English Football’s Biggest Clubs : REVEALED!

FuriousFox46

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Notice you called yourself a 'yo-yo club'. 

You realise yo-yo's go UP as well as down?

Only Birmingham have been promoted and relegated between the top two divisions more than us :)

We've also spent one year in the third tier when we won the league. You've spent four.

Not a bad idea, and based on the results I would say it's probably a pretty accurate measurement against how I rate clubs.

Don't like the idea of additional points for being in Europe because surely that is double counting as the team will already have received more points for finishing higher in the league?

You don't say what points are awarded for fanbase either? Also is absolute numbers used or % of capacity filled? If absolute numbers used then this is going to include bias because the clubs with better success rates are more likely to have higher attendances anyway.

Quite interesting to look at - shows how close the 3 East Midland teams are, and how low Man City are in terms of historic success. 

One way I could think of to improve the data would be to take an idea from FIFA and the World Rankings. Old successes count for less compared to more modern success. Say anything pre-war is only counted for 25%, then only the last 25 years are worth 100%. 

Depends what you use for the term 'big'

Historic is one thing, big is another for me..

A big team is one that is known worldwide, one that is being paid the most for sponsors, one that sells the most shirts, one that pays the most for the better players..

The thing is, in the PL, it's a simple divide.. You have 7 solid clubs in Chelsea, Man Utd, Liverpool, Arsenal, City, Everton and Spurs.. Then you have everyone else.. All of the players from all the other clubs would leave their clubs to join one of these 7.. That's what makes them big IMO

What can Leicester City achieve that Fulham can't? Absolutely nothing.. Therefore they won't ever be bigger than Fulham or vice versa, and the only difference between the two clubs is the current league position..

Derby County can be looked at as historic.. But those that think we are a big club are living in cloud cuckoo land.. There are only 7 big clubs in England, the rest are simply ticking bombs who might be enjoying a fantastic spell right now in their history (Swansea, Fulham) but in reality they're only a bad season away from going down and becoming just like the rest of us NPC clubs..

That list is similar to the one I imagine in my head.

Except in my head I consider Crawley a big small club. Probably because I dislike them massively and who'd admit to hating an insignificant club.

Everyone wants their own rivalry to be the biggest.

That list is similar to the one I imagine in my head.

Except in my head I consider Crawley a big small club. Probably because I dislike them massively and who'd admit to hating an insignificant club.

Everyone wants their own rivalry to be the biggest.

Just call them Gatwick Airport like a lot of lower league fans do.

Oh quelle surprise - Leicester City fans allocate points based on "nearlies" & "just being in the top division" - which would only serve to boost your total based on all them FA Cup finals you lost & the number of years you've been sat in either division doing nowt.

Try re-scoring allocating more than 10 points for a title win (how can it be worth just over twice as many points as a season finishing bottom?!) & additional points for finishing in the top 5/6 in the top division, instead of just being in the top division hanging around.

I'm confident you'll find the difference between us will extend considerably.

Archived