Would you want us to do a Spurs?

WilkoRam

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fair point about cashing in but:

1. Spurs sold a player for 80 million!

2. Who will buy Hughes for 10 million.

3. We don't need 6 new players to be a top 6 side.

4. Hughes is very important to the team with Hendrick and Coutts injured.

Also I'm sure this has been debated 1 million times before

Depends where we are come January I suppose.

If still in with a shout I would keep Hughes for a final push. If we got promoted we would then be looking at selling a Premier League player as opposed to a Championship player.

If we are not looking good for play offs/promotion then I would cash in so the manager knows what funds he has available for summer transfer window and can start planning.

Depends where we are come January I suppose.

If still in with a shout I would keep Hughes for a final push. If we got promoted we would then be looking at selling a Premier League player as opposed to a Championship player.

If we are not looking good for play offs/promotion then I would cash in so the manager knows what funds he has available for summer transfer window and can start planning.

Why would we sell Hughes if we get promotion.?

Apart from stupid bids from the top 4 or 5 in England, top 2 or 3 in Spain/Germany - say £10m-£15m - Steve should use all his experience to convince Will to stay here and keep playing regularly rather than risk being a bit part player at one of the big boys. Give the lad a decent pay rise, bonus for play offs and promotion......and tell him to keep learning, gaining valuable experience in a tough, physical league.

I think if we got promoted with Hughes then the big clubs would wait to see if he could cut it in the prem before bidding. If he were to play well in the prem it would increase his price.

I'd prefer to keep him, especially as it stands. We don't need all that cash as we don't need that many players and it's the risk of how wisely it would be spent.

I think he would want to test himself at a higher level than Derby especially with it being a World Cup year if he has been a regular at under 21 level

Hughes won't be near the England side when it comes to the next World Cup - but he'll probably be pushing for inclusion in the squad for the Euros, assuming that he is playing in the Premier League.

Yes but would get more exposure and give himself a chance of going on to bigger better things with a bigger club.

Why, if he was at a bigger club he would have LESS chance of a game maybe.

You are not saying that he is good enough to start at one of the top clubs are you.

If he stayed with us he would play most games ,if fit.

Sell him in January if we are out of the reckoning for promotion, or if the manager thinks it would benefit the team,

we are Derby, not a nursery

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11095/8961936/

Steve McClaren is aware that Derby County will be forced to sell Will Hughes at some stage, but is already planning long-term.

Premier League clubs continue to monitor Hughes' progress, with it expected that transfer talk will intensify as the January window draws closer.

It came as something of a surprise to see Hughes overlooked in the summer, with the 18-year-old having become one of the Championship's leading lights and an England U21 international.

McClaren, who has inherited the managerial reins at Pride Park from Nigel Clough, concedes that there will come a time when it becomes impossible to fend off the interest in Hughes, but he hopes that Derby will have another clutch of academy graduates ready to fill the void by then.

He said on Hughes, who netted in a 3-1 victory over Leeds United on Saturday: "Our job is to make sure he makes it.

"Eventually he will be too good. What we need behind that is players coming through to replace him."

While McClaren will look to continue nurturing young talent, he also hopes that funds will be made available by the board that allow Derby to mount a sustained push for promotion back to the Premier League.

He added: "I don't know my exact budget, but we need to excite the chairman and the fans.

"It is a great position financially and we don't want to disturb that. We need to improve the team and the squad if we want to challenge for a play-off place.

"But that's my job. I want to come to them with a good plan and hopefully they will back it.

"I picked a club and listened to chief executive Sam Rush and chairman Andrew Appleby who have said, 'Let's go for it'. They want to be in the Premier League, and that's what I want."

Archived