Rumours linking Andre Wisdom of Liverpool over a possible loan

North_Stand_Ram

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

McClaren was talking about a back 3 before the Watford game. Bringing Wisdom in as a centre back gives us more flexibility to do that.

That's good to know. As an avid Championship Manager enthusiast and an aficionado of 3-5-2 and 3-4-3 in that medium, I feel particularly qualified to talk just as much garbage about that formation as I do about any other one.

Look how much McClaren has broadened my outlook already.

No sorry got that wrong my mistake. I meant pre 31st August transfer deadline day to strengthen the squad so now we are left with loans until January. Who's fault was that !

I think we know who's fault that is. But you get in trouble for mentioning the old guard.

Before forest game we had keogh and Buxton, with only an inexperienced kid in gjocki (sp) for back up.

Every one knew we needed a new CB. We went for Albrighton.

I think we know who's fault that is. But you get in trouble for mentioning the old guard.

Before forest game we had keogh and Buxton, with only an inexperienced kid in gjocki (sp) for back up.

Did we actually go for Albrighton? Smacks of one of those names thrown in like we were seriously looking just to get fans excited, before we couldn't quite land him. Happened a few times...

Bucko to Sheff Utd now that Wisdom has come ?. Thanks Bucko If true, especially for that goal against Fores**t.

Actually feel bad for him. I rate him higher than keogh (not hard) and sured up the defence against Watford.

Maybe his reported loyalty to Clough has finished him.

Did we actually go for Albrighton? Smacks of one of those names thrown in like we were seriously looking just to get fans excited, before we couldn't quite land him. Happened a few times...

Clough openly said we were after a right mid. Confused me massively at the time.

Exactly it was an untenable situation. I call it stubbornness by the old guard.

Seemed fairly obvious to me - we were struggling to break down teams at home, so go for a creative, pacy winger than can get in behind teams, with a reasonable goal scoring record as well.

At home yes, defence was struggling home and away. It's all about prioritising when on a small budget.

Are we so used to having the bare minimum that the shear prospect of us signing an England U21 defender is somehow seen as wasteful, needless or a sign that we will sell someone else?It gives us options, cover, etc. All the things that we were moaning about not too long ago. Also it doesn't matter if there was money and Nigel didn't spend or Nigel didn't have any money and now the board have changed their tactics. Let's just enjoy the now and the future, rather than argue with each other about the past. Good signing I say.

Indeed, or do some people think we are so good that the England u21 skipper and a player who played 20 times in the premiership last season for one of the country's most high profile clubs isn't good enough for one of the leakiest defence's in the championship? I'd have him above smith any day, or stick him in the middle with Whitbread.

You have a point lets all move on

Can't...... embroiled in an argument about why I'm entitled to dislike an entire genre of music with someone who also dislikes an entire but different genre. Need to determine who is the snob and who is the hypocrite - need closure. Brain can't deal with two things at once. 

And so it was, Obi-Wan, that the wrist-slashers of yore became the happy-clappers of the new empire. 

I'm intrigued as to whether or not someone who was so firmly entrenched (as opposed to someone flip-flopping opinion) as myself was in my belief that the previous regime was wrong, was considered a wrist-slasher?

I personally think it's the opposite, as I (believed I) had an answer to see improvements, which makes me the optimist, whereas those convinced that a change would have no positive impact are surely the negative ones??

Anyway, Andre Wisdom. I want some more of Andre's Wisdom...

Indeed, or do some people think we are so good that the England u21 skipper and a player who played 20 times in the premiership last season for one of the country's most high profile clubs isn't good enough for one of the leakiest defence's in the championship? I'd have him above smith any day, or stick him in the middle with Whitbread.

He only played 12 PL games last season, 2 this. Think it was 4 Europa League games too and 4/5 cup games. None of that is to be sniffed at but that is the sum total of his senior footballing career.

Aside from that of course he has been a regular at all youth international levels, looked at the FA website and he's made 37 appearances across all age groups.

However nothing above guarantees he'll be up to the grind of Championship football, he IS still very inexperienced, even if the experience he does have is impressive.

I think people are just wary (and it's my only concern too) that he won't fit the bill of being the dominant, leading the defender we still lack, and we've all seen supposedly promising players falter badly in loan spells. We're/They're just being cautious not to assume that captaining the U21s and playing a few games for Liverpool at a time when they were light on defenders will automatically mean he'll improve us to any real degree.

As well as a centre half maybe. Not instead of.

And your basis for knowing that we weren't after a centre half as well is?  Nigel said several times that we would bring in a defender if we could find one that's better than what we had, so he was clearly on the lookout for one.  Just because Albrighton was the only name being mentioned in the press doesn't mean he was the only player we were after.

Archived