January

valleyram

The most important month of the season for derby county in years, I am sure there will be bids for Bryson and Hughes in the transfer window and if one or 2 of them go i fear the worst , those 2 are the best midfielders in the league right now and losing any of them will be a massive blow

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If we're still sat in the play offs come Jan I think the board will take a gamble and hold on to the both of them to the end of the season. No reason we can't sustain a push with one or two sensible signings and if we don't go up we'll get good value for the pair of them...

I think everyone recognises the fact that derailing any potential promotion would be far more costly financially than holding on six more months before selling off the family jewels.

I believe that if we are about where we are now (or better) during the whole of January, there's more chance of a quality player or two arriving than leaving, or else what's the point of changing the management team?

Cant see anyone going anywhere and hope I'm right. If anything we'll add to the squad because the board will smell permiership if we are even around the top six

Agreed, i think since Macs come in we have gone up another level and its exciting times around PP and i think the players will buy into it and want to be a part of it. maybe a little tweak here and there in Jan but nothing major, when Billy bought in numerous players during our promotion season he nearly derailed it. I think the moral and team spirit has always been there so no reason to risk upsetting it. Plus its nice to have a genuinely strong bench.

Agreed, i think since Macs come in we have gone up another level and its exciting times around PP and i think the players will buy into it and want to be a part of it. maybe a little tweak here and there in Jan but nothing major, when Billy bought in numerous players during our promotion season he nearly derailed it. I think the moral and team spirit has always been there so no reason to risk upsetting it. Plus its nice to have a genuinely strong bench.

And would MClaren have come if he knew we'd sell all of our gifted players at christmas. I think it's known in football Hughes is better staying with us at the moment. You are right seems to be a good sprit at Derby now I like the way he didn't just drop Bucko on Sunday for Keane, we all know it would need to happen if we went up but not yet that's not picking on Bucko but keogh and buxton would get pulled apart vs. say Man city. Just glad we got a new mananger early because a lot of people got sacked today and we could have ended up with some dross.

And would MClaren have come if he knew we'd sell all of our gifted players at christmas. I think it's known in football Hughes is better staying with us at the moment. You are right seems to be a good sprit at Derby now I like the way he didn't just drop Bucko on Sunday for Keane, we all know it would need to happen if we went up but not yet that's not picking on Bucko but keogh and Buxton would get pulled apart vs. say Man city. Just glad we got a new mananger early because a lot of people got sacked today and we could have ended up with some dross.

I completely agree with all of that. It will be the first real test if Celtic come in for Bryson for e.g. Someone mentioned £2m. Celtic aren't that wealthy so I would slap a £5m fee to frighten them off. We need to keep our better players. I suspect Mclaren will surprise us with one decent signing in January.

Ive said it before, but i'll say it again, I think the board, showed their intentions when they appointed Sam Rush, he was sent to do a specific job, he took stock reported his views and then the board and Rush sacked NC and appointed Mac, they want the next level now, they have cut away all they saw as 'dead wood',they invested in the youth, and are now rebuilding the 1st team, they trust Mac to do a job which they didnt believe NC coud do, He will attract better players,as we have seen, and whether Hughes or Bryson or anyone else goes, the reason is because long term they believe it will strengthen the squad, January will certainly be interesting, and i wouldn't be surprised to see Hughes sold,but stay, like Saha, but im sure that Hughes etc have seen whats happened there, so some cause for thought...

I completely agree with all of that. It will be the first real test if Celtic come in for Bryson for e.g. Someone mentioned £2m. Celtic aren't that wealthy so I would slap a £5m fee to frighten them off. We need to keep our better players. I suspect Mclaren will surprise us with one decent signing in January.

Yeah I agree I think any big bid and you'd have to start to think about it HOWEVER  the team seem settled now and Bryson leaving might rock the boat so you'd have to weigh it up.

Personally I can't see any major players leaving. However I think coutts, sammon, bavies, maybe Bailey, whitebread (end of loan) will be sold or loaned out. I hopeful of a top left back and a striker. By the end of jan we could be serious promotion challengers.

I'd love to see some foreign flair upfront to ease the pressure on Martin and to really stretch defends with pace

This is becoming the most exciting season for years!

A couple of months ago didn't a few people say Bryson had a really low buyout clause in his contract? 

There was a report in a national newspaper in October which was accepted in some message board circles as 'fact' as usual - however, seeing as Bryson only signed an extension in the summer, the supposed £750,000 clause seems highly dubious to say the least.

we've got dead wood in the squad, players like sammon, davies, bailey, gjokaj (loan?) and hoganson (loan) come to mind. if mcclaren manages to get rid of them then there's no reason he should be under pressure to let bryson or hughes go.

I don't consider any one of those players you have just mentioned to be 'dead wood'.

Valentin Gjokaj is only just 20 and Michael Hoganson is still a teenager (until tomorrow) - far too early to be written off. McClaren says that he wants a look at James Bailey, and both Sammon and Bavies were on the bench yesterday so are obviously still part of the first team squad.

The biggest problem we had under Clough was that if two key players got injured, we were down to the bare bones - do you honestly want to go back to those days?

Players will be released, players will be sold, players will be replaced - but it should only be with better.

Ive said it before, but i'll say it again, I think the board, showed their intentions when they appointed Sam Rush, he was sent to do a specific job, he took stock reported his views and then the board and Rush sacked NC and appointed Mac, they want the next level now, they have cut away all they saw as 'dead wood',they invested in the youth, and are now rebuilding the 1st team, they trust Mac to do a job which they didnt believe NC coud do, He will attract better players,as we have seen, and whether Hughes or Bryson or anyone else goes, the reason is because long term they believe it will strengthen the squad, January will certainly be interesting, and i wouldn't be surprised to see Hughes sold,but stay, like Saha, but im sure that Hughes etc have seen whats happened there, so some cause for thought...

Just to add to this, if The Mac is looking at possible promotion this season, then selling Hughes in Jan with him not leaving till the summer, would be an interesting option, as he could add 3/4 quality additions in readiness with the 12m, so that should we go up :o ,he doesnt need to add a whole squad, just a few well chosen additions, if we dont,... we are set for a solid season 14/15 and even more time to add quality in readiness for promotion in May 2015... or am i being too optomistic  :unsure:

We can go towards January quite relaxed. First team is working and bench looks strong. At least I fully trust that players would only leave if someone better is lined up. And there's good chance for that, Derby should look interesting team to join at the moment. Buzzing fans, promotion hopes, great facilities and top coaches.

I don't consider any one of those players you have just mentioned to be 'dead wood'.

Valentin Gjokaj is only just 20 and Michael Hoganson is still a teenager (until tomorrow) - far too early to be written off. McClaren says that he wants a look at James Bailey, and both Sammon and Bavies were on the bench yesterday so are obviously still part of the first team squad.

The biggest problem we had under Clough was that if two key players got injured, we were down to the bare bones - do you honestly want to go back to those days?

Players will be released, players will be sold, players will be replaced - but it should only be with better.

Depends what we're aiming for? Ben Davies shouldn't have been given a new deal! Never really made it and age is against him, can't see how or where he'll make an impact for us?

Sammon just doesn't seem to fit in this new system, Martin holds the ball and brings midfielders into the game with flicks and lay offs. Sammon can't do that. Sammon can be dangerous for the shift he puts in, worries defenders. His touch and finishing aren't good enough, I'd sell in January.

Bailey in a similar way to Ben Davies I just struggle to see breaking into the team. Quite a distance behind Hughes, Bryson, Hendrick and eustace. Cisse can be added to that list as well. Probably best for both sides to move on.

Think one if not two defenders will leave in January as well, whitbread being most likely. O Brien has to maintain his fitness for a decent period of time soon or time to let him go. With signings like wisdom and keane I just don't see him figuring often.

Would guess there will come a time for a decision to be made on Shaun barker? Not fit by the end of the season then will struggle I'd say. Again I think he'll struggle to get a place. Will have lost a lot in these two years.

Freeman, hoganson, gjokaj, ball are all going to struggle to get into a top championship side let alone a premiership side. Think that's what we're aiming for?

Jacobs is the only one I could see coming back into the fold and making an impact, playing really well at wolves, new system suits him, fans like him. Think it's up to him to convince mclaren he is worth a place soon.

Obviously this leaves the squad short, replace them with players that are all of the level required of the first team, or younger potential players from league 1/2. Ideally want a squad of 18 all at the required level. Let the 18 or so fight it out for places.

Archived