George Thorne

North_Stand_Ram

He hasn't helped himself with his comments. He's made it quite clear that he doesn't want to be at WBA but surely he seen after the Odemwingie situation that our chairman doesn't take these kind of things well.

He could have gone about it differently instead of trash talking the club which had nurtured him and paid for his medical bills after a career threatening injury.

Maybe he enquired discreetly about a move and was told no chance we need you as back up. I agree it seems poor form how he's gone about it, but their must be a reason for it.

• Replies 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Our chairman does have his faults but he is a lifelong Albion fan and always has our best interests at heart.

If a suitable offer comes in of course he will sell, all players have a price. But one things for certain he'll be sold on our terms.

If I were Derby fan and GT does move, I wouldn't be too pleased with the way he's acted.

Who's to say he won't do exactly the same to you if you don't get promoted.

He hasn't helped himself with his comments. He's made it quite clear that he doesn't want to be at WBA but surely he seen after the Odemwingie situation that our chairman doesn't take these kind of things well. 

He could have gone about it differently instead of trash talking the club which had nurtured him and paid for his medical bills after a career threatening injury.

I reckon the story in the Mirror was engineered, along with the low Derby bid and the transfer request and whatever the next step will be. I reckon it's all been planned out like a chess game designed to put pressure on WBA to sell. Any neutral looking on at this would see a young lad, doing whatever it takes to get himself more playing time and a big bad Prem club blocking him from doing so. So under this public impression what happens when an improved bid lands next week?

Saying all that I don't feel proud if Derby have done their business in this way, but I doubt all Albion's business transactions have been squeaky clean and above board also so I suppose it squares itself off.

Surprised we ain't got some Leeds scum?

may I amend my post, they're not scum, they're normal football supporters.

I must redress this as I edited a rangers post earlier.

They aren't scum.

You think what you want, I'm admin.

may I amend my post, they're not scum, they're normal football supporters.

I must redress this as I edited a rangers post earlier.

They aren't scum.

You think what you want, I'm admin.

There's no leeds fans coming on here now you've locked the mccormack thread.

I wonder when WBA return for training and what will happen with Thorne if no fee has been agreed at that point. Will he return and play his part or will he kick off?

In terms of a fee I would pay £2m rising to £3m with add ons, think that would probably be a fair deal. 

BBC Sport article saying Sherwood has issued an ultimatum (sort of) to Jeremy Peace demanding better contracts for coaching staff, or he won't take job. Interesting to see how that plays out - will JP's stubbornness lose him potential head coach?

BBC Sport article saying Sherwood has issued an ultimatum (sort of) to Jeremy Peace demanding better contracts for coaching staff, or he won't take job. Interesting to see how that plays out - will JP's stubbornness lose him potential head coach?

Let's hope not? Surely Sherwood's a joke manager...

Were Hughes and Hendrick considered 4th or 5th choice midfield options, out on loan, not getting near to the first team and having new signings coming in ahead of them I think we would accept their request.

Callum Ball openly wanted out due to his lack of opportunity at Derby and we let him move on.

Thorne was never considered a 4th or 5th choice midfield player, he was actually playing for the first team at Everton when he was seriously injured. After the best part of a year he was loaned to Derby to get match fit, but only after his club had given him a shiny new contract. Read the interviews at the time, it was clear that he figured in their plans, and he was highly regarded, but needed to get his sharpness back before being considered for the Premier League. In January West Brom were fighting near the bottom of the league, that's not the time to re-introduce a young player who was struggling to get through 90 minutes or play twice in a few days (even Derby didn't introduce him straightaway). To compare Thorne with Callum Ball is a nonsense, one has a great chance of playing for his club at first team level if he knuckles down, the other had no chance. Derby fans are giving the West Brom Chief Exec plenty of stick for doing exactly what we would want Rush to do in the same circumstances, hold on to the best young players who have cost hundreds of thousands of pounds to develop through the academy. Every time Hughes or Hendrick are linked with a move the barriers go up and we tell Rush not to sell unless the bid is so massive that it would be mad to turn it down, yet we expect WBA to buckle and give us the player. Double standards.If we force the issue this will do our reputation no good at all.

Archived