Who of the 22 squad will McLaren get rid of asap ?

sausagemeat

There's no point releasing any of the squad players at the moment because it will be loan only and we haven't got a big enough squad. But it seems to me that there are a couple of players (Keogh and Ward) who have been automatic selections that would maybe benefit from a bit of competition.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sure I buy this "Ward can't be bothered sometimes" malarkey. I think he's just trying to keep himself fit.

He was absolutely awful on Tuesday. Just awful. But I gave him a standing ovation when he went off because in the first half he was the only player brave enough to want the ball all the time, and he took the most responsibility. His problem was trying too hard for it.

I don't think his hamstrings will ever let him be the player he could be. I reckon he'll be off and SM will be after a more consistent replacement.

Don't get most of this to be honest - Me, personally would look to moving out the poorer players. 

Most of you want our better players gone? it's mental.

I don't think there is a huge rush to get anyone out of our squad, I am comfortable with the majority - just because someone hasn't 'justified their fee' doesn't mean we should cart them out.

Out of those mentioned:

Keogh has been below par this season, but he was decent last year - I'm not his biggest fan, but, I appreciate he is competent at this level.

Forsyth, I am worried about I have him down for 7 below par games in 13 matches. That's pretty poor.

Coutts, I will never understand the criticism - started the season reasonably well, was instrumental in our win against Brighton for instance.

Russell, has shown his quality - has scored 4 goals in 10 games, and set one up. I mean, really? when did just under 1 goal every 2 games become not good enough? 

Sammon, I will never understand the critcism either - okay he never lived upto his fee but he always leaves a mark on the pitch, a good player, severely under-rated. 2 goals and 1 assists in 4 starts this season. 

Buxton, again - our best defender by a country mile this season. Our second best player of this season so far - just because he was brought up with Nigel doesn't mean nothing. He is a good championship centre back, who has been carrying 3 players along side him for much of this season. 

under-performers this season are players I expected to be up there in terms of ratings, but aren't! 

Smith I expected better of, Forsyth I thought could/should have been much better, Keogh has started this season in a disgusting manner, Ward has been very under-whelming and looks a shadow of his former self and lastly Hughes, who has simply not been good enough on the whole. Played good in patches, and the second half performance at Millwall was probably the best of the season so far, but, I don't know - at the minute he looks more like the next paul thirlwell than the next paul schloes! 

I guess we'll have to wait and see, but in terms of players going out - I am not to fussed, if players are phased out that is another matter all together. But, I don't really have any major issues with any of the players in terms of quality - perhaps maybe Forsyth, and if he gets to 20 games this season still averaging around the low 5s then we'll have to bring someone in IMO. 

No idea who will stay/leave.

I think January will hold some surprises one way or another.

By the sounds of it from his interviews this week, McClaren wants to bring in some overseas talent. He mentioned "exciting players for peanuts" a'la Wanchope, Stimac, Ace, Eranio.

The only problem is those players in today's market would cost millions.

I can see Deeney, Bailey and possibly Buxton leaving in the window. That should free up about 4k in wages :/ I can see Sammon leaving tbh.

A bit more than £4k, one of the players on that list is on £6k a week!

I doubt very much that it's Bucko.

SM has said he wants some heros. Well then, work your magic in defence and you'll have one right there.

He's already a hero to most of us, he just needs some fine tuning.

I rate him higher than Keogh anyway.

I would start by getting rid of Russell, Sammon & Keogh...I think these three signings probably destroyed the boards faith in Nigel's transfer judgement quite a bit...

I highly doubt Russell will go. To me he looks a bit like a 'one good game in every six' type player, but it's early days and he needs to be given more of a chance. I'm still not sure if he's up to the required level of fitness for the Champ yet.

I highly doubt Russell will go. To me he looks a bit like a 'one good game in every six' type player, but it's early days and he needs to be given more of a chance. I'm still not sure if he's up to the required level of fitness for the Champ yet.

I don't think it's anything like that, it's more to do with the service he's getting.  He looks good when teams come at us and he's got room to run at them, hence why he's scoring goals away from home.  At home, when teams are sitting back and defending, he's not getting the space to run at them so he's struggling.  And that's obviously distorting peoples opinions of him because most fans are only seeing his home performances (all against a bunch of very good teams at this level too).

He's getting fitter and sharper every game and he's not going to be playing against strong, well organised defences every game.

I don't think it's anything like that, it's more to do with the service he's getting.  He looks good when teams come at us and he's got room to run at them, hence why he's scoring goals away from home.  At home, when teams are sitting back and defending, he's not getting the space to run at them so he's struggling.  And that's obviously distorting peoples opinions of him because most fans are only seeing his home performances (all against a bunch of very good teams at this level too).

He's getting fitter and sharper every game and he's not going to be playing against strong, well organised defences every game.

Yeah, that's a fair point.  The teams we've played at home have been of a higher standard than the ones away so far, so that's going to have a lot to do with it.  I think he's probably still taking time to settle in a bit - the Champ is a step up from the SPL I reckon. It shouldn't be, but it is.

Out of interest, is it only home games you've seen this season?

I tend to think that is half the battle in terms of Russell - been our best player away from home.

Out of interest, is it only home games you've seen this season?

I tend to think that is half the battle in terms of Russell - been our best player away from home.

Yeah, it is only home games.  I obviously watched the Forest game though. From what I gather he's been better away. I suppose what's clouding my judgement is the sheer hype when we signed him (well, on twitter anyway!)

Yeah, it is only home games.  I obviously watched the Forest game though. From what I gather he's been better away. I suppose what's clouding my judgement is the sheer hype when we signed him (well, on twitter anyway!)

He was poor against Brighton, MOTM against Yeovil, very good at Millwall, very good at Bolton.

He has been poor in all home games so far though IMO - that's why I'm guessing the judgement is cast.

I've seen Russell mostly away and the Burnley game - where he got into the right positions but snatched his chances.

I think he's got the ability to be a very good player at this level, his movement is excellent, he links up play well and is a good finished for the most part.

I think he's only going to get better given more game time and the right service - perhaps a bit of sports psychology with McClaren's team to help him feel less pressure at home?

Archived