Most people agree 4-3-3 is the likely formation next season....

ChaddesdenRam

We have to play 4-3-3 if Brayford leaves IMO

Coutts at RM without Brayford just isn't good enough, they complimented each other so well, it's a shame they'll never play together again.

We can play with 3 CM's and still rotate

CM's:

Hendrick

Hughes

Bryson

Coutts

Bavies (when needed)

Eustace

Bailey?

All of those on rotation should be good and on the topic of Bailey, he looked good alongside an experienced CM like Savage, maybe him and Eustace would be a similarly effective partnership? 

Attackers:

Russell (Wing)

Ward (Wing)

Martin (ST)

Sammon (ST)

Jacobs (Wing)

Bavies (when needed could play CM or RW)

As lovely as this sounds I think it's unlikely. I think Clough will want to keep 4-4-2 to retain a bit more protection for our relatively inexperienced full-backs. Freeman said he was holding back last season as he initially came into the side so I think if given the chance we might see more of him as an attacking threat next season.

I'd like to have seen us try it more often in pre-season but I don't think Nige will move away from 4-4-2 in all honesty. It worked well for us at home last season, let's hope the additions up front and the ones coming in defence can make it work away from home too.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Grant

Freeman Keogh Buxton Forsyth

Hughes Hendrick Bryson

Russell Martin Ward

is the current 433 

now a few names have been put forward but from the general consensus it seems that Cyrus Christie from Coventry could be the number 1 right back target so add him in. Then at CB there is a less clearer choice. Personally i would go in for Leon Barnett or Lowry LB/CB for Millwall.

Grant

Christie Keogh Barnett Forsyth

Hendrick Hughes Bryson

Russell Martin Ward

Why play Russell out wide though when you have brought him to score goals?

Its not out wide in a 433.

He played this position at Dundee in a 3 with John Daly up the middle and Gary Mckay Stevens on the other side and that was his best goal scoring return in that formation.

Clough wouldn't play it like that though and they are always expected to drop back.

Don't know why we are debating as clough will play 442 in the majority of the games. I do see the concern that coutts won't look as effective, well to be fair Brayford was the player that made it happen down that side, that's why a prem team has just come in and spent decent money on him. Freeman whatever people say is no where near his level.

The problem with a narrow 4-3-3 is that Ward doesn't have the footballing brain to cope with being too near the centre of the pitch. When he's hogging the touchline and his only choice is whether to cut inside and attack the full back or take him down the line, he can be our most potent attacking threat. One player to beat. Two ways to beat him.

However, bring him inside and he seems to panic/hesitate with the ball. It's almost as if he's got too many options and he takes too long to make his mind up, meaning by the time he's decided, he's been bundled off it and/or available passes are no longer on cos the defence has marked our players. It's almost as if he automatically thinks "Cut inside or down the line?" then realises there are a lot more options and his brain freezes for a second.

It was really evident at Burton the other night. For this reason, and as dull as it may seem, I think he's best used wider in a 4-4-2 or perhaps 4-5-1, where he's allowed to stay wide.

Archived