2 targets from Premier League clubs.

Nijul_cluff

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think Leon Barnett ticks all the boxes.

A Norwich fan told me he wins everything in the air, we struggled last season with crosses/set pieces.

He's been promoted to the premier league with West Brom, Norwich and Cardiff. Cardiff recently too so he should know all about the division still.

The transfer fee required wont be huge as Chris Hughton has said he is not part of their plans.

Wages, who knows, he could still be on a championship wage from Norwich's promotion or he could have signed a deal on big money.

A loan could still be a possibility if Norwich are very keen on getting him off the wage bill, obviously they would prefer a transfer fee for him right now but we might only want him on loan, so this will be the sort of thing they would be negotiating.

As for the right back. I can't tell if Clough is going to get a RB on loan for the season from a prem club or buy one. I think it depends on the CB purchase first.

Even if we loaned Barnett, his contract runs out next year. So we'd probably get him permanently at the end of it anyway.

Historical jokes?! Wasted on this lot surely?

True. I should have mentioned that he was Scottish, then we could have played on inherent racism to look for a punchline.

I would be over the moon with Smith on a permanent and very happy on a loan.

Got rave reviews for Millwall last season, their fans rated him very highly, and obviously did something right to get in the u/21.

I honestly thought he would be out of our reach, but, I'll cross my fingers!

And if the centre back is Craig Dawson.. And we get both I will run the streets naked, streets available on request..

TOTTENHAM technical co-ordinator Tim Sherwood believes Millwall have a player of Premier League quality on their hands in new signing Adam Smith.

Smith has joined the Lions on a three-month loan and will go straight into the side to face Nottingham Forest at the City Ground on Saturday.

The 21-year-old becomes the eighth Spurs youngster to move to The Den since 2005, following in the footsteps of Andros Townsend and Harry Kane, and Sherwood has revealed Tottenham's faith in manager Kenny Jackett.

"Kenny has been very good with our players in the past and we trust him to do right by them," he told NewsAtDen.

"You can't always say that about other managers and that's why we continue to loan our players to Millwall. They get treated well and it's good atmosphere to play in.

"The crowd are a little bit lively and that's good, because it adds to the pressure of performing on a live stage. Sometimes these boys miss out on that."

While Jackett has already hinted that he will assess whether to pursue a permanent deal for Smith in the January transfer window, Sherwood confirmed that the England U21 international has a long-term future at White Hart Lane.

"We've got high hopes for him," he admitted. "Adam is not someone we're looking to get rid of.

"At this stage he just needs to go out and get some games. He could play in the Premier League. It just takes longer for these boys to get their opportunity but he's got a great chance of making his way at Spurs.

"Kyle Walker and Kyle Naughton are both England internationals and Adam is already playing for the U21s. He wouldn't be playing at that level on a regular basis if he wasn't Premier League standard.

"At this moment in time, we think he could be the future for Tottenham and we want him to continue to learn. He's a great lad, has a good attitude and he'll knuckle down."

While Smith has been brought in to provide defensive cover with Alan Dunne suspended and Jack Smith injured, Sherwood says the right-back is equally adept when going forward.

"He's an all-round full-back," he said. "He has that sense of knowing when to go forward. He's got great delivery.

"In terms of the quality of his crossing, he's up there with the other right-backs we have got at the club. He has real ability in the final third. He's a very good acquisition for Millwall."

Taken from when he joined Millwall last season

http://www.newsatden.co.uk/8012-sherwood-smith-could-be-first-choice-at-spurs-in-future.html

Transfer News: Tottenham youngster Adam Smith has warned Spurs that he is not prepared to be loaned out to a club outside the Premier League.

The full back, who spent last season on loan at Millwall, believes that he has done his apprenticeships in the lower divisions.

The news will come as a blow to QPR, who are reportedly interested in bringing the defender to Loftus Road.

“I have just turned 22,” Smith told talkSPORT. “I felt like I’ve done all my experience.

“I’ve learnt my trade. This season, I have to play in the Premier League, whether by doing well in pre-season or get a Premier League loan.”

Smith was part of the England Under-21 side that lost all three games at the European Championships in Israel and he called on Premier League sides to give young English players a chance.

“I think the Premier League clubs are buying all these foreigners and not giving young English players a chance,” he added.

“I’ve been on loan a few times and most of the other lads have been on loan. “Just give them a chance. If you look at the Spanish team, some of them have even played in the senior team.

“I agree we need to give young players more of a chance.”

http://www.london24.com/sport/qpr_2_5433/spurs_youngster_issues_ultimatum_to_tottenham_and_rules_out_qpr_move_1_2237463

If it comes down to it we might be one of his only options, doubt there's any interest from PL sides (Cardiff signing Brayford and other lower teams being more interested in spunking millions over Charlie Austin and other overrated NPC strikers), so you'd have to admit we'd be one of the more attractive NPC sides. If he's got his head screwed on he'll recognize we'd probably be better for him than QPR, who'd play him for a year and then buy a new RB when they go back up.

Archived