The demise of Forest

ladyram

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Read a cracking post from the Forest forum, well worth the three-minute read despite its length and block of words... 

I'm not so much concerned about the players as I am about how we play. Early on in SOD's reign we saw very quickly how we were going to play. He had very definite ideas about how he wanted his team to play. He should not have been fired in such short order, but the underlying philosophy was there for all to see.

I personally thought this was definitely the right path, at the time. But Fawaz got an itchy trigger finger, and in comes Alex. And we resorted to a generic hoofball type game, and we sucked big time, and Alex disappeared. Thank goodness for that.

Billy came in, and we sort of righted ourselves, but Billy's inability to see the big picture (his war with the media, appointing his cousin or whatever that asshole was etc) and things gradually unraveled. I'd be hard pressed to see we had a definite philosophy of how to play, other than we played a generic direct English game, and because we had better quality in our roster than much of the division, we did ok, for a while. But again, we didn't really have any sort of philosophy on how to play. 

And I see this as an issue with the current boss as well. It seems to be a throw them out there and let their talent sort it out vibe, and I think it is an inadequate way of managing a team. Pearce managed the England U-21s a certain way, and I think that way of thinking will hold sway while he is here. He's been a manager long enough that his palette is there to see, and, in my humble opinion, we will not get auto promoted this season, and we'll be lucky to hit top 6.

ON winning teams, how the midfield plays is what denotes your successes. You need a good defence behind it (and we have that, much of the time), and someone who can finish, and you can beat shitty teams that way but, ultimately, when you play a quality side, if you cannot control the game via possession (or with razor sharp countering......see Chelsea on sunday) you are not going to win your share of games.

The players we have now ( and I don't really want to bring Cohen or Vaughn into the conversation, as both are looking to be footnotes due to their injury issues) are good enough for us to compete against the rest of the division. I am quite comfortable with that. What concerns me is the fact that out midfield play is scattershot. The ability of the players is enough for us to have some sort of semblance of order.

For me, we lack a cohesion, and a clear sense of what we are trying to do. Our attacks seem random and opportunistic, rather than our team imposing itself on the game. We don't really control matches, and right now we've played many teams that are not very good, teams that lack basic quality or have a daft manager (and understand I think there are a handful of good managers in England right now, with most, obviously, in the Prem).

We are where we are due to the quality in out squad. Not due to how we are playing. Now I understand we have new bodies, and a new manager. But going back to SOD, we quickly played the game a certain way, and I thought that path was one that would, in due time, lead us up because SOD paid attention to the small details and understood that would give us a true team conception. And we had a much lesser squad back then compared to now. Much lesser.

But Fawaz wanted promotion that season, and look where we are now. Still in the Championship, barely ecking out wins over teams lacking in quality. And watching a rival team, Leicester, get promoted by playing a certain way. And they (Leicester) will stay up, their last two games aside Leicester have looked solid, and it is no great mystery how they play.

They get the ball on the deck and play football with some skill and a bit of panache. We hoof and hope. That sausage is completely and utterly nowhere, in my humble opinion. You will beat crap, run of the mill teams that way. Sometimes. But it's a lottery methodology, and any good team will easily have us running around chasing them and the ball, and if they don't make critical errors , will easily beat us.

So, I am very concerned about where out expensive squad is headed. Our wage bill is huge, we've spent a good chunk on new players, and we've optioned our two best young assets to Newcastle. IF we don't get promoted this season, we are going to have some serious issues to deal with next season. First the health of some of our key players. Wilson, Cohen and Vaughn all huge question marks. Reid is getting older. Darlow and Lascelles will not be here. We'll need to spend big again IF we don't gain promotion this year. Quite simply, the pressure is on, big time.

I have to agree with the poster.

That Forest forum post is more or less exactly what I posted in the Forest post-match thread.  Their squad, and in particular their recent signings, just seems random and unbalanced.  They have signed two out and out wingers, but they have no real aerial threat in the box to get on the end of crosses.  They have pace and movement up front, but no one in behind to play through balls for them to run onto.  They have a physical presence up front in Assombalonga to hold the ball up, but no one from midfield to run beyond him.

They are decent at the back (providing they stay fit) and that will get them a fair way in this league, but they are very reliant on Antonio and Assombalonga to win them games out of nothing.  And when they hit a bit of a dry spell (like the last few games), they stopped scoring and stopped winning games.

If you compare that to us, we have a style in place that runs through the entire squad.  We have Martin up front to hold the ball up, but we also have Bryson making runs beyond him.  We have 2 pacy wingers to stretch teams, but we also have Hughes in midfield playing balls through to them.  We don't have much of an aerial threat, so we set out to either drill low crosses, or cut balls back to midfielders making late runs.  Everything meshes properly and everybody knows their jobs.  Plus we have at least 4 or 5 players with a decent goal-threat on the pitch, and another 3 or 4 on the bench in every game - we don't rely on any 1 player to win us games.

That Forest forum post is more or less exactly what I posted in the Forest post-match thread. Their squad, and in particular their recent signings, just seems random and unbalanced. They have signed two out and out wingers, but they have no real aerial threat in the box to get on the end of crosses. They have pace and movement up front, but no one in behind to play through balls for them to run onto. They have a physical presence up front in Assombalonga to hold the ball up, but no one from midfield to run beyond him.

They are decent at the back (providing they stay fit) and that will get them a fair way in this league, but they are very reliant on Antonio and Assombalonga to win them games out of nothing. And when they hit a bit of a dry spell (like the last few games), they stopped scoring and stopped winning games.

If you compare that to us, we have a style in place that runs through the entire squad. We have Martin up front to hold the ball up, but we also have Bryson making runs beyond him. We have 2 pacy wingers to stretch teams, but we also have Hughes in midfield playing balls through to them. We don't have much of an aerial threat, so we set out to either drill low crosses, or cut balls back to midfielders making late runs. Everything meshes properly and everybody knows their jobs. Plus we have at least 4 or 5 players with a decent goal-threat on the pitch, and another 3 or 4 on the bench in every game - we don't rely on any 1 player to win us games.

Well you ve certainly sold me

You must be 10 point clear of us ATM

No?

5 then?

No?

1?

Doh

Well you ve certainly sold me

You must be 10 point clear of us ATM

No?

5 then?

No?

1?

Doh

Like I said, you'll be fine while your forwards are winning you games out of nothing, but you've drawn your last 4(?) games and barely scored a goal, barely had a shot on target even.  If that continues you'll fall away.

Like I said, you'll be fine while your forwards are winning you games out of nothing, but you've drawn your last 4(?) games and barely scored a goal, barely had a shot on target even. If that continues you'll fall away.

And yet still above Derby 'goal threats from all over' County.

Yes but for Derby "austerity" County to be only one point from Nottingump "man city arab squillionaires of the midlands" Forest, is nothing short of amazing....

How we can even be near you when your star player cost 4 times more that our whole squad put together.....blah, blah, blah, etc....

And yet still above Derby 'goal threats from all over' County.

Having spent FOUR times the total cost of our entire first-team squad on ONE player, I should bloody well think so too.

No wonder fridges are so expensive nowadays.

Archived