Most people agree 4-3-3 is the likely formation next season....

ChaddesdenRam

NO!

My biggest gripe about Clough at the moment is using Hughes as the deepest midfielder. He is NOT a holding midfielder, his game is not about standing in one place and 'spraying balls'. Playing him in such a role is really limiting his impact.

He is much better further up, using his skill to get at players and playing incisive passes from a position that directly creates chances for others.

I think Nigel and Hughes make the decision for him to drop deeper so we can get hold of the ball. I think if he advanced to a more attacking role we would struggle to get the ball into him. He helps us get control.

I agree with you though. I prefer him higher up. We could do with two of him tbh.

Sometimes when he's played higher up or out wide our build up has been scrappy. With him in there he gets us ticking. Just wish we had another Will to receive it and playmake.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The best formation we can play with is pragmatism.

There'll be games when we need 5 in the middle, games we can go for the jugular and play a 4-3-3 which becomes a 4-5-1 without the ball.

The ability to change things round at key times is much more important than adopting to a new formation, especially in a league as hard to do well in as this.

The good thing about the 4-3-3 formation with Sammon, Russell and Ward starting is that all three can play more centrally

Therefore the formation could easily revert back to 4-4-2 with either Ward or Russell dropping back into right/left midfield and the other playing along side Sammon.

Then either Bryson or Hughes could play out wide or Coutts/Bavies could come on to balance it up.

In all honesty, the strength of the first team squad is looking pretty good now. We have some quality attacking players with good squad players on the bench. Having the options to change it around in the midfield/attack quite easily should only be a bonus.

Just hope we get more depth in defence... only having a fit Keogh and Buxton wont be enough at the start of the season...

Who wants to put a bet on? There's no way in the world Nigel will go 4-3-3 cos it means he wont have players in wide areas to track back and cover the full-backs. You don't buy Johnny Russell and then ask him to overload on defensive corners.

Of which how many worked/how many we used ever again?

How many other managers do you know who play multiple formations? Most teams tend to have one and stick to it...

I think Nigel's relatively refreshing in that he prefers 4 4 2 but has also trained the squad to be able to switch to a defensive 4 3 3... Games like Cardiff at home last season was a classic example... 4 4 2 wasn't working so they changed to 4 3 3 and it clicked into place...

NO!

My biggest gripe about Clough at the moment is using Hughes as the deepest midfielder. He is NOT a holding midfielder, his game is not about standing in one place and 'spraying balls'. Playing him in such a role is really limiting his impact.

He is much better further up, using his skill to get at players and playing incisive passes from a position that directly creates chances for others.

I agree that he is better further up but I don't think he has the strength to hold players off in advanced positions. Also him being deeper allows him to get more of the ball.

It's not all about the final pass ie the assist. The build up play is just as important

True that it is all about the team when it comes down to it. I do think we struggled for the killer ball quite a few times in an advanced position though, and I don't think Hughes' particularly struggles to hold off opposition because he has the speed of thought and quickness of feet to avoid needing to do so.

I agree that we could do with two Hugheses!

If Russell proves himself does anyone think we could make a return to 4-2-3-1?

Honestly? NO! Cos all of a sudden we will have lots of forwards and only a few 'attacking midfielders', whereas back then, it was t'other way around with Cywka, Commons and Bueno.

PLEASE NOTE: I do realise that Hughes, Bryson and Hendrick are more than capable of playing attacking football, as is Ben Davies, and even Paul Coutts, But NC wont move things around.

I don't know why Nigel ever abandoned 4231. It was apparently to grind results but it didnt make much difference.

We played great stuff. We had 6 back and 4 forward quickly.

Everyone knew their priorities.

I hate old style 442 wing play. Although Fergie made it perfect

I don't know why Nigel ever abandoned 4231. It was apparently to grind results but it didnt make much difference.

We played great stuff. We had 6 back and 4 forward quickly.

Everyone knew their priorities.

I hate old style 442 wing play. Although Fergie made it perfect

Why did he abandon it?

Two words.

Robbie. Savage.

I agree Clough's favoured formation is 422 but people saying he has always played 442 your wrong.

The season when we had bueno we played 4231 for the majority with Commons Cywka and Bueno playing behind a target man.

I also remember Rob Hulse playing in a 4321 and then Miles Addison Robbie Savage and Paul Green operating in that 3.

I agree Clough's favoured formation is 422 but people saying he has always played 442 your wrong.

The season when we had bueno we played 4231 for the majority with Commons Cywka and Bueno playing behind a target man.

I also remember Rob Hulse playing in a 4321 and then Miles Addison Robbie Savage and Paul Green operating in that 3.

kid yourself all you like, bar those 4 or 5 games that included beating Palace with Kuqi scoring, Clough has played 4-5-1 or 4-4-2

What are everyones thoughts on this formation?

Positives and Negatives.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Grant

Brayford Keogh New CB New LB

Bryson Hughes Hendrick 

Russell Sammon Ward

-----------------------------------------------------------------

In the midfield we have Ben Davies and Paul Coutts as the players who could come in.

In attack we have Michael Jacobs and Chris Martin as the players who could come in. 

Personally I think the fact that Russell and Ward are so attacking will mean it will not become a negative 451 which is problem we had last season, especially away from home.

Chris Martin will play somewhere.

We need a holding midfielder, especially with that formation.

• 1 month later...

Archived