Racism Row

Bris Vegas

Black players demoralised in England, says Fifa vice-president

The head of Fifa's anti-racism task force says he was left "disheartened" after meeting "demoralised" black and ethnic minority players in England.

Jeffrey Webb said many non-white players felt they did not get chances to move into coaching or management.

He met players including Reading's Jason Roberts, who has lobbied for more diverse boardrooms in football.

Webb said: "The [English] game must reflect society and the community. It doesn't do so."

Reading striker Roberts, 35, has been in consultation with the Professional Footballers' Association in drawing up plans to ensure qualified ethnic minority coaches are on interview lists for job vacancies.

After Chris Kiwomya left Notts County by mutual consent on Sunday, there are only three black managers in the 92 clubs in the Premier League and Football League despite more than 30% of players being non-white.

Fifa vice-president Webb, who also met Yaya Toure to discuss racial abuse the Manchester City player received against CSKA Moscow, has previously called on English football to "look in the mirror and engage", given what he believes is a lack of opportunity for black and ethnic minority players in terms of senior coaching, managerial and boardroom positions.

Black managers in English football
  • Premier League: Chris Hughton (Norwich)
  • Championship: Paul Ince (Blackpool), Chris Powell (Charlton)

Football Association chairman Greg Dyke faced criticism from his own board earlier this month after a commission set up to improve the England team initially consisted entirely of white men.

Jamaica-born Heather Rabbatts, the FA's only female board member, said at the time that the opportunity to lead an informed debate on the future of English football had been "singularly damaged".

Since then, Dyke has added Manchester defender Rio Ferdinand to the commission.

But Webb feels the fact that Ferdinand is the only non-white panel member is a sign that diversity on the pitch is not being reflected off it.

He told BBC Sport: "There's a lot of young players coming through, I understand that more than 30% of the league is made up of people of African descent and over 71 different nationalities playing in the Premier League. But it's not reflected, they're not getting an opportunity.

"And many of them are becoming very demoralised and these are issues of course that we hope the FA will take on and that of the Premier League."

The lack of black and ethnic minority coaches in the game has prompted the PFA to issue a "ready-list" of qualified former players who they believe can step into vacant coaching positions.

But after what was described as a "breakthrough" meeting between the PFA and Football League chairman Greg Clarke last season, the players' union has been left disappointed by the failure of the league to discuss its "Coaching Fair Play" initiative with clubs.

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is anyone else getting rather annoyed at the drivel being spouted out over this?

Why do certain people have throw the race card into everything?

Why must we feel the need to employ black people just to balance society? Surely jobs should be given based on their ability to do the job before anything else..

Where is the call for more Portuguese 1 legged transexuals in the boardroom? I don't see many of those... Where is the diversity?

It's just ridiculous buddy..

They're complaining that Rio Ferdinand is the only black member on Greg Dyke's board and this isn't right..

What does it matter what color skin the person has? Greg Dyke needed to choose some board members, so he should choose the best suitable for the job.. It's pathetic when it comes down to stuff like this.. 'Oh there is only 1 black member, we need at least 3 so let's remove 2 others who are better qualified for the job just to show some diversity'..

Feck off..

The rascism issue is getting serious enough to kill the game. Even though it should be such a non issue.

The black manager question, I can see that has merits but  I wonder if anyone has figures to hand of what is the % of black players  (can I say that?) have passed their coaching badges?

As for the racist fans? I can honestly see the society do-gooders getting a club closed down and once that starts to happen we'll all have to sit and watch players in empty stadiums on TV>

What a surprise that someone from FIFA is highlight the English game and it's problems when there are leagues all over the world where monkey chanting is still tolerated.

If our league is the worst in the world........If our league is the first one they seriously clamp down on...

It's just ridiculous buddy..

They're complaining that Rio Ferdinand is the only black member on Greg Dyke's board and this isn't right..

What does it matter what color skin the person has? Greg Dyke needed to choose some board members, so he should choose the best suitable for the job.. It's pathetic when it comes down to stuff like this.. 'Oh there is only 1 black member, we need at least 3 so let's remove 2 others who are better qualified for the job just to show some diversity'..

Feck off..

I do agree, that the best person for the job should get it whether that results in a 100 per cent White work place, or a 35 per cent Black work place, is neither hear or there.

I do agree, that the best person for the job should get it whether that results in a 100 per cent White work place, or a 35 per cent Black work place, is neither hear or there.

I'd have absolutely no complaints if Greg Dyke appointed 8 black board memebers and zero white board members if those 8 people are best for the job..

In fact, can you imagine anyone complaining that there aren't any white board members should it be an all black board?... I doubt anyone would kick up a fuss..

Is anyone else getting rather annoyed at the drivel being spouted out over this?

Why do certain people have throw the race card into everything?

Why must we feel the need to employ black people just to balance society? Surely jobs should be given based on their ability to do the job before anything else..

Where is the call for more Portuguese 1 legged transexuals in the boardroom? I don't see many of those... Where is the diversity?

I think the point is that jobs are not given based on ability. There is quite a lot of giving jobs to your mates - see Avram Grant at Chelsea, joke in 'ere at Newcastle - and plenty of people getting jobs based on their reputation in another job (playing).

We will never know how many appointments are made after a rigorous application process, so the whole thing is moot really. CEOs will appoint who they want irrespective of suitability.

I think the point is that jobs are not given based on ability. There is quite a lot of giving jobs to your mates - see Avram Grant at Chelsea, joke in 'ere at Newcastle - and plenty of people getting jobs based on their reputation in another job (playing).

We will never know how many appointments are made after a rigorous application process, so the whole thing is moot really. CEOs will appoint who they want irrespective of suitability.

TBF to Avram, he had a very good record at Maccabi Haifa and was decent for Israel. If only Terry had not sliced that kick, Chelsea were surprisingly good under him, he was still unbeaten at SB as a manager.

It's gone daft.

Moscow fans doing monkey chants at Yaya Toure is racism.

Counting black faces is boardrooms is politically correct ********.

Ultimately, the free market kills racism. If you're good enough to get results you'll get employed.

Tokenism and quota filling gets you nowhere.

Not enough albino footballers imo.

It's a farce. Do you see a black footballer or a white footballer? No, you see a good footballer or a bad footballer

An England line up may realistically include

Hart

JOHNSON

Cahill

Jagielka

COLE

WALCOTT

Lampard

Gerrard

TOWNSEND

STURRIDGE

WELLBECK

That could be a side we field. Realistically.

Over half the team are black players. Would anyone care? Would anyone be against it for any other reason than quality?

Get real

Archived