March 2014 Games

ramexpat

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The problem is that you knew the ref would even it up given the chance, shame it is always the ref that seems to take centre stage in these games

I'm a massive Barca fan - but that was a penalty no doubt, but then again so was Messi's in the first half...

After the game they made out Man City deserved something... Why? Barcelona were the better team and created by far the better chances. Messi really could have had a hattrick, and Xavi, Neymar and Fabregas all had very good sightings at goal - not to mention Barcelona's onside goal.

City on the other hand had a good opportunity from Nasri in the first half and that Dzeko header - other than that they rarely threatened other than set pieces.

Barcelona may not have the best defence in the world, but it's harshly criticised at times - they just lack height. Their positioning, tackling, strength etc.. isn't that bad at all - afterall they've conceded less than Real Madrid this season.

Also just to mention, the last eight look abit tasty don't they.

Bayern

Barcelona

Atletico Madrid

PSG

Dortmund

Chelsea

Real Madrid

Manchester United/Olympiakos - this is definitely the weakest tie.

Who would everyone want.. This would be amazing IMO.

Atletico Madrid vs Chelsea 

Dortmund vs Barcelona

Bayern Munich vs Man Utd (if they make it)

Real Madrid vs PSG

or maybe...

PSG vs Chelsea

Bayern Munich vs Real Madrid

Barcelona vs Man Utd

Dortmund vs Atletico Madrid

I can't decide... Probably the best set of quarter final teams in a long, long time

Don't want United/Olympiakos to get Dortmund or PSG. Don't want the weakest teams getting the easiest ride. At the same time I don't want to see Chelsea bore Bayern/Barca/Real to death and sneak a 1-0 win in the 90th min of the 2nd leg.

PSG v Chelsea (Chelsea might come out to play)

United/Olympiakos v Bayern (bye bye ***** team)

Dortmund v Real Madrid (love Dortmund. But if they can't keep pace with Bayern then they need to step aside for a team that can)

Atl Madrid v Barcelona (default fixture)

Seen Jorge Jesus let Sherwood know the score?

The media vendetta against AVB isn't going to end well for Spurs imo.

AVB has a near on 60% win ratio for his career and lost just 16 games in 80 for Tottenham according to Wikipedia.

He should have married into the Redknapp family after getting sacked by Chelsea. He'd be at Spurs and Spurs would be going places. I don't think Sherwood will take them far. Unless when I watch them they're just 'meh' and have played well the rest of the time?

Spurs are terrible and boring to watch nowadays..

I'm currently watching Bayern 2-0 Leverkusen.

It has been a cruise, and Bayern aren't even playing that well.

When they win, they'll be 23 points clear with just 27 points remaining. 2 more wins after this and it's over. Incredible really for the league to be wrapped up with 7 games remaining, and in March.

Pep Guardiola was a genius to move there. He can just be stress-free and win the league every year at a canter.

Plus, with Goetze, Kroos, Muller, Thiago, Javi Martinez, David Alaba, Shaqiri, Boateng, Lewandowski - he has all of these players who are 25 or under... 

Villa 1-0 Chelsea FT

Chelsea lost their heads at the end.

Bad tackle by Ramires, nailed on red card. Not really sure why Mourinho was sent off, just looked a typical case of a ref thinking they are answerable to nobody. The first red card was a joke, another top flight ref who is just not in touch with the game.

Ramires could easily have broken the Villa player's leg - horrible stamp. The other dismissal - Willian - was harsh to say the least.

Fantastic goal to win the game by Delph.

Spurs are terrible and boring to watch nowadays..

I'm currently watching Bayern 2-0 Leverkusen.

It has been a cruise, and Bayern aren't even playing that well.

When they win, they'll be 23 points clear with just 27 points remaining. 2 more wins after this and it's over. Incredible really for the league to be wrapped up with 7 games remaining, and in March.

Pep Guardiola was a genius to move there. He can just be stress-free and win the league every year at a canter.

Plus, with Goetze, Kroos, Muller, Thiago, Javi Martinez, David Alaba, Shaqiri, Boateng, Lewandowski - he has all of these players who are 25 or under... 

Have to compliment Bayern, not only for the way they walk their league, but how they don't let the lack of domestic competition detract from their performance in Europe. Ordinarily, you'd think that a side who wins their league at a canter and faces little competition in doing so might struggle if and when they come up against serious opposition in Europe. Instead, Bayern just blow them away. Bayern over the last 2 or 3 years have been a delight to watch. 

D'ya not think that if your domestic season is easier than say, the premiership, which is a tough physical fast paced game, they'd be fitter and well rested?

You could guarantee that Real Madrid, Barcelona, Bayern Munich and Dortmund would find an English season tough. They'd still finish at the top, but they wouldn't be guaranteed the title. The Champions League trophy would be harder to achieve as a result.

Bris calls Pep a genius, I call him a pussy. He's gone from what is probably a harder league to a league that offers little competition whatsoever.

Prove himself in a competitive league, why not? He's obviously got a footballing theory that works, would it work in a 38 game EPL season?

Have to compliment Bayern, not only for the way they walk their league, but how they don't let the lack of domestic competition detract from their performance in Europe. Ordinarily, you'd think that a side who wins their league at a canter and faces little competition in doing so might struggle if and when they come up against serious opposition in Europe. Instead, Bayern just blow them away. Bayern over the last 2 or 3 years have been a delight to watch. 

I'd agree if you were talking about Celtic and Olympiakos, who go from battering everyone in the league to being 'underdogs' in Europe, it must be so tough to cope with the change in mentality.

But Bayern go into every game as favourites, and I genuinely believe that their confidence going into the CL games is sky high which gives them an added bonus.

It's all set up for them. They only play 34 league matches, they only have one domestic cup. They have a big, healthy squad which they can rotate as they please. I mean, today they didn't even start with Lahm, Martinez, Ribery, Thiago, Dante, Alaba, Shaqiri, Rafinha and they were up against supposedly one of the best teams.

You look in La Liga and Real Madrid and Barcelona face a much tougher schedule, playing home and away legs in the cup, plus a 38-game season and frankly the likes of Valencia, Sevilla, Atletico Madrid, Real Sociedad, Athletic Bilbao etc. are much tougher than Schalke and Leverkusen IMO.

I think Bayern are the best team in Europe alongside Real Madrid but I just think Bayern are majorly advantaged when it comes to preperation and rest.

Though this is only my opinion, maybe you're right Staffs and perhaps they struggle to motivate their players for the big games. 

But I'd put Bayern favourites to win the CL now that they've practically won the league

D'ya not think that if your domestic season is easier than say, the premiership, which is a tough physical fast paced game, they'd be fitter and well rested?

You could guarantee that Real Madrid, Barcelona, Bayern Munich and Dortmund would find an English season tough. They'd still finish at the top, but they wouldn't be guaranteed the title. The Champions League trophy would be harder to achieve as a result.

Bris calls Pep a genius, I call him a pussy. He's gone from what is probably a harder league to a league that offers little competition whatsoever.

Prove himself in a competitive league, why not? He's obviously got a footballing theory that works, would it work in a 38 game EPL season?

Problem would be the pitches and getting the right players in to adopt that style...

I think that style would struggle in the PL, but that's not to say the PL has the best quality becasue Bayern and Barcelona would walk over everyone (other than perhaps a dogged Chelsea) over a two-legged tie.

The German pitches/stadiums are all lush too, perfectly set-up for Bayern. In Spain, some of the smaller teams' pitches are terrible, making it harder for Barca to get their passing game going.

Perhaps he is a pussy, but it is his choice, and I have no doubt that he will go on to emulate what Fergie did in England in Germany, but he will win more European Cups.

He has all the tools to make Bayern the most successful football team ever in the history of the game and his name will be remembered through the ages as the boss who did it all.

As good as Mourinho is, winning multiple titles, Pep Guardiola will have the better reputation if he sticks with Bayern.

Liverpool have been great to watch recently...

A far cry from their terrible performances under Dogleash.

Alex Ferguson must be loving it. David Moyes is terrible, and his record at United makes Fergie look all the more better.

If Mourinho had gone to Man Utd, they'd be top four easy.

Problem would be the pitches and getting the right players in to adopt that style...

I think that style would struggle in the PL, but that's not to say the PL has the best quality becasue Bayern and Barcelona would walk over everyone (other than perhaps a dogged Chelsea) over a two-legged tie.

The German pitches/stadiums are all lush too, perfectly set-up for Bayern. In Spain, some of the smaller teams' pitches are terrible, making it harder for Barca to get their passing game going.

Perhaps he is a pussy, but it is his choice, and I have no doubt that he will go on to emulate what Fergie did in England in Germany, but he will win more European Cups.

He has all the tools to make Bayern the most successful football team ever in the history of the game and his name will be remembered through the ages as the boss who did it all.

As good as Mourinho is, winning multiple titles, Pep Guardiola will have the better reputation if he sticks with Bayern.

Well, I don't know why he'd stop at Bayern if he wouldn't stop at Barcelona. So we may see him in the premier league yet.

Lots of managers have come unstuck in the Premier League hat do well in Spain, Italy or wherever else.

Well, I don't know why he'd stop at Bayern if he wouldn't stop at Barcelona. So we may see him in the premier league yet.

Lots of managers have come unstuck in the Premier League hat do well in Spain, Italy or wherever else.

The pressure at Barca and Real Madrid is like no other in world football...

I genuinely felt that he didn't particularly enjoy his job at Barca in the last season. He felt guilty and took it too much to heart - being a Barca man and all - when things weren't all going his way.

I guess it's understandable. You wouldn't want to be a Derby manager when things are going terrible and it effects your friends/family/colleagues etc.

At Bayern it's much less stress-free, and he has no rival for the title.

Anyone watch the FLS last night?

I don't think it's match coverage is biased but Claridge and Manish clearly have more to say about the goings on at Leicester and Millwall more than anywhere else.

Anyway, I wondered if anyone heard Houdini?

"We lost 18 players at the start of the year and we're third now"

Wrong

Are you going to double the wage bill again?

How come these pundits never pull him up on his bullsh1t?

Honestly, AVB should have just married into that family

Archived