Could we live without Hughes

jimbobram

After saturday's performance, I think it showed that we are more than capable of playing brilliant football without relying on a Will. 

I was asking myself if it came to it, and we did end up selling Hughes, would it affect us dramatically. Personally, i think that Bryson and Hendrick can do a great job for us in those positions. We all know about Bryson, and Jeff is much more of an attacking threat than defensively. The key area that would need strengthening is CDM as this position allows Jeff and Bryson to go play their strongest game. 

Would you guys want a like for like replacement for Will, or would you be happy with Jeff and Bryson in that position and strengthen the defensive midfield position?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Personally, if Will went and we got a decent fee I'd be OK wuth that - would like to see the funds split out a bit but for sure a quality DCM would be on the shopping list as I think this will be Eustaces last season.

RB bothers me most if we can't get Wisdom back for another season...

Don't forget that we played a very poor team on Saturday. Our possession stas were also well down. I would always have Hughes in.

Forest were poor, but its not like Jeff is a liability though, when on form he is a very good player.I dont understand how the possession stats were down though, i don't know if i only remember the best bits but from where i was sat i cant really remember forest having the ball apart from between our first goal and 2nd. 

Don't forget that we played a very poor team on Saturday. Our possession stas were also well down. I would always have Hughes in.

I appreciate what you saying but stats dont win games goals do, we have totally dominated team after team this season and not got the 3 goals due to not scoring.

Hughes is an amazing player but at the end of the day he is only worth the money people say because he is young and english, if he were a bit older and from timbuktu he would be worth no where near the team changing figures!!

Forest were poor, but its not like Jeff is a liability though, when on form he is a very good player.I dont understand how the possession stats were down though, i don't know if i only remember the best bits but from where i was sat i cant really remember forest having the ball apart from between our first goal and 2nd. 

First half they had loads of the ball, just they did absolutely nothing with it, hence why you don't remember it. That's why I take no notice of possession stats whatsoever. 

We had less of the ball but were more direct and more clinical, and we scored 5. I'm happy for them to have 99 per cent of it if we win.

TobyWanKenobi

It's hard to retain possession if the other team have to keep picking it out of their goal.

First half they had loads of the ball, just they did absolutely nothing with it, hence why you don't remember it. That's why I take no notice of possession stats whatsoever. 

We had less of the ball but were more direct and more clinical, and we scored 5. I'm happy for them to have 99 per cent of it if we win.

I like us to have plenty of possession, I like to be entertained by our passing ability. I don't agree that we were particularly direct apart for Hendrick's goal from a corner clearance (and a bad defensive mistake). I am not interested in just seeing a ball fly into a net - if I was I would watch basketball.

I'm with bcn on this.

Sure, it's all about results. But the best way to ensure results and make sure they keep coming is by being able to control the tempo and direction of the game.

Despite them having 60% of the ball I thought we controlled the entire game. Their possession was mostly in harmless areas. As soon as they crossed the halfway line we met them and sent them packing. With our 40% we went from box to box in seconds with fast passing.

It was very clear from the start that Forest were going to take an age to get forward. No point stopping them passing among the defence just to bring their possession stat down.

It's easier to control the game with the ball though. Forest were harmless. Do you expect other sides to be so clueless? They have mentioned they were set up to stop us, not best us. It showed.

I just want Derby to be in control. To do that we're better off with the ball. Hughes is the best at that. Setting the pace, easing pressure, finding the right pass instead of the nearest.

We allowed Forest 60%. We wouldn't want to allow an in form Wigan 60% or Reading. They'd use that possession how we have so often used it.

Having the ball is having the initiative. Results can be earned from sticking Zigic up front and hoofing it. But long term results and a quality team comes from controlling the game. We pick the pace. We pick the pattern. We get in good habits and the opposition are forced to concentrate on their defensive duties.

Passing it among the defence isn't really much good unless you are trying to gain a foothold or you're defending a lead. Forest were clueless. Does anyone have any idea how they hoped to score?

We worked the ball well. Defended great.But there will be tougher games. For those we'll be asked more questions without the ball and keeping the ball will be the way to starve the opposition.

I like us to have plenty of possession, I like to be entertained by our passing ability. I don't agree that we were particularly direct apart for Hendrick's goal from a corner clearance (and a bad defensive mistake). I am not interested in just seeing a ball fly into a net - if I was I would watch basketball.

But there's no point in having loads of possession if you're just going to pass it around the back, knock it about a bit then lose it. You have to have direction.

All our goals were as a result of being direct in possession: the first started by ward running at the back line, the second quick and incisive interplay between Bamford, Martin and Bryson, the third you mentioned, the fourth russell running directly at their defence and the fifth a ball over the top from Thorne.

Being direct doesn't mean hoofing it, it requires intelligence and skill, and it is something that McClaren had brought to the side.

Why you wouldn't want to see the ball flying into the opposition's net is beyond me.

Hughes is vital to us.

Both he and dcfc should commit to another 2 years together.

P.s. Had Hendrick missed he would have been absolutely slaughtered.

Recently, I've thought Hughes keeps the midfield ticking with his ability to be available for a pass. But he's not recently provided the killer pass to a forward who goes on to score for a long time. The one to Sammon at Watford stands out in my mind.

Archived