preparing for a defeat....

Mostyn6

Even though we have a very good away record, there is a good chance we can and will lose against the rich-kids of QPR this weekend.

Whilst Steve McClaren has some insider knowledge, having recently ended a 6 months stint coaching the first team at Loftus Road (well, wherever the training ground is!), there is evidently a massive gulf in quality of both squads.

QPR's squad, bursting with overpaid, talented, international and mainly experienced in the Premier League players, many of which would get into Premier League sides, compared to Derby's squad, thin on numbers, hard-working, in transition, lacking quality in depth and young with little experience at the highest level. Surely there can only be one winner?

So, assuming the worst, a QPR win, happens, how should we take it? (should I do a poll?!!)

Would it be a disaster? IS it a 'write-off' fixture anyway? Should we just pick ourselves up, dust ourselves down and get ready for the winnable games?

Personally, as long as we try to win, I can just about accept any result.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If we lose I think it will be a set back but I don't think the team will go in to the game afraid of defeat but more like we are going to win.

You can't win every game and a draw away from home is always a good result.

As a Rams fan you get disappointed when we lose but we are also realistic and we all know that 4 games with a new management team is early days.

With Dawkins,Wisdom and Whitbread we now have more options and with the new management teams coaching credentials I'm a lot happier about bouncing back from defeats than I was.

Interesting one this ,agree with everything Mostyn said. On paper its a wrtite off game for the reasons stated ,but its the Championship and any team can beat anyone [look at the dogs last weekend].

To be fair under Nigel when we had our usual run of bad form he must have kept the players with him ,and eventually he got us back on track.                                                                                                                                                                                                             IF  we do lose to QPR it will be interesting to see how the new management react and turn it round .They have had a good honeymoon period ,I expect a draw .

QPR should and most likely will be crapping themselves. Whether they've got a top squad or not.

We've got the best away record in the division, we're scoring goals for fun away from home and we're worried about them?

It's a must win game (at least it's a don't lose game) if we want to stay in touch with the play offs. Saturday gone was two points dropped and an opportunity went begging to really close the gap on the top 6.

There's no point what so ever in getting close to the play offs then dropping points again. We've got to learn to stay unbeaten and so far so good for Steve on that front. He's unbeaten so far and I expect him to be reminding everyone of that.

I'm expecting a point at least. We've got to put in another passing performance like we can and they won't be able to live with us. It's a shame Russell is not fit but we've still got enough in midfield and upfront to beat anyone. As the Watford (in patches), Brighton, Yeovil, Millwall games have proven, on our day we can smash teams off the park.

They've got a tough game away to Wigan on Wednesday while we've got our feet up concentrating on training. Energy levels should be topped up and we should be itching to show we're not scared of anyone.

Should we really accept writing games off as losses before we even kick off? Since when was that alright?

QPR away and must win game? Jesus Christ.

Read what i wrote little fella.

Or you could just look for an argument that isn't there again.

I said it's a must win game if we want to stay in touch with the top 6.

It could be QPR or it could be Accrington Stanley. We need 3 points to stay right in touch.

QPR should and most likely will be crapping themselves. Whether they've got a top squad or not.

We've got the best away record in the division, we're scoring goals for fun away from home and we're worried about them?

It's a must win game (at least it's a don't lose game) if we want to stay in touch with the play offs. Saturday gone was two points dropped and an opportunity went begging to really close the gap on the top 6.

There's no point what so ever in getting close to the play offs then dropping points again. We've got to learn to stay unbeaten and so far so good for Steve on that front. He's unbeaten so far and I expect him to be reminding everyone of that.

I'm expecting a point at least. We've got to put in another passing performance like we can and they won't be able to live with us. It's a shame Russell is not fit but we've still got enough in midfield and upfront to beat anyone. As the Watford (in patches), Brighton, Yeovil, Millwall games have proven, on our day we can smash teams off the park.

They've got a tough game away to Wigan on Wednesday while we've got our feet up concentrating on training. Energy levels should be topped up and we should be itching to show we're not scared of anyone.

Should we really accept writing games off as losses before we even kick off? Since when was that alright?

EVERY team knows that they will lose at some point(s) during the season. I would imagine every manager looks at fixtures and tries to work out where points will most likely be lost and won. Yes, I agree we should compete, I have already said as long as we try to win, I can accept defeat. As long as we don't roll-over and allow QPR to do what they want, as has happened in recent years, then I can abide a hard-fought loss.

It's "alright", because we are realistic and know that you cannot win every game.

Apart from it'll be the first game of November, against QPR away. Wouldn't quite say must win game at all.

Past seasons a game like this is a complete right off. Now, at least, we can expect to compete.

My biggest moan during Nigels time with us was that we never won a game when we really needed to win it to push on. Saturday was exactly the same, we could have been 2 points off top 6 and we blew it.

Maybe I'm paying too much attention to the table.

Watford play Leicester in the early kick off. (two play off contenders)

Forest play Blackpool at home (two teams in the top 6)

we play QPR who are on 27 points, we''ve got 19.

BY the time 5 o clock comes around our result away to QPR could either have us right in the mix, or we could be just on the edge but out of reach. We could be either 5 points or 11 points adrift of QPR,

We could be either 2 points or 8 points adrift of Blackpool.

That's what I mean by must win. We've closed the gap on the top 6 over the last 3 weeks, I don't want to see it open up again.

EVERY team knows that they will lose at some point(s) during the season. I would imagine every manager looks at fixtures and tries to work out where points will most likely be lost and won. Yes, I agree we should compete, I have already said as long as we try to win, I can accept defeat. As long as we don't roll-over and allow QPR to do what they want, as has happened in recent years, then I can abide a hard-fought loss.

It's "alright", because we are realistic and know that you cannot win every game.

You couldn't make it up if you tried Mostyn.

Season Date Home Score Away Competition 2010/2011 Mon 18 Apr Q.P.R. 0 - 0 Derby County Championship     Sat 28 Aug Derby County 2 - 2 Q.P.R. Championship   2009/2010 Tue 23 Mar Q.P.R. 1 - 1 Derby County Championship     Sat 24 Oct Derby County 2 - 4 Q.P.R. Championship   2008/2009 Sat 17 Jan Derby County 0 - 2 Q.P.R. Championship     Sat 27 Sep Q.P.R. 0 - 2 Derby County

There was one game where we rolled over and let them do what they want, that was the game we were two nil up.

The rest have looked fairly tight to me.

You couldn't make it up if you tried Mostyn.

Season Date Home Score Away Competition 2010/2011 Mon 18 Apr Q.P.R. 0 - 0 Derby County Championship     Sat 28 Aug Derby County 2 - 2 Q.P.R. Championship   2009/2010 Tue 23 Mar Q.P.R. 1 - 1 Derby County Championship     Sat 24 Oct Derby County 2 - 4 Q.P.R. Championship   2008/2009 Sat 17 Jan Derby County 0 - 2 Q.P.R. Championship     Sat 27 Sep Q.P.R. 0 - 2 Derby County

There was one game where we rolled over and let them do what they want, that was the game we were two nil up.

The rest have looked fairly tight to me.

sorry, take the word 'QPR' out and replace with "opposition" , to please the pedants.

How's about "As long as we don't roll-over and allow the opposition to do what they want, as has happened in recent years, then I can abide a hard-fought loss"??

We've got more than a decent away record against them Mostyn. I don't know where this it's ok to lose is coming from.

We've played them 20 times at Loftus road and they've only won 4 of the buggers.

It's never acceptable to go into a game accepting a loss.

It shouldn't start now.

sorry, take the word 'QPR' out and replace with "opposition" , to please the pedants.

How's about "As long as we don't roll-over and allow the opposition to do what they want, as has happened in recent years, then I can abide a hard-fought loss"??

Pedantic?

You were wrong bonnie lad, thats not me being pedantic. You said QPR, if you'd have said the opposition I wouldn't have pulled up the QPR results.

Go for the jugular and we'll beat top teams. Saw that against Watford.

People are saying we were crap in 2nd half at Watford but I thought they just started playing as well as they can do and there was a gulf in class. It'll happen again at some point on Saturday, but if we're aggressive going forward we can take anyone.

Pressure is off McClaren right now - he can't make any changes to the squad to improve us until January and he's got 2 1/2 years to get us up, so time is on his side. Just enjoy it, and try to batter teams.

My one positive is that Wigan are the 'next game' after QPRs defeat at Burnley.

QPR will be massively fired up and I think they'll look to give someone a hammering.

I must admit I'm torn. My head says we'll get beat, but my heart says we'll pick up a point.

With this game, I'm more concerned about the performance.

It'll tell us a lot about where we are.

Even though we have a very good away record, there is a good chance we can and will lose against the rich-kids of QPR this weekend.

Whilst Steve McClaren has some insider knowledge, having recently ended a 6 months stint coaching the first team at Loftus Road (well, wherever the training ground is!), there is evidently a massive gulf in quality of both squads.

QPR's squad, bursting with overpaid, talented, international and mainly experienced in the Premier League players, many of which would get into Premier League sides, compared to Derby's squad, thin on numbers, hard-working, in transition, lacking quality in depth and young with little experience at the highest level. Surely there can only be one winner?

So, assuming the worst, a QPR win, happens, how should we take it? (should I do a poll?!!)

Would it be a disaster? IS it a 'write-off' fixture anyway? Should we just pick ourselves up, dust ourselves down and get ready for the winnable games?

Personally, as long as we try to win, I can just about accept any result.

Good god man, it's not the bloomin alamo!

So we lose. So what. Big deal. Most sides will lose to QPR this season. They have a top manager (despite the hatred toward him on here to which I cannot understand), a top side and are looking every bit the top side in the division.

You start a thread called 'preparing for a defeat' and then prattle on about how we must try. I'm glad you're not the manager.

The Mostyn Teamtalk:

"OK lads.....prepare yourself for a defeat but you must try. If you lose then I'll accept it but you must try"

Seriously man. Pull yourself together.

Archived