GSE and the Owners; where do you stand?

Mostyn6

The GSE/Owners opinion poll  

165 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Managers have spent owners money for donkeys years - mainly on donkeys if truth be told. Clough the elder was fond of paying huge transfer fees, breaking the British record on more than one occasion. If it works like it did for Brian then alls well but when very average managers have unlimited budgets its a recipe for disaster.

GSE got badly stung by Billy Davies and then compounded it by chucking cash at Jewell. 

Thats the reason they went for Nigel. Right from the start he had a definite budget and target to reduce the wage bill. If they had gone for a "proven" manager at Prem or Championship level he would have wanted money to replace the ***** (or pay some one like Commons the money he would have stayed for), so a lower league manager was the obvious choice as he would take the job with the financial restraints as part of the contract.

GSE to their credit realised their mistakes and actually showed a long term commitment to DCFC by covering the yearly losses and allowing a young, unproven at this level manager, the time to reduce the wages and put together a squad capable of challenging the top six for next to nowt.

I believe that GSE are pretty canny and have seen the potential that Clough put together and decided to gamble on the next phase with a higher profile manager. They know Steve has a history of spending big money so maybe the decision to sack Nige after 9 games this season was a masterstroke - in between transfer windows so no chance of silly demands - making him work with what he's got, realising he has the makings of a team, so not pushing for big signings in January.

Overall, I reckon GSE are by far`not the worst owners we've ever had. They may yet prove to be one of the best if it works out with Steve and Simmo!

I admire your optimism Utch! Personally I think you're giving GSE a bit too much credit but we'll see in the next few months. If McClaren and Simmo work wonders then the owners / board will be praised (or forgotten, as everyone will be talking about the football). If they fail the heat really will be on the owners / board then.

I admire your optimism Utch! Personally I think you're giving GSE a bit too much credit but we'll see in the next few months. If McClaren and Simmo work wonders then the owners / board will be praised (or forgotten, as everyone will be talking about the football). If they fail the heat really will be on the owners / board then.

I can't see how the heat will be on the owners / board.

You haven't got the financial clout to replace them - and I've never seen a single anti-board fan ever put forward a viable alternative.

If they are willing to sell, then they need a buyer.

You've got to go with it AndyB, the Rams rollercoaster has taken us to some weird and wonderful places over the years and maybe its time for one of the latter..... :p

Shackell presumably was sold for more than we paid for him. I know all transfers are for undisclosed fees but I understand we signed him for around £750k and sold him for around £1.2m.

I certainly feel justified in criticising the current owners / board for at first over spending and then under spending. Firstly the age and likely sell on value of the players bought in their first two transfer windows was naive at best. Yes blame Jewell but someone let him do it. Where was the financial control and sound strategy? Isn't that what boards are for?

Then they've been so tight since then that we've had virtually no chance of going back up.

I think a club in our position should have had a yoyo club strategy. Over spend in the championship and recoup in the premier league with parachute payments. Long term you become established in the premier league. West Brom would be a good example.

You say someone let Jewell buy the players, wouldn't that be Adam Pearson?

Longson - got rid of our best ever manager

Pickering - took us to the edge of bankruptcy which ended up with 3 Amigos buying us for £1

LOG - sold us to the owners you so despise

They all 'cared for the club' though. Probably the most blinkered post I have ever seen.

Not accurate

Longson - Clough walked out

Pickering - Lost over £ 30 million of his own money trying to make us a force

LOG - ALL of them made millions in the deal to GSE

Not accurate

I was told, they didn't make a penny

Not what Don Amott said last Monday in the pub, in front of plenty of Derby fans. Not what I was told by other board members in person. I was told they all doubled their money.

I will take your word for it.

Is that taking money out of the club though, which some people seemed to be implying. If GSE were able to acquire the club for half what they paid, it seems to me that the only difference would be that GSE would be unable to state "We have invested X + Y in Derby County". Instead, they would be saying "We have invested X/2 + Y in Derby County".

I will take your word for it.

Is that taking money out of the club though, which some people seemed to be implying. If GSE were able to acquire the club for half what they paid, it seems to me that the only difference would be that GSE would be unable to state "We have invested X + Y in Derby County". Instead, they would be saying "We have invested X/2 + Y in Derby County".

you could be right regarding that, I doubt if they paid £10m less, they'd have invested £10m on players!

As for the LOG, my accusation is never that they took money out, more that (when people cry out for certain members of that board to return, I don't want them because) they couldn't wait to 'cash in' on a fluke/unexpected promotion.

According to Don Amott though, who was grilled about this, he said he didn't really want to sell, but the americans promised to do what he couldn't afford to do, his opinion was "they've done about 70% of what they said"

Not accurate

Clough walked out - agreed

Pickering - may have lost a lot of his own money but also left Derby on the edge of bankruptcy - not sure which part you are disputing

LOG - not aware of the facts and not sure how you could be either

The first two transfer windows were the boards fault? How exactly? Because Jewell wasted the money.. Yet it was the boards fault for backing him? Surely any board with money is going to back his manager.. Was it the Liverpool boards fault they bought Carroll, Downing and Henderson for over $100mill? The board gave Dalglish $100mill, what more can you ask for? He wasted it..

Jewell didn't want to spend any money in Jan, he knew we were down and what we spent would end up being wasted.  But GSE wanted to "make an impression" and their insistence was probably their one big mistake that has shaped their entire tenure at the club.

Archived