So, we're looking to employ new staff....

Day

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Agree GR, all they need to do is have a shower, do their hair, put a pair of trousers and a shirt on, f*cking smile and walk into a pub and say "Hello can I speak to the manager please...." and go from there!

The job programmes an tele get on my wick. I thought of a better one, why not each week pick a different town or city and give 5 (normal) people three hours to find a job. I bet every single one of them could.

That's an amazing idea, I used to agree with the "DEY TUK OUR JORRRBSSSS" crowd until I watched a BBC documentary "The Day the Immigrants Left".

What they did was actually give jobs to people on the dole that were usually done by immigrants. If they did well for the week, they got to keep the job. I think 1 person actually got kept on, 1 other never even turned up and the rest were so lazy and useless it was unreal.

On your point about the Polish - they get hired over here because "we" think we are entitled to everything for nothing. In my opinion that is due to the political correctness wrapped in cotton wool state we now live in.

Some people getting all high and mighty on this thread.

It definitely isn't as easy as some of you have made out. I was passionate in my search and went to many interviews but really struggled to get a job due to the sheer volume of applicants.

It is only through luck i got the job i have now and to be honest, it isn't where i want to be.

If it was as easy as walking into a company and asking if there are any jobs available, we would all be in a job we love.

Some people getting all high and mighty on this thread.

It definitely isn't as easy as some of you have made out. I was passionate in my search and went to many interviews but really struggled to get a job due to the sheer volume of applicants.

It is only through luck i got the job i have now and to be honest, it isn't where i want to be.

If it was as easy as walking into a company and asking if there are any jobs available, we would all be in a job we love.

Your job wasn't through luck - you make your own luck in life.

Sorry mate I didn't mean to sound a stuck up *****, I got all my first jobs through family members. I know it's hard but I was talking more about lower paid jobs rather than careers.

Pubs are constantly wanting bar staff because a lot of people can't hack it. All it takes is to tell the landlord you'll do a Friday or Saturday night for fook all and if you're any good they end up giving you more hours until the lazy staff leave! Then you're sorted.

My cousin did it just before Christmas, never worked a day in his life, dropped out off college the lot, his mam and dad had enough of paying out so told him to find something or to sod off. Six pubs wanted him and he chose which one.

Also.... forms, CV's, interviews are a load of rubbish, if I was an employer (like our Daveo) I'd only take on someone I liked.

Evening all, I wanted to ask for a little bit of advice. Thought this was as good a place as any but feel free to move this post elsewhere.
I've had several jobs in the past but I've never had to interview for them for various reasons. In the next week I have two interviews lined up and was wondering if anyone had any top tips to hand out.
The first one is just for a bar position, not too worried about that as I've got some experience and I reckon it'll be fairly informal. However the second is for a full-time role in the office of a large charity, so will be a more formal thing. Again I have relevant experience but I just feel really anxious about the interview at the moment.
Any pointers at all and I'd be really grateful, from things I should ask to ways to keep calm. Ta.

Evening all, I wanted to ask for a little bit of advice. Thought this was as good a place as any but feel free to move this post elsewhere.

I've had several jobs in the past but I've never had to interview for them for various reasons. In the next week I have two interviews lined up and was wondering if anyone had any top tips to hand out.

The first one is just for a bar position, not too worried about that as I've got some experience and I reckon it'll be fairly informal. However the second is for a full-time role in the office of a large charity, so will be a more formal thing. Again I have relevant experience but I just feel really anxious about the interview at the moment.

Any pointers at all and I'd be really grateful, from things I should ask to ways to keep calm. Ta.

I work in recruitment, senior stuff really but the basics are the same although I am not sure if I could help on a bar job. If you want I can give you a call and go through basic prep (would take too long to type) just pm me a number (landline unless you want to pay a fortune) and a time to call, early morning your time as am 7 hours ahead.

Can only really do tomorrow though.

Be confident but not cocky. Do your research on the charity, what they do, what kind of person they employ. It would help to say why the cause interests you. Go prepared with practical examples of things you've done that are specific to the job description. Be friendly and ask them what they like about working there.

Ultimately they'll want to know that you can do the job, have some empathy for the cause and will.fit into the team.

Good luck

Being nervous or anxious is not the issue, the interviewer will expect that, and it in some ways shows you are keen on the role.

A few things I would say 1) Make regular eye contact when answering questions 2) Prepare yourself for questions like "give an example of a time where you had success in...." that could possibly be related to the job. Don't worry about how big the success is. This is to determine how much you understand doing the job properly and the value of progress/continuous improvement. 3) ALWAYS let the interview finish talking before you answer, if the interviewer is writing your answers down, use this time to pause and speak more slowly and controlled and pick your words. 4) Do not be scared to mention your strengths, it may feel like you're being arrogant, but if you believe that you rarely make mistakes for example, then say it. 5) Do not be scared to mention your weaknesses. Especially if you're young. A bit of humility and acknowledgement goes a long way. For example, if you say "I'm still young and am used to 'answering back' because I'm used to being in a different environment, so I am working hard and making improvements in listening to people and I think as a result I am maturing as a person". 6) NEVER dress casually. Always be smart, regardless of the job. An old saying "you only have one chance to make a first impression. So don't turn up dressed like a chav, with a can of stella under the chair (See my story above!!). and finally 7) Give the impression you want THIS job, not just any job. If the employer thinks you're only after a wage until something better comes up, you won't get the job.

Either way, good luck with both interviews.

Heard on the radio today some toffee nosed student saying that he has deliberately turned down job offers working for supermarkets as he deems that he didnt go to Uni to waste that time and expense whilst studying for his degree... only shame was I forgot his name as was intending to shop him to the DHSS.....the bigger querstion was why are there so many young people unemployed and the one of the answers was a proportion of them are refusing to work in menial or low paid jobs...I had 4 temps working for me last week, 2 of them left site on first day as said didnt not like work, it was sweeping up and cleaning, am still gobsmacked..... 

Do some homework on them and study the job spec.

Run through your answers to some of the faq - like

Can you tell us what you know about our charity,

Where do you see yourself in 5 years time,

What do you think you can offer the company..

Practice and get familiar with your answers, go somewhere quiet and say them out loud, changing the tempo and pitch so it doesn't sound rehearsed.

First thing to do when you meet your interviewer, as Mo55y said, make eye contact, stick your hand out and offer a good, firm handshake.

Don't waffle on about you, be concise and to the point. Go in depth about the job if you want tho, knowledge is good but stick to the aspect they asked you about.

Have a qt ready. If you have one or two prepared and they cover it during the interview I'd reply with"I've glad you've mentioned that, because I was going to ask if....". That way they'll know you had something you wanted to know.

Smile throughout - and it might sound daft but remember to breathe deeply. It is possible to do without anybody hearing.

As your standing up, thank them very much for their time and say you hope to hear from them soon. As you're speaking, offer another handshake and smile again.

Best of luck.

Heard on the radio today some toffee nosed student saying that he has deliberately turned down job offers working for supermarkets as he deems that he didnt go to Uni to waste that time and expense whilst studying for his degree... only shame was I forgot his name as was intending to shop him to the DHSS.....the bigger querstion was why are there so many young people unemployed and the one of the answers was a proportion of them are refusing to work in menial or low paid jobs...I had 4 temps working for me last week, 2 of them left site on first day as said didnt not like work, it was sweeping up and cleaning, am still gobsmacked.....

I love cleaning and take a lot of pride in it. I'll do it for you... for a price..hehehe

Top tips:-

1. Research the job and the company, ask for job description if not already been sent one, find about background info. about the organisation - nothing worse than being asked what do you know about the company and coming up with a big blank - lots of companies like to have their egos massaged or believe they are number 1

2. Be relaxed, interview is a 2 way process as much as for you to find out whether you could fit into their organisation and feel comfortable.

3. Be yourself - if you're not then you will have issues later on if pretending to be something you're not.

4. Dont lie - you will get found out and more than likely bounced during your probation period.

5. Never mention money unless specifically asked - you can negotiate this later IF you are successful

6. Have a couple of questions ready for end of interview to show youre interested

A lot of companies now use the en vogue competency based interview as a standard format so it may well be useful to have some answers ready - tell me about a time you worked in a team to meet a successful deadline, tell me about a time when you had to go back to the drawing board etc. always be precise in setting out the issue, who was involved, your part in the solution and the outcome. You can get hints for these looking at job spec. e.g must be good teamworker can prepare some answers.

Good luck

Archived