Will Hughes January transfer window 2013 rumours

ChaddesdenRam

If do get money there are 3 things that would kill me:

1) Buying lots of cheap scottish players

2) Spending 2 million on a Foreign unproven player

3) Obviously the board just take all the money and don't give us any.

A sale could really really be our ticket out of here and back to the big time.

• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Depends who you buy.. If you're buying a PL drop out perhaps alot.. If you're buying a PL reserve/youth player or lower league then nothing that you would say is unaffordable..

If spent correctly, these players could command a higher fee in the next couple of years..

Wages shouldn't be a problem at all unless you're going for either experience or a well known NPC player.. If it were me there wouldn't be a single other NPC player that I'd be after..

But we know that wages are a problem though,Bris.Heavens,we're even told that we have to trim further,hence the wages would have to come out of the fee,leaving a lot less for incoming fees.How much in total to replace Hughes alone? Seems to me like you're wanting Clough to take a gamble on the 3 players.

For me our best bet appears to be in keeping Hughes and hoping that other quality comes through-no wages problems there.The only problem being that we'd have to get up quickly otherwise they'd be off.

If it meant Hughes going, and us signing a John Brayford equivelent left back (£750K), a good replacement midfielder (£1 million), and a quality striker (£2 million) I would be happy with that, we've strengthened the team and makes us a better outfit. As Bris says, however much we love Hughes, he won't single-handedly get us promoted, if he was he'd have the £20 million price tag on him, not the reported £10 million.

If Clough gets half the Hughes money, and is allowed to bring in replacement players, by getting rid of a few no longer playing a part, Doyle, Davies, Tyson, Bailey would accumulatively be on £15,000+, this could be used for a good striker (£10,000) and a centre mid (£5,000) and you've replaced Hughes, added a striker, and still been left with £7 million profit! Thats without any fees we get for the players we could sell!

Hmm,replace Hughes with a CM on £5k.

Hmm,replace Hughes with a CM on £5k.

I wouldn't say any of our starting midfielders are anymore than that. Obviously we couldn't replace Hughes for a like for like replacement because that would cost millions, and is probably already playing for a premiership team, however another player of Bryson's quality wouldn't go a miss, maybe someone with less energy but more creativity.

But we know that wages are a problem though,Bris.Heavens,we're even told that we have to trim further,hence the wages would have to come out of the fee,leaving a lot less for incoming fees.How much in total to replace Hughes alone? Seems to me like you're wanting Clough to take a gamble on the 3 players.

For me our best bet appears to be in keeping Hughes and hoping that other quality comes through-no wages problems there.The only problem being that we'd have to get up quickly otherwise they'd be off.

For me the wages can be cut further.. We have a CB for example that's currently offering us nothing that's on really high wages.. Who are our top earners? I'd be gutted if Sammon was at the higher end as I don't think he's value for money (the price tag plus possible top wages)..

There are others around.. I can garauntee there are better defenders out there than barks earning less.. As there are better strikers than Tyson and Sammon earning less..

Like I mentioned, if you're buying fellow NPC players that were in or around the first team like Eustace, or if you're buying PL dropouts like Murphy, Greening, Derbyshire, Miller then they're going to command a high wage..

But there are players available in the lower leagues, the PL youth set up and others out of favour that wouldn't be on too high a wage that's going to do damage financially to DCFC.. You only have to look at Hulls players like Hobbs, Chester, Amos, Evans, Simpson, Fryatt, Aluko etc.. to fall into this sort of category..

You'd know better than all of us but do you have any rough idea of how much David Jones was on whilst he was here? He also falls into the category of a promising youth player from a top club..

True in fairness

When signing a player wages come as part of the overall package.

A player at Derby averages shall we say £5,000 a week.

250,000 a year.

So on a 3 year deal thats 750k just for wages.

Trouble is,at our average,Clough has already said that we've a bunch of good,honest players,but are short of that bit of quality (said pre Hughes emergence).

For me the wages can be cut further.. We have a CB for example that's currently offering us nothing that's on really high wages.. Who are our top earners? I'd be gutted if Sammon was at the higher end as I don't think he's value for money (the price tag plus possible top wages)..

There are others around.. I can garauntee there are better defenders out there than barks earning less.. As there are better strikers than Tyson and Sammon earning less..

Like I mentioned, if you're buying fellow NPC players that were in or around the first team like Eustace, or if you're buying PL dropouts like Murphy, Greening, Derbyshire, Miller then they're going to command a high wage..

But there are players available in the lower leagues, the PL youth set up and others out of favour that wouldn't be on too high a wage that's going to do damage financially to DCFC.. You only have to look at Hulls players like Hobbs, Chester, Amos, Evans, Simpson, Fryatt, Aluko etc.. to fall into this sort of category..

You'd know better than all of us but do you have any rough idea of how much David Jones was on whilst he was here? He also falls into the category of a promising youth player from a top club..

I'll certainly have a look at Hull's wages now at next available opportunity.Accounts give absolutely no indication of individual earnings (apart from highest paid director) re Jones.

I'm far from convinced by all of this.I could see us losing a player of real quality for more mundane quantity if it went wrong.

It's a win win situation as far as I'm concerned. We either sell him for a truck load or keep our best player. We dont have to sell him now, only sell at a stupid price. Because he WILL go for a stupid price.

Holding out against crap bids is a matter of will power.

What if we sell him for £6m and repay a large proportion of the internal loan and still hear that we are over the wage budget?

Out of interest,Hull's total wages came in at £21m+ for 10/11 -admittedly they will have come down since.However,they still receive 'chute payments and so could attract the better players of the type you suggest.It's alright specifying these players,but we simply don't know what they earn at Hull.I doubt we'd be able to afford Fryatt,wages wise,for instance.

I'll certainly have a look at Hull's wages now at next available opportunity.Accounts give absolutely no indication of individual earnings (apart from highest paid director) re Jones.

I'm far from convinced by all of this.I could see us losing a player of real quality for more mundane quantity if it went wrong.

Of course there is a risk to all of this..

I'm pretty much counting on NC to make the right signings.. A worse case scenario is NC going all PJ on us and using the money to sign 3 players to the equivalent of Nathan Ellington, Paul Connolly and Robbie Savage

To be fair i trust Clough in the transfer window he has never paid over the odds for absolute dog poo. And has made many decent gem signings that no one honestly had heard before. Coutts, Brayford, Robinson.

However we could talk for hours on Clough's transfer judgement but its 10 times that of Paul Jewel.

Every time i hear Claude Davis' name i laugh. 3 million thats criminal.

To be fair i trust Clough in the transfer window he has never paid over the odds for absolute dog poo. And has made many decent gem signings that no one honestly had heard before. Coutts, Brayford, Robinson.

However we could talk for hours on Clough's transfer judgement but its 10 times that of Paul Jewel.

We all have our opinions on his..

In hindsight I feel he's paid over the odds on Sammon, Barker, Maguire and Porter..

But that's just my opinion

Of course there is a risk to all of this..

I'm pretty much counting on NC to make the right signings.. A worse case scenario is NC going all PJ on us and using the money to sign 3 players to the equivalent of Nathan Ellington, Paul Connolly and Robbie Savage

Expecting someone to get 3/3 right seems a bit demanding to me.

You do know that 50p head wasn't a Jewell signing don't you? That was a present from the wee Scottish fella.

Archived