Player Ratings for today?

drgoodspeak

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Didn't notice anything drastically different although Russell took a few corners, which I don't think he's done before. Hughes seems to be playing more advanced as well, that started from 2nd half on Tuesday.

I don't normally do ratings, but here goes.

Grant 5 What on earth was he doing for the goal?? Seems to be some communication issues with the back 4.

Forsyth 6 Much better, but got into good positions in the first half where he should have picked out a Derby man but hit it straight to them.

Keogh 6 Not bad, Leeds didn't offer much threat though.

Whitbread 6 Same as Keogh but a couple of dodgy decisions early doors when he should have let the ball run for a GK he booted it out for a corner and a throw.

Smith 6 Same again, made no mistakes.

Eustace 8 Bossed the midfield, passing was excellent, got a bit tired in the second half.

Hughes 8 Brilliant goal, looked much more confident than last few weeks.

Bryson 8 Typical Bryson performance, top notch

Ward 5 Crap again

Russell 7 Rounded off a great move with a good finish, and his general play was very good. 

Martin 9 Hold up play was superb, only dived once, scored a simple goal but an amazing assist for Russell that.

Subs made no impact, Bennett was slightly disappointing.

Thought Wardy looked loads more into it today, thought a 7 myself, and I would have every defender a 7.... Not much wrong. Between Eustace and Russell for MOM for me

Didn't notice anything drastically different although Russell took a few corners, which I don't think he's done before. Hughes seems to be playing more advanced as well, that started from 2nd half on Tuesday.

I don't normally do ratings, but here goes.

Grant 5 What on earth was he doing for the goal?? Seems to be some communication issues with the back 4.

Forsyth 6 Much better, but got into good positions in the first half where he should have picked out a Derby man but hit it straight to them.

Keogh 6 Not bad, Leeds didn't offer much threat though.

Whitbread 6 Same as Keogh but a couple of dodgy decisions early doors when he should have let the ball run for a GK he booted it out for a corner and a throw.

Smith 6 Same again, made no mistakes.

Eustace 8 Bossed the midfield, passing was excellent, got a bit tired in the second half.

Hughes 8 Brilliant goal, looked much more confident than last few weeks.

Bryson 8 Typical Bryson performance, top notch

Ward 5 Crap again

Russell 7 Rounded off a great move with a good finish, and his general play was very good.

Martin 9 Hold up play was superb, only dived once, scored a simple goal but an amazing assist for Russell that.

Subs made no impact, Bennett was slightly disappointing.

i thought martin was motm today.

Main differences for me today were:

- more direct with the ball. Still neat passing but a desire to do this more to hurt the opposition than passing across the back four.

- defence higher up the field and closing them down more on the three quarter length part of the pitch. Saw Simmo and McClaren when he came down telling the players to push up

- even greater urgency to get the ball to our defenders earlier from goal kicks. Full backs had to have it and be confident with it.

- Russell taking set pieces to curl it in. Really pleased to see this. Hated floaty crosses!

- A manager and assistant prepared to stand on the touch line and issue instructions.

- crowd really believed in the team and got behind them

- good substitutions. None of this attacker off and defender on and defend for 45 minutes which is what would have happened under Clough.

I think that there was a lot different about today.

The whole pre match routine/warm up was different, not least that Simmo threw headers to the whole back four as a unit rather than just the two centre halves

Simmo was in charge for most of the game in terms of interaction with the players and SM was in the stand - different approach, different reaction. Eric Steele was on the bench. So, incidentally, was Gordon Guthrie. Nice that hasn't changed post NC

Forsyth especially, but Smith too, got forward much more and Forsyth particularly played in some good crosses

Hughes and Russell especially, looked more involved, more energetic and mobile

Keogh had probably his best game of the season

Bryson made even more runs forward than he normally does. And further.

There were different free kicks and corners, more imaginative than before. Different people taking them

The pressing in midfield and up front was more concentrated and led directly to Chris Martin's goal

We closed the game out very professionally. Nigel might have smiled to himself at the lack of booing when Jake came on with 5 minutes to go.

It was interesting to hear that the squad, minus the internationals, are about to have another pre season - my guess is more about formations, tactics and style rather than purely fitness - and it will be interesting to see how they come back in two weeks time

Excellent start to a new regime. Much to work on.

Grant 5

Forsyth 6

Keogh 6

Whitbread 6

Smith 6

Eustace 8

Ward 6

Hughes 8

Bryson 7

Russell 7

Martin 9

do you really think Eustace 8? I guess he did well, but don't you think when he's on the ball he gets quite lucky with rebounds when players tackle him that it goes his way. But soon I fear it may not and he will cost us

do you really think Eustace 8? I guess he did well, but don't you think when he's on the ball he gets quite lucky with rebounds when players tackle him that it goes his way. But soon I fear it may not and he will cost us

did you go to the match. I think eddies ratings are quite close.

Grant 6 - I'll let him off the five because of the two good saves he made. 
Forsyth 7 - I'm probably being generous with a seven, but it was his best game for us since his loan spell. 
Keogh 6 - Steady, just what he needs to be.
Whitbread 7 - Steady, but his dispersion is excellent. 
Smith 6 - Alright, decent offensively but I'd like him to stay closer to the touchline.

Eustace 8 - Quality, I laugh at the Watford fans who say he wouldn't have fitted in to their passing football last season. 
Ward 7 - I don't know whether it's intended but he always seems to cover the central midfielders when they make forward runs, a reasonable threat.
Hughes 8 - Tried to thread it through a number of times, looked tidy and showed immense quality in his goal.
Bryson 9 - Extremely tidy in possession, pressed well, very intelligent forward runs and two assists. Best he's ever been.
Russell 7 - Looked a threat, excellent finish, worked hard and helped Smith out well. 
Martin 8 - Great composure for his goal, his hold up play is brilliant though I wish he'd play it along the ground more, rather than trying to flick it up in the air. 

Bennett 6 - Looked like breaking through on goal a few times, never came off, defended well.

Sammon 6 - Worked hard, hard a dribble, kept it in the corner effectively. Did his job, would have got a seven ha he been on a bit longer.

Jake 1000000000000 - Jake Buxton always gets 1000000000000. 

Grant 6

Forsyth 6

Keogh 6

Whitbread 6

Smith 6

Eustace 7

Ward 7

Hughes 8

Bryson 8

Russell 7

Martin 7

I think eustace is getting a bit overrated

For me hughes and bryson were terrific

Bryson was popping up everywhere

Hughes makes us play....great goal to settle it.

Archived