Pride Park Stadium - a Place of Community Value

maydrakin

Noticed there has been some discussion surrounding the status of the ground, with the mortgage being up in 2016.

Just wondering if we should be looking into something like getting PP lodged as a place of community value?

In effect, if the owners wish to sell off the ground, they have to communicate and give notice, including allowing the community (clubs' supporters trust) first option to buy.

Whilst £15m is probably out of our price range, it at least gives us visibility as fans.

I read an article Man Utd doing so, and I see a number of other clubs are also doing so, such as Leicester here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leicestershire-24023144

A more in depth overview can be found here:

http://locality.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/Community-Right-to-Bid-The-Implications-for-Supporters-Trusts.pdf

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I certainly don't trust the owners / board with our asset. Why would we trust them?

Therefore sounds like a good idea to me.

'Our asset'? If it's our asset we have no need to worry do we?

You're right though, why would we trust anyone that has been covering our cash losses for the last 3 or 4 years?

'Our asset'? If it's our asset we have no need to worry do we?

You're right though, why would we trust anyone that has been covering our cash losses for the last 3 or 4 years?

I'm sure that you mean, 'why we would we trust anyone that has been covering their cash losses for the last 3 or 4 years?'

I'm sure that you mean, 'why we would we trust anyone that has been covering their cash losses for the last 3 or 4 years?'

So the ground is our asset but the losses are theirs?

Good idea.

This should be done as a matter of course. Its not about trust (or lack of) with the present owners but any possible future owner as well.

When you look at some of the criminals we've had as owners over the years then it would be as well to have the option.

Good idea.

This should be done as a matter of course. Its not about trust (or lack of) with the present owners but any possible future owner as well.

When you look at some of the criminals we've had as owners over the years then it would be as well to have the option.

Not sure how this works in practice but if I were the owners I would fight it vigorously as surely any asset with a charge like that over it would be seriously devalued and could impact on the future sale price of the club?

Not sure how this works in practice but if I were the owners I would fight it vigorously as surely any asset with a charge like that over it would be seriously devalued and could impact on the future sale price of the club?

Not at all. It only gives a Supporters trust the right to bid if the stadium came up for sale. The owners are not compelled to accept that bid. 

No, the ground is theirs as well - which is surely the point of the OP?

I was responding to the second post which referred to the ground as 'our asset'

Not at all. It only gives a Supporters trust the right to bid if the stadium came up for sale. The owners are not compelled to accept that bid.

Without meaning to sound like a knob, the point of doing it would be exactly what then?

Without meaning to sound like a knob, the point of doing it would be exactly what then?

It's a meaningless gesture from a board who like to spin stuff to look good but have no intention of ever investing any money in the club (which is the first thing that will be posted about it, if the board ever did it :D )

Long term it means that a future owner would have to be open about their intentions to sell the stadium. They couldn't for instance do a secret deal with a developer and sell it overnight without anyone knowing.

The supporters would have the chance to see if they could raise enough money to at least bid for the ground. Unlikely scenario and hopefully it'll never happen, but by achieving "Community Asset" status DCFC would have a chance of remaining in Derby if someone wanted to do a Wimbledon!

Long term it means that a future owner would have to be open about their intentions to sell the stadium. They couldn't for instance do a secret deal with a developer and sell it overnight without anyone knowing.

The supporters would have the chance to see if they could raise enough money to at least bid for the ground. Unlikely scenario and hopefully it'll never happen, but by achieving "Community Asset" status DCFC would have a chance of remaining in Derby if someone wanted to do a Wimbledon!

Never thought of it like that. Good point.

I'm not sure that the owners have a legal right to contest it, if it is deemed to fit the criteria of a community asset.

As mentioned, the Glazers were opposed the equivalent for Old Trafford, however the bad press (and probable lack of ability to contest it) meant that they withdrew their opposition to such a scheme.

Is there a recognised supporters group that could drive this?

I'm not sure that the owners have a legal right to contest it, if it is deemed to fit the criteria of a community asset.

As mentioned, the Glazers were opposed the equivalent for Old Trafford, however the bad press (and probable lack of ability to contest it) meant that they withdrew their opposition to such a scheme.

Maybe something that could be put forward to Sam Rush at one of these pub meetings?

Yes, but most on here wouldn't like it.

Archived