Ramage Balls

CapeTownRams

Did anyone see the interview with him in Derbyshire Life ? A nice little piece. Have to say that I really like the current RD comma team and Craig is a real star with some of his comments. He reminds me of a 'normal' Rams fan and says what I would say - albeit that he has the professional football background to add that bit of expert analysis.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought i would hate him. I didn't like him as a player......but

He's great.

He's passionate, good on tactics, good humoured.

Really good to listen to.

As for Ed.......hmmm

Have to disagree that he adds any sort of expert analysis - he says the obvious things over and over again and it seems to take him an age to twigg into whats going on when subs are made... e.g early into the SM reign he was banging on about how "Wardy needs to play through the middle" and "he's best through the middle" when it was obvious he was going to be playing wide.

Seems like a nice bloke though. Just got a very easy job.

Have to disagree that he adds any sort of expert analysis - he says the obvious things over and over again and it seems to take him an age to twigg into whats going on when subs are made... e.g early into the SM reign he was banging on about how "Wardy needs to play through the middle" and "he's best through the middle" when it was obvious he was going to be playing wide.

He does seem to be a decent guy - one of the lads, though I think he's cleverly worked out what a large percentage of fans want to hear and delivers accordingly. He certainly lacks professionalism in broadcasting terms but is able to get away with it by his 'Jack the Lad' style. Anyone counted how many 'at the end of the days' we get in the phone-in on a Monday evening?

Maybe I'm a bit too harsh but no doubt he's being well paid for what he's doing - it's the other two numpties who really bug me!

I quite like his input, you're right though, he does tend to repeat the same stock expressions/turn of phrase - he will grow into it in time. He needs work on his past participle when using the present perfect but don't most of us born Derbyshire way..

You can telll he likes his football but perhaps one of those people who find it hard to pontificate.

So much better than Roger Backstab Davies. Not the typical cliche BBC employee. Ramage might bumble on at times but he's 100% DCFC

Roger is 100% DCFC.

He makes me both smile and cringe in seemingly equal proportions with his grammatical 'Coleman balls', and its strangely addictive, 'He needs to use his football brain' (rather than 'footballing' brain, i know im being picky but its one i remember) was one i remember recently, a mental image of a player with a massive round head popped into my head ! 

But it true he does say the same thing over and over, but its also true, he is 100% DCFC  :)

Davies is as much a Rams fan as Ramage but was prepared to look at issues objectively - for me his problem was in being bland and often lacking passion - not something you can lay at Ramages' door. I can understand why Craig appeals to lots of fans but there are times when not everything is 'black or white'.

Maybe the Radio Derby bosses are happy to use Ramage to counter the banality of the 2 main presenters - surely the worst in the last 30 years.

Roger was awful, he struggled to make a coherent sentence. I like Ramage.

Sorry Roger for me. He knew what he was talking about and was a far better (footballer) journalist. I'm afraid CR grammar doesn't fit with the radio (in my opinion). I thought Roger was far more incitefull too.

I like Ramage but he talks like someone that left school at the age of 12. Though maybe that is just showing the generation of footballers he comes from. I can overlook the occasional mispronouncemment of a word or phrase for a good passionate Derby commentator.

Pet hates for me with any commentator is when they refer to players as "you've got yer Ward's, yer Bryson's,yer Wisdom's, yer Martin's"

How many we got of each player? Do we carry spares in the team bus?

Oh YES! This is the one. But he's probably studied Neville/Redknapp to pick up this trick, I was gonna keep count of the number of times they reference, "your Silva's, your Nasri's" but when it got into double figures after the first month, thay was enough for me...

I think he brightens up the whole commentary, with his insights into "rattin" and suchlike.

Is that opposed to a Bywater commentary with his insights into "ratout" and suchlike?

Archived