Racism Row

Bris Vegas

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

3.45% of people in the UK are black. 2.76% of Professional football managers are black. 

I think a more relevant statistic would be that 30% of UK footballers are black, but 2.76% of managers. Virtually all managers are former pro players. It's a de facto promotion following playing retirement. Therefore a black player is ten times less likely to become a manager. If I was a black former player and was unable to get a management or coaching job, that statistic may irk me. 

What thing I find ironic about the Greg Dyke panel, is that after the fuss of not having a black person on the panel, they've decided to appoint the one who has publicly made a racist comment towards another black person.

And how was the whole thing not racist in itself? They were complaining a black person was not on the panel. So now there is. He's not there on his own merit's, or because he was in the top ten (or however many) people qualified to be there, he's on the panel because he's black. That's wrong.

The other thing is, there are twice as many asian people in this country than black people. Why are there no asian managers? Why is this not being discussed in headline news stories?

Society of Black Lawyers? Imagine if I started a Society of White Lawyers. How long until I was shut down or called racist?

I think a more relevant statistic would be that 30% of UK footballers are black, but 2.76% of managers. Virtually all managers are former pro players. It's a de facto promotion following playing retirement. Therefore a black player is ten times less likely to become a manager. If I was a black former player and was unable to get a management or coaching job, that statistic may irk me. 

But that would depend how many want to go into coaching, and what sort of jobs they're asking for..

Michael Johnson's comments irk me.. The guy is on the coaching staff of Birmingham City, so who exactly is he talking about here?

He just mentions black people.. Well if they want to prove anything, why don't they write a list of all the black people that have gone for coaching staff positions over the past 5 years and see where they've been accepted and rejected and whose been left out of favour..

His comments imply that many black people have been turned away because of the colour of their skin.. Well who are these people, what jobs have they been turned away from?

The majority of football managers in the football league (92 clubs) have been around and are well known figures.. yes, there has been some like Roy Keane, Gareth Southgate, Dennis Wise etc. who worked in with little experience but then again so have Paul Ince and Chris Powell..

I simply cannot see any issue here regarding the colour of their skin.. This is England in the 21st century we're talking about here, regardless of what you look like, if you've got ability you'll get the job... Just look at Sam Allardyce, the oaf..

I too would like to see examples of black people being turned down and who they were turned down for.

What jobs has Johnson applied for? Who got it instead?

He's got to understand that like any other job people are looking for experience.

I too would like to see examples of black people being turned down and who they were turned down for.

What jobs has Johnson applied for? Who got it instead?

He's got to understand that like any other job people are looking for experience.

Everyone becomes a manager for the first time once.

Why?

Because if it is lower than the percentage of football players and managers I will want to know why they are not kicking up a fuss about it.

It's either Japan or China - but it's much harder to get a job over there if you happen to have white skin.

And in some schools they'll have a 'Black history month' but yet no white one but it seems some white Americans feel they are discriminated against from black people. After the whole abolishing black slavery thing and focusing on equality, and not forgetting voting in the US's first black President, I'm quite surprised by it...

So by no means is racism in some form just over here, it seems it's on it's merry way around the world and in the grand scheme of things is much bigger than just football.

this is a bit stupid:-

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/frimpong-warned-on-racist-tweet-8910928.html

I notice that people are comparing the percentage of Black footballers in England compared to the percentage of Black managers in England, but nobody has noticed the percentage of managers in top jobs that never even played in England.

There is NO direct correlation between playing in the country and managing in the country. There's no statistic that says white English/British managers are employed over white European managers, let alone Black managers.

Football clubs will employ the person they think is most likely to bring them success. Simple.

Ruud Gullitt and Jean Tigana had success has players and were top international players, I think this counts for more than Michael Johnson being from Nottingham.

Everyone becomes a manager for the first time once.

I was forced to apply for a lot if jobs over the last 3 weeks. I tried telling them that it's impossible to gain experience if everyone wants experienced people.

I understand it from their perspective. But they'll always go for the easy bet.

Archived