Sol Campbell makes England captaincy race allegation

SSD

Sol Campbell has claimed he would have been "England captain for more than 10 years" if he had been born white.

The former England defender makes the claims in an authorised biography serialised by the Sunday Times.

"I believe if I was white, I would have been England captain for more than 10 years - it's as simple as that," said the 39-year-old, who won 73 full caps, including three as captain.

The Football Association is aware of the claims but declined to comment.

Campbell, who made 646 senior appearances for Tottenham, Arsenal, Portsmouth, Notts County and Newcastle United before retiring in 2012, claimed: "I think the FA wished I was white. I had the credibility, performance-wise to be captain.

"I was consistently in the heart of the defence and I was a club captain early in my career."

He added: "I don't think it will change because they don't want it to and probably the majority of fans don't want it either.

"It's alright to have black captains and mixed race in the Under-18s and Under-21s but not for the full national side - there is a ceiling and although no one has ever said it, I believe it's made of glass."

Campbell's three games as England captain were in three friendlies - against Belgium and the Czech Republic in 1998 under Glenn Hoddle's management, and against the United States in 2005 under Sven-Goran Eriksson.

Has he got a fair point or is he playing the race card again?

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not racist but its ***** like this that makes me say things that wouldn't go down well.

What is wrong with black people that can't stop talking about race?

They've listened to too much Kanye. It's 2014 lads.

It's probably harder to be Asian!!

They even serve black folks in bars now Sol!!!

During his England career the 3 captains were Tony Adams, Alan Shearer and David Beckham. The first two were obvious captains not based on skin colour. Beckham was a celebrity and given the armband. Can't even see where skin colour would come into it, clearly thinks too much of himself and needs to top up his bank account.

England has come on leaps and bounds in football in terms of racism. Look back to the 80/90s when chucking bananas and other racist words were used commonly in football.

Look where we are now. England is streets ahead of all other countries. Go and be a black player in the eastern block countries, Spain, Italy etc.

Not denying there's still pockets of racism about. But players like him, Jason Roberts etc always believe make a mockery of how we challenge racism. It's improved dramatically over the last twenty/thirty years. Still some way to go but sol and others need to get round the table instead of trying to sell his book.

PistoldPete2

Sol Campbell has claimed he would have been "England captain for more than 10 years" if he had been born white.

The former England defender makes the claims in an authorised biography serialised by the Sunday Times.

"I believe if I was white, I would have been England captain for more than 10 years - it's as simple as that," said the 39-year-old, who won 73 full caps, including three as captain.

The Football Association is aware of the claims but declined to comment.

Campbell, who made 646 senior appearances for Tottenham, Arsenal, Portsmouth, Notts County and Newcastle United before retiring in 2012, claimed: "I think the FA wished I was white. I had the credibility, performance-wise to be captain.

"I was consistently in the heart of the defence and I was a club captain early in my career."

He added: "I don't think it will change because they don't want it to and probably the majority of fans don't want it either.

"It's alright to have black captains and mixed race in the Under-18s and Under-21s but not for the full national side - there is a ceiling and although no one has ever said it, I believe it's made of glass."

Campbell's three games as England captain were in three friendlies - against Belgium and the Czech Republic in 1998 under Glenn Hoddle's management, and against the United States in 2005 under Sven-Goran Eriksson.

Has he got a fair point or is he playing the race card again?

Hes got a book to sell so he wants to make sensationalist allegations. He wasnt made England captain cos hes a mardy cnut.

Mind you, they did appoint John Terry.

"I don't think it will change because they don't want it to and probably the majority of fans don't want it either.

Crossed a line there, I think. The vast majority couldn't give a toss.

Still, at least he's the first person I've seen complaining about race issues who has bothered to differentiate between mixed race and black!

I just find it odd how it's perfectly acceptable to lump 'black and mixed race' together, as if they're the same. Obviously mixed race isn't just one black parent, one white, though I'd dare say in England that's probably more often the case than not.

That said, it does seem that people of a black/white parental mix end up associating themselves with their black heritage far more than their white.

Campbell made a career out of good recovery tackles after failing to read the game and getting himself into poor defensive positions - lucky to have got 20 caps in my opinion.....and to state that he should have been made captain ahead of Adams, Shearer of Beckham is quite farcical.

And what is the next black England captain going to think? - 'great, I got the capataincy because I was the best man for the job' or 'thanks Sol, I got the capataincy because of the colour of my skin...' - a pahethtic, selfish, and stupid comment from a has-been trying to sell more copies of his book....

Personally I think Sulzeer Jeremiah Campbell was one of the best centre halfs of his generation, when he was at his peak he was brilliant at club and country level.

We probably shouldn't forget that. We shouldn't forget either though, that he became pretty much a figure of fun later on in his career. Watching him totally lose the plot first at Arsenal and then Pompey and Notts. I really thought he was on the verge then of a mental breakdwon.

Now I have absolutely zero respect for what he's become, he's nothing shoirt of a scare mongering racist and these latest comments highlight reverse racism at it's best.

In my opinion constantly forcing and finding racist issues when racist issues don't exist makes him the worse kind of racist possible.

Let it go Sol, no-one will touch you with a barge pole and if they do all they're doing is opening themselve up to the chips on both of your shoulders.

Personally I think Sulzeer Jeremiah Campbell was one of the best centre halfs of his generation, when he was at his peak he was brilliant at club and country level.

We probably shouldn't forget that. We shouldn't forget either though, that he became pretty much a figure of fun later on in his career. Watching him totally lose the plot first at Arsenal and then Pompey and Notts. I really thought he was on the verge then of a mental breakdwon.

Now I have absolutely zero respect for what he's become, he's nothing shoirt of a scare mongering racist and these latest comments highlight reverse racism at it's best.

In my opinion constantly forcing and finding racist issues when racist issues don't exist makes him the worse kind of racist possible.

Let it go Sol, no-one will touch you with a barge pole and if they do all they're doing is opening themselve up to the chips on both of your shoulders.

bang on

Archived