A degree in common sense

Alph

I can't imagine it much worse. You know how the zombie apocalypse is the craze in cinema and gaming etc right now?

I think it's already happened.

We're all shepherded into nice little pens where we don't think for ourselves.

Must follow the rules. Must do the 'right and proper' thing.

Maybe someone more intelligent could word it for me better. 

Basically, we're fukt (not that I'm saying I'm more intelligent - just more concise).

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I worked as a 'community carer' recently - had to go on loads of training, mainly lifting and handling, infection control and first aid. Just basically ar5e covering by the company but interesting all the same, keeping you and your 'clients' safe. 

There has been some cases where a person that has been given CPR, have tried to sue the person giving it for breaking ribs etc but I don't think you get very far - that's a precedent that shouldn't be set I don't think.

I once found an elderly gentleman on the floor,he'd basically slipped off his chair.  I had to leave him there and phone the ambulance.  He just kept saying, 'can you just help me up duck' - well no, I can't.   :(   Thinking about it afterwards and watching how the paramedics dealt with him, (they used like an inflatable bed to lift him up) if I'd have just helped him sit up, he could have had a back injury and I'd have made it worse.  I'm no paramedic, I can't assess his injuries - there could have been a reason he fell, could have blacked out.  Your first reaction though, is to just give him a hand.

With Alphas one legged man - if there's more than one of you - and you are just really helping him up, rather than lifting, I can't see a problem.

I think it's just like anything, it's got to have a balance and a bit of common sense.

That's an interesting example. My mum had a fall a couple of years ago. My Dad is getting on a bit and struggles to pick her up now, she's built like a tree trunk. Luckily, I had just left and was just down the bottom of the road, so I was able to come back and help him get her up and into bed. If I hadn't have been there, he'd have had to call an ambulance, just to get her on her feet, which would have been terribly embarrassing for everyone. What I hero I am!!

But, here's the kicker, 2 days later she noticed a massive bruise on her back, and lost consciousness. Dad called an ambulance. She had been bleeding internally since the fall. She went into intensive care and most of her internal organs shut down. They had to induce a coma and put her on life support for about a week.

She was touch and go but eventually recovered.

If I hadn't have been there, if Dad had had to call the ambulance, then they would have noticed the problem and took her straight to hospital, where it wouldn't have got half as serious.

I totally agree with all the anti-nanny state sentiments on this thread, but there is food for thought there I think.

That's an interesting example. My mum had a fall a couple of years ago. My Dad is getting on a bit and struggles to pick her up now, she's built like a tree trunk. Luckily, I had just left and was just down the bottom of the road, so I was able to come back and help him get her up and into bed. If I hadn't have been there, he'd have had to call an ambulance, just to get her on her feet, which would have been terribly embarrassing for everyone. What I hero I am!!

But, here's the kicker, 2 days later she noticed a massive bruise on her back, and lost consciousness. Dad called an ambulance. She had been bleeding internally since the fall. She went into intensive care and most of her internal organs shut down. They had to induce a coma and put her on life support for about a week.

She was touch and go but eventually recovered.

If I hadn't have been there, if Dad had had to call the ambulance, then they would have noticed the problem and took her straight to hospital, where it wouldn't have got half as serious.

I totally agree with all the anti-nanny state sentiments on this thread, but there is food for thought there I think.

A very good point , Ted , glad she's ok ..

A very good point , Ted , glad she's ok ..

Turned out to be the best thing that happened to her (besides me being born, and about a million other things). She was on all the wrong meds, needed help with her diet and wasn't getting any support at all. So as soon as she was in hospital everyone started taking her condition a bit more seriously, and now she's getting all the right meds, a lot more help around the house. She's a lot happier. Still not well, but better.

So, the point is I was right to pick her, because it was ultimately a good thing she ended up nearly dead. We're back onto that philosophical causality debate again.

The moral is, pick people up if they've fallen down. More often than not, it's the right thing to do. Even on the rare occasions that it's the wrong thing to do.

Alpha mate, I bloody love your rants. I think you are spot on with your view on society being zombies. I had typed up a rant but it was inferior to all these words before.

Rant away mate!

Tbh I thought I'd get a few folks telling me to do one.

Thing is, if you're not one of these ****** and I'm not one of these ****** and we can see from the thread that there's not many ****** posting on here... where are all the ****** right now? Because they've got us all being sheep so they must be out there.

if Dad had had to call the ambulance, then they would have noticed the problem and took her straight to hospital....

......Where she'd have waited for hours to be seen by anyone.

Quality thread overall.

Some really nicely put points.

Bloody hell, how do the football debates get so disgustingly stupid when it's clear there are some fairly intelligent thoughtful people posting on here..

Glad you posted mate because you have a lovely story that shows how wonderful society is. How we are all such good little law abiding, God fearing people.

I feel my rant is slightly off the path but it still irks me beyond belief. But why oh why in all that is beautiful in this world are we so focused on capturing moments to re-live at a later date, to flood our crappy media walls with endless pictures of us telling the world we are having fun. Look at these wonderful videos I took of a gig... The problem with that is being so focused on what you want to show, what you want to maybe watch at a later date. How the fook can you enjoy a gig if your focus is on keeping the damn phone in focus. It's like people are too busy trying to appease the wider world than enjoy their own moments, enjoy their own mind. It is all ********. I love the fact I am old fashioned in many ways, I love that I have no desire to keep up with the trends and what not.

I just hate that individual flair, our uniqueness is dying as we are all being cast into the same mould. You could say we are allowed to be as unique as ever but we undermine that.

Argggh, I am just grumpy. Grumpy that they made better music in the past, when they had to have a message and or talent to get anywhere, when things had soul and weren't so disposable. Now it is all me and what can I get out of it.

Quality thread overall.

Some really nicely put points.

Bloody hell, how do the football debates get so disgustingly stupid when it's clear there are some fairly intelligent thoughtful people posting on here..

The ones that tend to drag things down are a little conspicuous by their absence on this thread though!

So the missus works at Severn Trent and this morning a good old boy was on his way through the entrance when he fell over. The chap has like one leg I think and isn't getting any younger.

So a few of the nearest girls pick him up and settle him down with a drink as the poor bugger is a bit embarrassed.

Now here's the fookin punchline. Apparently the girls should have left him to find someone with experience in manual lifting!! Left an embarrassed man lying in the entrance to go find someone who has experience in picking things up!! The management are not impressed.

How stupid are people in this country? Honestly who hasn't got a proper job to do and sits there coming up with this ****? Anyone reading this who actually has free time on their hands to talk such utter ****** (assuming you're not trapped in Sainsburys by your shopping bags) then I'd just like to let you know that you are entirely stupid in the head. A proper tw@t. An A list moron.

Am I alone in finding this sort of thing infuriating?

What happened to common sense? Why don't they teach it in schools? Because barely anyone has it.

There's loads of stuff like this.

Another is pubs refusing to warm babies food up incase the child is burned. Are you kidding? If you're that fookin dumb to stuff a spoon of unchecked food into your kids mouth then you want the kid taken off you because a bath is going to be fatal. Just warm the food up!

You can't do that sir, you can't do this sir. Do you have experience in manual lifting?

WTF? C'mon, is it just me?

Too many people sat around desks with nothing to do but come up with this sort of ******. Then even bigger drongos follow it.

Manual lifting experience. Jesus Christ. Just leave the poor fecker on the floor. Put a sign up so people don't trip over him. Maybe stick a vis jacket and some flashing lights on him.

Honestly, people are stupid. If common sense was an essential qualification then a lot more jobs would be available.

I think you can look at this in two ways.

1. Was it safe to move the chap on the floor? Did they check to make sure he had not broken anything? If the chap had they could have made things worse.

2. Some people are way over the top with H&S and make a mountain out of a mole hill.

I think your missus should think her self lucky that she works for a company that takes health and safety seriously.

I think you can look at this in two ways.

1. Was it safe to move the chap on the floor? Did they check to make sure he had not broken anything? If the chap had they could have made things worse.

2. Some people are way over the top with H&S and make a mountain out of a mole hill.

I think your missus should think her self lucky that she works for a company that takes health and safety seriously.

The guy just wanted picking up.

Pick him up. That's what I say.

Tiger's story is quite scary but it's not common.

The guy just wanted picking up.

Pick him up. That's what I say.

Tiger's story is quite scary but it's not common.

fair enough i know the office dwellers have nothing better to do but working in the water industry i know a lot of jobs can be very dangerous. Working with chlorine in confined spaces, sewage and other hazardous substances. The message sent out is the same for everyone. After all no one goes to work to die.

Lad at the school where I work tried to launch himself over the tennis court net, went arse over tit and dislocated his hip. His hip bone ended up above where his bottom should have been.

Really, it was glaringly obvious to anybody with eyesight that there was something very wrong with his body alignment - except to the office 'first aiders' who wanted him to stand up because they couldn't be bothered phoning an ambulance.

"Oh just walk it off, you'll be fine".

You are joking, right?

Apparantley not.

Stupid people piss me right off.

Lad at the school where I work tried to launch himself over the tennis court net, went arse over tit and dislocated his hip. His hip bone ended up above where his bottom should have been.

Really, it was glaringly obvious to anybody with eyesight that there was something very wrong with his body alignment - except to the office 'first aiders' who wanted him to stand up because they couldn't be bothered phoning an ambulance.

"Oh just walk it off, you'll be fine".

You are joking, right?

Apparantley not.

Stupid people piss me right off.

he was lucky the first aid didn't shout "new balls"

Archived