Euro 2013 - Women's Football

Stive Pesley

Apologies if there is already a thread for this – I couldn't see one.

Is anyone else watching the women's football? It's hard to enjoy.

Is it unfair to suggest that the level of skill and tactics at the international standard is about the same as Schoolboy Under-14? I find it quite patronising to hear the commentators telling us how great the games are when they're clearly really poor.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I and my Mrs agree.

I asked her opinion before I slated it of course and it happened that she agreed! (She's had a season ticket as long as me and sit together so knows her stuff).

I watched eagerly having missed football with the outset of "well football is football!"

Within ten minutes Spain had scored and I turned over. Wasn't too impressed with either side!

I watched a couple of games live during the Olympics, and found them to be surprisingly entertaining.

However, it was hot and I had been drinking.

Ha – I was watching a bit of the game while we ate our tea and the wife didn't even realise it was women's football (showing how much attention she pays to football)

When she finally looked up and realised what was on – she said "it's not even REAL football!"

I've watched England v Spain and Germany v Iceland.

Boooooring but...

Not seen any dirty elbows or leaving their foot in for a tackle. Not one fake injury. Only two genuine stoppages for injuries in two games. No moaning to referees and bravado. It's nice not to see that.

However it seems there's only two ways to score. Crossing and ball over the top. Anything else is very rare. Bit dull

• 2 weeks later...

Archived