Richie Wellens

DcFc Dyycheee

Rovers do have competition for Richie Wellens, Paul Dickov has admitted.

But Dickov insists speculation linking the out of contract midfielder with Queens Park Rangers is just a rumour.

Wellens is a free agent after his short-term deal with Doncaster expired on January 1 and he missed Saturday’s FA Cup defeat to Stevenage.

Dickov admits he faces competition for the 33-year-old’s signature - with Leeds United and Derby County thought to be in the queue for his services - although he remains confident he can still do a deal.

“There are other clubs interested that Richie’s told me about,” said Dickov.

“I’ve heard all the rumours about QPR but I’ve not actually heard anything myself.

“Richie’s an honest guy who I get on really well with.

“He’s a top player and he’s out of contract so there’s going to be other clubs interested - but he wants to stay here.

“We’re still trying to get a deal done,” he added.

“I spoke to Richie on Saturday morning. Like always, Richie wants to stay and I want him to stay - we’ll see where that takes us.

“I’ve always been confident about getting a deal done and hopefully we can sort it out.

“In an ideal world you would’ve liked Richie sorted out a little while ago.

“But we all know football is not an ideal world and it doesn’t always happen.” - http://www.doncasterfreepress.co.uk/sport/football/doncaster-rovers-race-for-wellens-hots-up-1-6352739#.UspuWHiRiU8.twitter

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He is a very good player, however I think a stronger, quicker DCM who can pass a bit, would augment our current midfield best.

Someone like James Bailey, perhaps?

Bailey had a good 10 minutes but for heavens sake, that's all it was! For someone to fail to make a mark after lengthy loan spells in the lower leagues to suddenly being put forward as the answer to our defensive midfield role is pure folly.

It's good that he gets another chance but let's not get carried away!

Bailey had a good 10 minutes but for heavens sake, that's all it was! For someone to fail to make a mark after lengthy loan spells in the lower leagues to suddenly being put forward as the answer to our defensive midfield role is pure folly.

good job you weren't around when we were considering Chris Martin then! His loan spell at Swindon was rubbish!

There are some on here who will say that Bailey hasn't been given a fair crack of the whip.

As far as him warranting inclusion is concerned, all he has to do is to prove that he is the best available at the current time. I don't know that, you don't know that, and how he has performed elsewhere with other players in other teams is not completely relevant.

I do like him, but not the name I would be hoping for.

Would rather stick with what we have than pay-out for him. I think we still have to work on blooding Hendrick into that role, if he can manage it. You have 3 of the best central midfield players in the league working with each other IMO - that's our base and should be our goal.

Hendrick can play holding midfield, but he's best breaking forward. 

Wellens is a plain non-starter for me, don't see he's better than we've got and he certainly won't improve.  

Archived