Burnley away

rammieib

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wonder how many we'll be taking to this one. My guess is 2619.

Hi again guys. What are your thoughts if the following is 'only' 2,500 ish?

I personally would have expected you to sell out this fixture if I'm honest - 3,600. Okay, although not the most glamorous ground you'll ever visit (it's a proper old ground with wooden seats in the away end - which you won't sit on anyway!) but you're a big club in this division, with healthy home crowds and it is such a big game.

A lot of bigger clubs than Burnley have a pop at us regularly when we take 1,500+ away, but we're a small town of 75,000 people, and only get 12,500 average at home. Perhaps there'll be lots of 'walk ons' today? Where are all of those fans who went to Barnsley? It's not a dig purely at Derby as other bigger clubs are the same. Yes you have Forest soon, but people have just been paid too. 2,500 ish would seem strange I feel with it not being on TV with a ridiculous kick off time.

Would you guys be disappointed with 2,500 ish?

Anyway, I really hope that you travellers all have an enjoyable and safe trip up, and safe but slightly less enjoyable trip back. ;-)

***See my post on page 2 of this thread for pubs to visit and pubs to avoid***

Think am gonna drive up now, is their away parking other than at the ground?

There plenty of street parking near to the ground, but it's slow moving afterwards for 30 minutes. My advice is to park on the main road which runs past the entrance to the Cricket Ground - Belvedere Road (see my picture on page 2 showing pubs). Park further up the road near to the Queen Victoria brewers Fayre, past the fire station. Don't be tempted to go back to junction 10 of the M65 to get back onto the motorway. Instead drive towards the neighbouring town of Brierfield which is about 3 miles east(not nice to look at) and get back on at junction 12 at the B&Q (there is no J11 going west). You'll save a lot of time rather than being stuck in traffic near the ground.

I personally would have expected you to sell out this fixture if I'm honest - 3,600. Okay, although not the most glamorous ground you'll ever visit (it's a proper old ground with wooden seats in the away end - which you won't sit on anyway!) but you're a big club in this division, with healthy home crowds and it is such a big game.

A lot of bigger clubs than Burnley have a pop at us regularly when we take 1,500+ away, but we're a small town of 75,000 people, and only get 12,500 average at home. Perhaps there'll be lots of 'walk ons' today? Where are all of those fans who went to Barnsley? It's not a dig purely at Derby as other bigger clubs are the same. Yes you have Forest soon, but people have just been paid too. 2,500 ish would seem strange I feel with it not being on TV with a ridiculous kick off time.

Anyway, I really hope that you travellers all have an enjoyable and safe trip up, and safe but slightly less enjoyable trip back. ;-)

Most away games I've been too since McClaren took over have had a large amount of fans paying on the day of the match. Sheff Weds in particular and Wigan last year.

I think we could touch the 3k mark which, for saying most are travelling up from Derby is quite good. 

Some might've even paid over the odds for a Forest ticket as well, making sure they can get one. 

There plenty of street parking near to the ground, but it's slow moving afterwards for 30 minutes. My advice is to park on the main road which runs past the entrance to the Cricket Ground - Belvedere Road (see my picture on page 2 showing pubs). Park further up the road near to the Queen Victoria brewers Fayre, past the fire station. Don't be tempted to go back to junction 10 of the M65 to get back onto the motorway. Instead drive towards the neighbouring town of Brierfield which is about 3 miles east(not nice to look at) and get back on at junction 12 at the B&Q (there is no J11 going west). You'll save a lot of time rather than being stuck in traffic near the ground.

Very much appreciated pal. Well me and 3 others will be walk ins, expect it to be closer to 3000 and very very loud. If we can see out the first 20 mins nil nil I expect it to be a tight affair

Our away following has been rather poor over the last few seasons, we have only really started to take more to away games since Steve McClaren took over. We will have 300-400 pay on the gate so will be close to 3000, which is a vast improvement. The reason we took so many to Barnsley is that the tickets were very cheap (£15 I think) and it is only an hour away.

£28 to be in a wooden stand in the biggest shithole I've ever been to. How it's still legal to have wooden seats in this day and age I have no idea.

Would love to go but work is calling today. Good luck to all going. Sing your hearts out. See what we can do. Although, I think we will come a cropper as we usually do against Burnley.

PistoldPete2

Bit tricky to get to , and expensive tickets.

2500 to 3000 aint bad is it for away support?  Hopefully they will make a lot of noise.

PistoldPete2

Also I think the fact we have high home gates is actually a reason we dont have large away support: fans have spent all their money on season tickets.

£28 to be in a wooden stand in the biggest shithole I've ever been to. How it's still legal to have wooden seats in this day and age I have no idea. Would love to go but work is calling today. Good luck to all going. Sing your hearts out. See what we can do. Although, I think we will come a cropper as we usually do against Burnley.

I think you're being rather harsh to be honest. Burnley is an old mill town, so you'll see more terraced houses than towns in the midlands or down south. It was the cotton capital of the world and also the richest town in England some 100+ years ago. Times changes and so do fortunes. It's no different than any other northern town, inc Derby and others in the midlands. We have nice bits and we have poor bits. It just happened that, unfortunately, you have to drive via the poor bits to get to and from the ground. I have a good management job but there are lots of areas that I could never afford to live. I'd imagine that's the same in Derby? In fact I know it is because I have family there and also work there from time to time.

Regarding the stand, if you've actually ever been (?) you'll see that the only thing wooden is the thing you park your arse on. The rest is concrete. As I've said, none of you will be sitting down so that is irrelevant.

£28 isn't cheap, and our fans agree. It is also miles away from being the most expensive though. If you're going to miss a big game, which will likely cost £70 for the day, because of £3-4 then cost isn't the main reason and is just an excuse.

Bit tricky to get to , and expensive tickets.

2500 to 3000 aint bad is it for away support?  Hopefully they will make a lot of noise.

I agree, it isn't as easy to get to as say Wigan from a distance point of view, but it's all motorway. Straight up the M6 and across the M65. It's 15-20 minutes down the M65, and only 40 minutes from Wigan.

You're guaranteed to make a lot of noise. With it being a totally enclosed stand it holds the noise very well, having great acoustics. Burnley fans, despite it being an older stand, have wanted it back for home fans for years. You need 500 fans in there to sound like 3,000.

I think you're being rather harsh to be honest. Burnley is an old mill town, so you'll see more terraced houses than towns in the midlands or down south. It was the cotton capital of the world and also the richest town in England some 100+ years ago. Times changes and so do fortunes. It's no different than any other northern town, inc Derby and others in the midlands. We have nice bits and we have poor bits. It just happened that, unfortunately, you have to drive via the poor bits to get to and from the ground. I have a good management job but there are lots of areas that I could never afford to live. I'd imagine that's the same in Derby? In fact I know it is because I have family there and also work there from time to time.

Regarding the stand, if you've actually ever been (?) you'll see that the only thing wooden is the thing you park your arse on. The rest is concrete. As I've said, none of you will be sitting down so that is irrelevant.

£28 isn't cheap, and our fans agree. It is also miles away from being the most expensive though. If you're going to miss a big game, which will likely cost £70 for the day, because of £3-4 then cost isn't the main reason and is just an excuse.

Yes I have been... to that dour nil-nil draw just before Christmas a few years back. Horrible day all round.

I actuall work with a girl from Burnley who's fella is a huge fan and goes to most their games. She confirms it's *****.

Archived