GSE and the Owners; where do you stand?

Mostyn6

The GSE/Owners opinion poll  

165 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Jewell didn't want to spend any money in Jan, he knew we were down and what we spent would end up being wasted.  But GSE wanted to "make an impression" and their insistence was probably their one big mistake that has shaped their entire tenure at the club.

I can't buy into that at all I'm afraid.

How does already knowing we are down mean signing anyone was going to be wasted money?

I'm sure there were much better signings out there to be made than the players Jewell bought.

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jewell didn't want to spend any money in Jan, he knew we were down and what we spent would end up being wasted.  But GSE wanted to "make an impression" and their insistence was probably their one big mistake that has shaped their entire tenure at the club.

he did a good job of hiding his reluctance by fluffing all that wonga on Carroll, Villa, Savage, Mills, Stubbs, Ghaly, Robert and Sterjovski(?). If Jewell was so conscious of the money being wasted, he could certainly have invested it a bit more wisely. I'm not sure that they had any influence in spending the money, I think it was Adam Pearson and Paul Jewell themselves that instigated it.

he did a good job of hiding his reluctance by fluffing all that wonga on Carroll, Villa, Savage, Mills, Stubbs, Ghaly, Robert and Sterjovski(?). If Jewell was so conscious of the money being wasted, he could certainly have invested it a bit more wisely. I'm not sure that they had any influence in spending the money, I think it was Adam Pearson and Paul Jewell themselves that instigated it.

I heard the owners drove him to an ATM withdrew all of the money and said 'now going make a signal of intent to the fans by signing household names such as Villa, Ghaly and Sterjovski'

I'm not saying he couldn't have done better, but if he'd have signed decent/up-and-coming Champ-level players for a promo push the next season it's not really gonna make a big impression while we're in the Prem.

I just have the feeling if they'd kept their power dry until the summer, things would've been much less worse.  Even if Jewell hadn't spent well then it would've been less costly and owner's money may have stretched a bit further.

Just my feelings though.

Clough walked out - agreed

Pickering - may have lost a lot of his own money but also left Derby on the edge of bankruptcy - not sure which part you are disputing

LOG - not aware of the facts and not sure how you could be either

Pickering - I feel for this guy - shafted by we all know who - lost over £ 30 million quid of his own money - badly let down by we all know who

LOG - Appreciate you dont have to believe me - However its totally accurate what I stated - understand that you may or may not take my word for it

They ALL made Millions - They only put a relatively small amount in each - ALL put the same amount in.

It is on record what they got paid out - millions made by each director.

Kind of contradictory there though.

You say in one post that they put very little in, doubled there money and made millions from it?

I'm not saying he couldn't have done better, but if he'd have signed decent/up-and-coming Champ-level players for a promo push the next season it's not really gonna make a big impression while we're in the Prem.

I just have the feeling if they'd kept their power dry until the summer, things would've been much less worse.  Even if Jewell hadn't spent well then it would've been less costly and owner's money may have stretched a bit further.

Just my feelings though.

Sadly, Jewell arrived here a broken man, carrying the baggage of a failing marriage and the prospect of a scandal hanging over his head. His judgement was very much clouded, and whilst I have no doubt whatsoever that he did want success here, he did want to "do it" at a big(ger) club. His plan was flawed, his recruitment strategy was scattergun, his scouting poor and his loyalty unrewarded. Admittedly, Davies, Hulse, Green and Commons became decent signings, but from memory, lets look at the list:-

Carroll

Stubbs

Mills

Savage

Ghaly

Robert

Sterjovski

Villa

Green

Connolly

Davies

Hulse

Commons

Stewart

Albrechtsen

Ellington

Kazmierczak

Pereplotkins

the kid who trashed Stephen Pearsons flat. name escapes me. Dickinson??

Prijovic

Radovic

Varney

Powell

Tomkins

<Bananas>

First I've heard of that.

REALLY? A lot of people reported it as Adam Pearson's flat. When I asked Adam, he said that he doesn't live in a flat, it was someone else with the same surname.

Apparently Liam Dickenson threw a party at S Pearson's gaff, some of Liam's less desirable acquaintances turned up and trashed it. I hear one even took a poo in one of Pearson's Scotland caps. Hence Dickenson being bombed out by Adam Pearson and Paul Jewell, deservedly so too... IMO

Kind of contradictory there though.

You say in one post that they put very little in, doubled there money and made millions from it?

Splitting hairs again I see

I said a relatively small amount - in terms of investing into a football club - not buying a can of beans !!

They invested a fraction of what they claimed they invested at the time (still a large amount to most people)

There investment was then multipied - hence made millions

Anyway, on another LOG note... didn't some of the other investors leave under somewhat of a cloud amidst rumours of fallings out?

this was blamed on two things, well actually one thing twice! Billy Davies and Billy Davies.

Billy divided the board, half wanted rid, half wanted to keep.

Also, the chairman and CEO (Trevor Birch) approached Paul Jewell and offered him Davies' job, before Wembley. Jewell told Billy, Billy's solicitor demanded both were removed from their positions or he's sue for constructive dismissal. Birch left and Horton took over as acting chairman for a brief period.

I said a relatively small amount - in terms of investing into a football club - not buying a can of beans !!

They invested a fraction of what they claimed they invested at the time (still a large amount to most people)

Meant - 'Their'

Sorry, was not necessarily aimed at you.

It was Mostyn that said they had invested £1million each, not the £5million claimed in the papers.

So if they doubled that £1million, they made £1million...not the millions you try to make it sound like?

Just for the record I am not sticking up for them because I like them, I'm sure if you are a regular reader of the forum you will know I have no affinity with the LOG as they are referred to.

this was blamed on two things, well actually one thing twice! Billy Davies and Billy Davies.

Billy divided the board, half wanted rid, half wanted to keep.

Also, the chairman and CEO (Trevor Birch) approached Paul Jewell and offered him Davies' job, before Wembley. Jewell told Billy, Billy's solicitor demanded both were removed from their positions or he's sue for constructive dismissal. Birch left and Horton took over as acting chairman for a brief period.

Thanks, my memory is terrible!

I was thinking of the Marples departure as well, and rumours of a row about where the money came from for the Earnshaw signing, something like that. Essentially what I'm trying to get at in a totally non libellous way is: Was the necessity to sell up expediated by certain leading figures' inability to play nicely with others?

Archived