George Thorne

North_Stand_Ram

I like this quietness. feel something big is going to happen, and its not Darren Moore.

I like the fact that Derby County have maintained a dignified silence since the beginning, even after West Brom's chairman had a whinge of Hugh Jwanka/Ferrie Bodde proportions.

• Replies 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@smadeley_star: Jeremy Peace: 6 more new faces for Albion. #wba http://t.co/9WJdprLGLf

@smadeley_star: Jeremy Peace's figures are for a net increase of 6 players. That would include Lescott, but might also mean some in + some out. #wba

@smadeley_star: Looking at the squad, there are probably too many central midfielders so wouldn't be surprised if one (Maybe Thorne) departed. #wba

"http://datating.files.wordpress.com/2014/01/mr-burns-saying-excellent?w=300&h=217" alt="mr-burns-saying-excellent?w=300&h=21">

I think we have a good chance, as long as a promoted team doesn't enter the bidding.

I honestly don't think we'd let them take him from under our nose, we'd fight tooth and nail to get him here. We know what he can do for us and how important he will be next year. plus deep down i think George is a Ram  ;)

Well, Rodwell is a similar type player - possibly more attacking but still, that would be good news.

Big fan of Thorne and he has massive upside. The only minor (and it is minor) worry I have is that he has suffered a couple of injuries in his young career and also had the odd limp in his loan spell with us. I hope he is up to a full season in this division but at least Eustace is around to fill in when required.

Well, Rodwell is a similar type player - possibly more attacking but still, that would be good news.

Big fan of Thorne and he has massive upside. The only minor (and it is minor) worry I have is that he has suffered a couple of injuries in his young career and also had the odd limp in his loan spell with us. I hope he is up to a full season in this division but at least Eustace is around to fill in when required.

All 3 players are different.

• Rodwell is more of an attacking midfielder. In West Brom's team, most similar to Dorrans, I would say.
  • Thorne is a deep lying playmaker and fits in very well with our system of playing it out from the back.
  • Eustace is a classic defensive midfielder making last ditch tackles and protecting the back four.

Of the 3, I would choose Thorne every time. Eustace fills a gap but his style doesn't offer as much to our system as Thorne does.

Will be watching Yeltsin Tejeda tomorrow to see which category he fits into. Could be one for the future or could be plan B if the Thorne deal looks like a no go.

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/west-bromwich-albion-george-thorne-7298099

Alan Irvine: I want George Thorne to stay

20 June 2014 06:38 AM By Chris Lepkowski

West Bromwich Albion: George Thorne will be given a chance to fight for a Baggies place says Alan Irvine

Photo: Action Images / Paul Harding

George Thorne

Alan Irvine has urged midfielder George Thorne to fight for his West Bromwich Albion place and shelve plans to join Derby County.

The 21-year-old has asked for a move away from The Hawthorns , following Albion’s rejection of a recent undisclosed Derby bid.

Thorne has made it clear he wants to join Steve McClaren’s Championship side, despite only signing an improved three-and-a-half-year Albion deal in January.

The Baggies rejected his transfer request before Irvine was appointed, with the newly-installed head coach hoping the young midfielder will opt to remain at Albion for 2014/15, despite his unhappiness.

“I don’t think we should be in a position where we’re letting players go,” said the Albion boss.

“I would like to see all of the players, see what they can do in pre-season training and make decisions from there.

“I wouldn’t be keen on losing young, good players.

“We haven’t even spoken yet so he’s not had a chance to formulate an opinion about me or vice-versa.

“I would have thought any player would be thinking ‘this might be a chance for me to stake a claim for a regular place’.”

Technical director Terry Burton added: “He’s Albion’s player, he’s under contract, we think he’s a good player and we want the opportunity to see if we can give him first-team football, but that’s up to George to show he’s the best man for the role.”

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/west-bromwich-albion-george-thorne-7298099

Alan Irvine: I want George Thorne to stay

20 June 2014 06:38 AM By Chris Lepkowski

West Bromwich Albion: George Thorne will be given a chance to fight for a Baggies place says Alan Irvine

Photo: Action Images / Paul Harding

George Thorne

Alan Irvine has urged midfielder George Thorne to fight for his West Bromwich Albion place and shelve plans to join Derby County.

The 21-year-old has asked for a move away from The Hawthorns , following Albion’s rejection of a recent undisclosed Derby bid.

Thorne has made it clear he wants to join Steve McClaren’s Championship side, despite only signing an improved three-and-a-half-year Albion deal in January.

The Baggies rejected his transfer request before Irvine was appointed, with the newly-installed head coach hoping the young midfielder will opt to remain at Albion for 2014/15, despite his unhappiness.

“I don’t think we should be in a position where we’re letting players go,” said the Albion boss.

“I would like to see all of the players, see what they can do in pre-season training and make decisions from there.

“I wouldn’t be keen on losing young, good players.

“We haven’t even spoken yet so he’s not had a chance to formulate an opinion about me or vice-versa.

“I would have thought any player would be thinking ‘this might be a chance for me to stake a claim for a regular place’.”

Technical director Terry Burton added: “He’s Albion’s player, he’s under contract, we think he’s a good player and we want the opportunity to see if we can give him first-team football, but that’s up to George to show he’s the best man for the role.”

"https://i0.wp.com/i28.photobucket.com/albums/c228/SparrowSC/download12" alt="download12">

Rodwell's a similar player to Thorne from what I've seen, both can attack well but are defensively capable.

That article's a kick in the face, but also with all these players come in, hopefully the new head coach is someone to reason with. Does anyone ACTUALLY think that Thorne will get into their 1st team next year? It's a sticky situation for the ego of the beloved Jeremy Peace. On one hand if Thorne gets given 1st team football it sets an example of 'if you moan enough, they'll play you' but if he lets him leave it sets the example that 'if you moan enough, you'll be sold'.

Still upbeat on our chances to sign him, WBA would be stupid to sell him to QPR/Leicester as they're their rivals.

Archived