5 days in.....

nfb

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Must admit in Nigel's tenure, I went from being a ST holder and attending quite a few away games to this season not even listening to games and only occasionally reading this forum. It got stale. I listened today and for the first time in about a year I had that feeling back. I kept on thinking if it'd been Nigel, we'd have tried to shut up shop completely after going 2-0 up, backs-to-the-wall for the entire second half, no sub until the 90th minute bringing on another defender and it all end in tears, or we'd have made it much harder than it need to be.

Must admit in Nigel's tenure, I went from being a ST holder and attending quite a few away games to this season not even listening to games and only occasionally reading this forum. It got stale. I listened today and for the first time in about a year I had that feeling back. I kept on thinking if it'd been Nigel, we'd have tried to shut up shop completely after going 2-0 up, backs-to-the-wall for the entire second half, no sub until the 90th minute bringing on another defender and it all end in tears, or we'd have made it much harder than it need to be.

second half tues. and most of today the atmosphere at PP has been brilliant.

second goal today and the place was buzzing.

also the players seemed to be in no hurry to get off the pitch too! 

first visit up from Gloucestershire this season, with bonus of taking a business client leeds fan along.

seems to me that there was an air of confidence in the crowd and with the players that comes with a premiership manager on the touchline who is looking up, rather than a decent but limited manager looking over his shoulder down the table. we looked quality going forward.

is Will Hughes the best kid we have produced since steve Bloomer??

Was great to see McClaren rally the crowd to get behind the team.

I hope he brings in another coach or two though, how many are on "gardening leave"? Think it's something like four and he's only brought in Simmo and Steele as replacements.

Was great to see McClaren rally the crowd to get behind the team.

I hope he brings in another coach or two though, how many are on "gardening leave"? Think it's something like four and he's only brought in Simmo and Steele as replacements.

He's got an international break now to take his time and make a few calls.

While sacking Nigel after Forest was awful timing and hurtful for Nigel it was actually good timing for entirely selfish reasons from Rush/Board

If Nigel had beaten Ipswich and Leeds (he probably would have imo) then he'd be taking us into November probably with a board that had lost faith in him. McClaren would have signed for QPR.

As it is he's having a couple of games to look properly at the team and they've got an international break now to get some backing sorted. Maybe even get a DoF in. Maybe talk about a loan or two.

It was a good time for Rush.

Awful for Nige

It'll be great for us if it pays off.

We'll see

He's got an international break now to take his time and make a few calls.

While sacking Nigel after Forest was awful timing and hurtful for Nigel it was actually good timing for entirely selfish reasons from Rush/Board

If Nigel had beaten Ipswich and Leeds (he probably would have imo) then he'd be taking us into November probably with a board that had lost faith in him. McClaren would have signed for QPR.

As it is he's having a couple of games to look properly at the team and they've got an international break now to get some backing sorted. Maybe even get a DoF in. Maybe talk about a loan or two.

It was a good time for Rush.

Awful for Nige

It'll be great for us if it pays off.

We'll see

I don't see how we would have won against both Ipswich and Leeds with Nigel as manager. Just can't see it at all.

first visit up from Gloucestershire this season, with bonus of taking a business client leeds fan along.

seems to me that there was an air of confidence in the crowd and with the players that comes with a premiership manager on the touchline who is looking up, rather than a decent but limited manager looking over his shoulder down the table. we looked quality going forward.

is Will Hughes the best kid we have produced since Steve Bloomer??

Think you should give Tutbury Hawthorn some credit in the making of Steve Bloomer...

A good appointment, and hopefully the kind of stability and faith this board has shown in the past will be enough to see the best out of McClaren. It is sad to see Nigel leave, and I'm still sure he would have gotten the job done eventually, but ultimately the board clearly felt it was time for a change, and honestly, there had been a growing sense of discontent at the rate of progress, rightly or wrong. Ultimately the board have played their best card though, and no longer have that cover any more. If this appointment goes sour, and we end up going through a string of managers, the last 5 years were for absolutely nothing, and the confidence and image of stability that they have built will be gone. I do hope that even if this season doesn't go well that we stick by McClaren, if they have been brave enough to make the change they need to be brave enough to stick by it.

It's been a positive start, but ultimately we have to be cautious and keep in mind that we will have periods of poor form this season, even if it goes entirely to plan. Hopefully it pays off the board, and this positivity gets the desired result for the board.

I don't see how we would have won against both Ipswich and Leeds with Nigel as manager. Just can't see it at all.

We will never know - therefore anyone maintaining that we would or we wouldn't is just wasting their time.

Don't you think mate?

Derby would never have started so sloppy v Ipswich but they wouldn't have finished so convincingly v Leeds either I don't think. I would have predicted two tight victories. The Ipswich one because he would have needed a result at home off the back of Forest.

But meh, whatever. McClaren seems to have given us some ********.

We will never know - therefore anyone maintaining that we would or we wouldn't is just wasting their time.

Yeah you're right.

Just trying to point out the worse situation for Rush. He surely couldn't risk Nigel beating Ipswich and Leeds when he'd made up his mind after Forest. Then he'd be heading into November with a manager he didn't want due to letting sentiment rule his decisions.

Anyway, 5 days in and while I feel sorry for Nigel I think everyone is feeling more excitement than they imagined they would be. Better get on with enjoying it. Never know how long it'll last! Trust us to have some excitement at Derby and still be dwelling on something sad!

Yeah you're right.

Just trying to point out the worse situation for Rush. He surely couldn't risk Nigel beating Ipswich and Leeds when he'd made up his mind after Forest. Then he'd be heading into November with a manager he didn't want due to letting sentiment rule his decisions.

Anyway, 5 days in and while I feel sorry for Nigel I think everyone is feeling more excitement than they imagined they would be. Better get on with enjoying it. Never know how long it'll last! Trust us to have some excitement at Derby and still be dwelling on something sad!

One day later, and McClaren may have no longer been available.

I have to say i'm feeling the optimism as well. I was a big fan of club and I do think he did a really good job with what he had.

He definitely had his limitations though and did so many frustrating things. I think its been blatantly obvious we've had a really unbalanced side with the formation we've played at home and we've lacked the width to create chances. It seemed to me that last season the vast majority of our goals at home were created from wide positions and all of a sudden we were playing a narrow formation.

My biggest problem with Clough was his reluctance to change things. He had 11 players he wanted to play and they would play regardless of anything else.

It definitely feels like with the change we have taken a big step forward.

Archived