sam rush interview.

SuperSheep

Personally, I think Baptiste is clumsy and no better than Keogh (who is also massively over-rated!). I'd rather someone a bit more composed and intelligent anyway.

I think long-term that's Gjokaj... Looks like a proper ball-player to me... AND he's about 8 ft tall by the looks of him...

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm glad you've taken the times to read through each of my posts then mate.

He said this coming season would be a push towards the play offs, am I correct? Yes

Didn't Glick say we were aiming for a top 6 finish?

He said he is going to be hammering on the owners door for investments, am I correct? Yes

How do we quantify this? As far as I am aware we had a positive net spend in virtually every transfer window that Gick was CEO.

He stated numerous times we don't have to sell, am I correct? Yes

But with the proviso that if a bid that is too good to refuse comes in, we will accept.

Then you say we haven't seen these funds yet - only previously you or someone else said it was only two weeks after the season had ended..

I am pretty sure it was you making the point about any many signings Portsmouth have made since the season ended?

Why are you mentioning Glick so much and comparing the two? He's been and gone. Glick said alot of things and personally in my OPINION he wasn't the right man for the job, especially on the transfers front, he said this himself...

Because you said Rush 'has the balls to do something, unlike Glick' so I thought it only fair to compare what Rush has actually done compared to Glick and as at this moment in time I can't see any difference. Although I do believe Rush comes across better and in the long term will prove to be the better CEO

You say Hughes is in the shop window; another unproven remark and something which will go over everyone's head. When the CEO and manager have said a dozen times this week alone he will be here at the start of the season.

Did I not say that we would have Hughes loaned back for a season if we sold him...hences he will be here at the start of the season.

So either you're making that guess up or you don't trust the management. Quite funny you insult my posts for being negative when you're the only suggesting Hughes is in the shop window isn't it?

I don't see Hughes being in the shop window as a negative, if we got a decent fee for him it could help improve the team in many areas.

Gjokaj on a free was a very good signings. Looks a good talent!

hes only a good signing if plays well in the first team, so for me, at the moment, I can't say if he's a good signing from his form in the stiffs.

Surely it's his (Glicks) job to come out and say "we are aiming for a push towards the play offs". We signed Tyson that season, surely that alone shows he was abit over ambitious.

The manager is at fault if he can't live up to the expectations/targets set by the owners, If he isn't capable of achieving them why continue to stay in the job? If he knows the squad isn't good enough and he lacks the funds, why not give the board an ultimatum? That's the difference between Clough and other managers at this level. They'd walk if they'd get ballsed around and set unrealistic targets.

Ask yourself why I have a negative opinion of Clough, the board have given him plenty of time to get his own squad together and have offered to give him a director of football in the past, in which Clough cocked his nose up at. Gick said he wanted a play off push afew seasons ago, instead it was a relegation battle. I don't think Clough has ever even mentioned a play off push in his tenture here...madness.

But let's blame someone who is no longer at the club, makes it a tad easier doesn't it?

Not a fan of Glick, nor Applebly but at least they have given the manager time and offered him assistance. Rush is a positive because he wouldn't let Clough have peanuts to spend like previously; he's come out within a month of being here and said he'll be knocking the owners door down for investment. Did Glick say anything like this in his time here? That was my point about Rush having more balls than Tommy. Doesn't mean he's better, worse.; Both have different attritubes.

If Clough fails again next season who will shoulder the blame? Is it the Americans for lack of investment ? Rush for coming out and saying we'd be pushing towards the play offs (getting everyones expectations up again)or Cloughs for failing to delivery expectations set four months before the start of the season? My boss would call me into his office if I didn't get targets set, solely because I didn't come out and admit I wasn't up to the job in hand.

Surely it's his (Glicks) job to come out and say "we are aiming for a push towards the play offs". We signed Tyson that season, surely that alone shows he was abit over ambitious.

The manager is at fault if he can't live up to the expectations/targets set by the owners, If he isn't capable of achieving them why continue to stay in the job? If he knows the squad isn't good enough and he lacks the funds, why not give the board an ultimatum? That's the difference between Clough and other managers at this level. They'd walk if they'd get ballsed around and set unrealistic targets.

Ask yourself why I have a negative opinion of Clough, the board have given him plenty of time to get his own squad together and have offered to give him a director of football in the past, in which Clough cocked his nose up at. Gick said he wanted a play off push afew seasons ago, instead it was a relegation battle. I don't think Clough has ever even mentioned a play off push in his tenture here...madness.

But let's blame someone who is no longer at the club, makes it a tad easier doesn't it?

Not a fan of Glick, nor Applebly but at least they have given the manager time and offered him assistance. Rush is a positive because he wouldn't let Clough have peanuts to spend like previously; he's come out within a month of being here and said he'll be knocking the owners door down for investment. Did Glick say anything like this in his time here? That was my point about Rush having more balls than Tommy. Doesn't mean he's better, worse.; Both have different attritubes.

If Clough fails again next season who will shoulder the blame? Is it the Americans for lack of investment ? Rush for coming out and saying we'd be pushing towards the play offs or Cloughs for failing to delivery expectations set? My boss would call me into his office if I didn't get targets set, solely because I didn't come out and admit I wasn't up to the job in hand.

That is why I continue to read your posts (unlike a few others that I just completely ignore these days) because you can put together a logical argument to back up what you say!

I don't have any axe to grind with Rush per se, what has disappointed me so far is his lack of communication of tangible and measurable targets for next season which smacks of soft pedalling the issue - so far all I have heard is we are aiming for the playoffs, we are aiming for this and that, not good enough and defintely not something I would expect to hear from a guy in Rush's position -  I want to hear our target next year is to get into the Top 6 for example, and to facilitate this we are going to give Clough x amount of money to spend, or we are going to do this by y - then if we don't ahcieve the target we can have a balanced discussion which Rush and the board should also be doing to ascertain what the shortcomings were and act on it. This just smells of a cop out.

Why should Rush tell us what Clough's 'war chest' is? That strikes me as barmy because all you are doing is advertising to other clubs that Clough has x pounds to spend. It then becomes a seller's market and the price of anyone we enquire about goes up.

I was using it as an example. You've overlooked my point, set some defined, measurable goals that at the end of the season one can review whether we achieved those targets or not then act on that - consequences. If you don't set yourself any clear goals how can you possible fail? Am fed up with the discussions on here trying to quantify whether last season was a success or not, let Rush and Clough set the benchmark for this season so we can measure them against them and not be left to our own interpretations. 

I was using it as an example. You've overlooked my point, set some defined, measurable goals that at the end of the season one can review whether we achieved those targets or not then act on that - consequences. If you don't set yourself any clear goals how can you possible fail? Am fed up with the discussions on here trying to quantify whether last season was a success or not, let Rush and Clough set the benchmark for this season so we can measure them against them and not be left to our own interpretations. 

I would be amazed if Nigel doesn't have fixed targets to reach. Just because the club haven't announced them to the world, it doesn't mean that Nigel doesn't have to undergo the dreaded quarterly review with KPIs on top of the agenda. 

In previous years it could well be that financial targets were more stringent than his league position target - maybe reduce the wage bill by 40% and don't get relegated.

This year he just might have, 'achieve a play off spot and keep the wages under £10m' (invented figure, actually invented target but you get my point). We'll only know when Nigel has missed his target when a cub official is thanking Nigel and his team for all their hard work and wishing them well for the future. And even then we probably will never know what the target was.

Ive heard Clough say 70 points is our goal - also heard Rush say 80 points is our goal.

if we get either, I would be surprised.

20 wins, 10 draws, 16 losses or 23 wins, 11 draws, 12 losses. I just can't see it. 

They're both pretty ambtious targets ambitious.

Still a long way to go in the summer and I'm still confident we're going to get some quality but.....

Even with last years squad, have a go at who you think will beat us coming to Pride Park next year. How many team do you think will go away with all 3 points?

In fact as an interesting side question. Who does the forum think will definitely beat us at home next year?

They're both pretty ambtious targets ambitious.

Still a long way to go in the summer and I'm still confident we're going to get some quality but.....

Even with last years squad, have a go at who you think will beat us coming to Pride Park next year. How many team do you think will go away with all 3 points?

In fact as an interesting side question. Who does the forum think will definitely beat us at home next year?

I don't see many teams doing it to be honest. If Hull were still in the division then perhaps them. Either way, it was always the more disciplined teams that put in the ugly performances that got something.

As for you, me or anyone else being in a position to judge - he who pays the piper calls the tune,  and we just don't fork out anywhere near enough to have that power.

Archived