2 targets from Premier League clubs.

Nijul_cluff

DERBY County are talking to Premier League clubs as they look to add two defenders to their squad – a right-back and a centre-back.They will be either loans or permanent deals, depending on the view of the other clubs.The Rams are in the market to bolster their defensive options following John Brayford’s departure to Cardiff City for a deal worth in the region of £2m.

Brayfords exit comes with a little over a week to go before the opening Championship fixture of the season against Blackburn Rovers.The timing is far from ideal but manager Nigel Clough said: “It doesn’t cause us a major problem, other than we lose a good player.“We have got Kieron Freeman. He will play against West Bromwich Albion today and we will see how he goes.“But we have already made a few calls to bring in a defender to challenge for that position, either to play or as cover.“The deal (for John Brayford) also enables us to get another defender in on top of that, a centre-back.“So we are looking at getting two loans in, or permanent signings, and they are from Premier League clubs.”Brayford offered cover at centre-back as well as being Derby’s first-choice right-back.The option to play Brayford at the heart of the back four was an important one, given both Shaun Barker and Mark O’Brien are sidelined following knee surgery.Freeman made 20 appearances for the first team last season, 10 of them starts, and the 21-year-old has a chance to stake a claim today.“There are no guarantees we will get somebody in before the Blackburn Rovers match and so it might be Kieron who starts,” said Clough.“We have no question marks over his ability.”

http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/story-19576371-detail/story.html?9690748776&redirected=true

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very interesting that we're looking at players from the Premier League. It would suggest that there's a bit of cash floating about (and by that I mean within the wage budget as apposed to the money received for JB).

Presumably this could be the first permanent signing from a Premier League club during Nigel's stint here?

Martin Kelly on loan was touted around somewhere before.

Yes, I realise that, and what I am saying is we shouldn't be thinking about loans.

I think Derby have generally had bad experiences of loans because they have generally been panic, short term additions added to a poor side.  If added in a way to complement a team by a manager who can spot a player there is no reason why we shouldn't always have one or two players on long term loan.

At Championship level a loan would potentially be a promising Premier League player with something to prove, if they improve the team albeit for a season then I would be for it.

Barnsley have just signed John Cofie who 'used to' play for Man U - but never featured in the first team. Sometimes I think the phrase Premier League signing should be used a bit more loosely.

No offence to Cofie but he could be rubbish, so it'll be interesting to hear who we have our eyes on. It'd be good to see more permanent signings though, if their club agreees.

It's good knowing that now we've got a bit of money in the pot, we might be able to nab one or two really decent players.

I've not really watched much of this Flanagan, is he an attacking RB or more defensive?

20 years old and a whopping 17 games to his name, even less experienced than Freeman. Thought highly of at Liverpool tho and our chances of signing him on a permanent would be slim.

Flanagan wouldn't even get a twitch in my underpants nor would any young Prem player being sent out to get a few games.

Why waste the money on loans when £2m is 2 Shaun Barker fees, permanents only please and if it has to be a short term loan till January then not one of these pre pubescent teeny boppers that have potential on Fifa.

Archived