

Archived