Would you want us to do a Spurs?

WilkoRam

The same common sense that would have seen Walcott taken to the World Cup as a 17 year old?

I'm sorry, I don't quite get what it is that you are saying (in fact I haven't a clue what your point is) - what has Walcott got to do with anything? Different player, and a completely different man in charge of the England side. I certainly didn't think that it was right to take Walcott at 17, especially when he was never near to getting on the pitch. It was a place totally wasted.

Hughes at 18 is very likely going to be nowhere near the World Cup team. Hughes at 20 possibly has a chance of being involved at a full international level.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why, if he was at a bigger club he would have LESS chance of a game maybe.

You are not saying that he is good enough to start at one of the top clubs are you.

If he stayed with us he would play most games ,if fit.

Sell him in January if we are out of the reckoning for promotion, or if the manager thinks it would benefit the team,

we are Derby, not a nursery

If he goes through the whole season playing well then yes I'm sure there would be a lot of bigger teams than us that would possibly be able to offer him a starting spot next season.

Jordan Henderson and Joe Allen both have started for Liverpool and a year down the line Hughes won't be far away from where they are now in my opinion.

I'm sorry, I don't quite get what it is that you are saying (in fact I haven't a clue what your point is) - what has Walcott got to do with anything? Different player, and a completely different man in charge of the England side. I certainly didn't think that it was right to take Walcott at 17, especially when he was never near to getting on the pitch. It was a place totally wasted.

Hughes at 18 is very likely going to be nowhere near the World Cup team. Hughes at 20 possibly has a chance of being involved at a full international level.

You was saying the England side was picked on common sense.

I have given you an example of where common sense was not applied and a young player picked based on potential.

As you are not England manager it does not matter whether you think it is right to take a player or not.

Sell Will Hughes? simple answer NO!! build the team around him instead

I agree with this but in reality it will be much harder to do this.

The guy is going to have aspirations of his own and being around Premier League players in the under 21 set up will turn his head sooner or later maybe?

I think we have to have a reality check. Hughes is very good and has huge potential, but he is only 18. He has a lot to learn still and any big club will not put him in the first team. They'll treat him as one for the future and he may get a few games now and again. That might not be the worst thing though. You don't want him to play too many games when young and that result in long term injury issues.

I imagine if he progresses like he is then he'll be gone in a season or so to a big team. I wouldn't blame him and I would want him to stay but how many good young players have we had and rated that then fell by the wayside. The worst was Barnes who we raved about and an injury put his carrier in reverse and he never fulfilled that potential. I hope Hughes avoids that.

Back on topic. I agree with the assessment on seeing where we are and what we need. I wouldn't want to sell him this season but if at the end of the season we look like there's a few roles to fill and that money can build a team then it might be the best option.

Can't remember which ex-spurs player said it this season but he said "we sold Elvis but bought the Beatles." I like that quote.

I'd like to think we will be about 4th by New Year's day. That would make Will more valuable, as it did for Zaha at Palace, as the buying team knows the owning team would regard the money from promotion as more vital than a fraction of it you'd get for Will Hughes.

I can see him seeing out the season if we are in contention in January.

Hopefully Sam and Steve, and the incoming Director of Football, are savvy enough to get the message out that no LATE bids will be accepted, and if anyone is going to bid, bid early so we have changed to re-invest the funds.

You was saying the England side was picked on common sense.

I have given you an example of where common sense was not applied and a young player picked based on potential.

As you are not England manager it does not matter whether you think it is right to take a player or not.

No I wasn't - when has common sense ever been an attribute of an England manager? Even Alf Ramsey (the only England manager ever to win anything) made a huge mistake even before the players got on the plane for the 1970 World Cup - a bigger mistake than not chaperoning players when they were shopping in Bogota, an even bigger mistake than taking Bobby Charlton off in the second half of the match against West Germany. His biggest error was that he didn't even pick Roy McFarland in the squad.

I was saying that the points that I was making were common sense - in fact, I would go as far as saying that they were so blooming obvious that they were hardly worth stating.

No I wasn't - when has common sense ever been an attribute of an England manager? Even Alf Ramsey (the only England manager ever to win anything) made a huge mistake even before the players got on the plane for the 1970 World Cup - a bigger mistake than not chaperoning players when they were shopping in Bogota, an even bigger mistake than taking Bobby Charlton off in the second half of the match against West Germany. His biggest error was that he didn't even pick Roy McFarland in the squad.

I was saying that the points that I was making were common sense - in fact, I would go as far as saying that they were so blooming obvious that they were hardly worth stating.

Well I didn't make you comment.

I don't really care if you disagree as I have already pointed out, along with an example, anybody is still in with a chance of making the world cup squad at this point in time.

If there's someone good enough to replace him from the academy, then fair enough, you have to see the bonus's of the cash that would bring.

But if not, then no. I know one man is not a team but he's such an important player for us if we want to compete in the prem.

I agree with the 'not sure how much is in the budget', comment. Bit worrying when last week SM & SR both said that the budget had been put on the table.

Surely the goalposts haven't been moved already?

Nowt can be done except watch and wait.

If Hughes can see that it is possible for us to be promoted either this season or next he will stay. Would he move to a bigger PL to not play for 2 seasons and then still only start 20+ games a season for a year or two more? The only issue I see is money. The owners and board need to offer fair wages and bonuses for performances, wins, goals, clean sheets and promotion.

Cash in on Hughes and a couple of other players and your back to square one. Add a couple of sensible editions (loans, free transfers) and spend a couple of million and you will get promotion. The financial reward for obtaining PL status is so much more than selling players. Teams that get promoted this season are guaranteed £120m over 5 seasons, just for being in the PL. 

Think it's a completely moot argument.

If he carries on like this, he will be sold whether we actually wanted to or if he wanted to go or not. Only way to stop that is promotion very soon, even then, that's not foolproof.

At the Reading game, the main stand was awash with talk that a fee of 8m had been agreed with Liverpool for Hughes to move there in January. Did anyone else on here hear this?

I, personally, refused to accept that it was true, on the basis that Liverpool would not want him to continue playing as regularly for the Rams as he had been, for fear of serious injury.

Now, if it does turn out to be true, maybe it will shed some light on the fallout between our former manager and the CEO.

Perhaps someone would like to ask our CEO to squash the talk/rumour at the earliest opportunity.

What about you Flagman. I know you speak regularly? Perhaps you could ask him.

Say he does get sold for £8m.

We sign a £2m player and two for £1.5m.

Say we get lucky and £20k per week (plus whatever Will is on) wages pays for the three of them. £1m per year, 3 year deals.

There's your money gone, your best player gone and hopefully you've brought in 3 good players, but at that money there's absolutely no guarantees.

Of course it depends on the individuals, but it looks a poor deal to me. If you keep him until he's out of contract and he gets you up, that £8m becomes cheap to turn down.

The basic question is:

Is our team better with Hughes or 4-5 players with the money Hughes brings in?

Now it's all massively hypothetical as we don't know who we would bring in etc for that money. But say we 'did a spurs' and purchased some real quality (relatively speaking) for that money. Would you prefer Elvis or The Beatles?

Archived