Wolves

jimbobram

Right, well for starters Saunders is a hero of mine who played for the team I support, Nigel Clough was a hero for the rival club of the team I support.

Saunders has done a proper managerial apprenticeship. Was a coach and assistant at a few clubs, Blackburn and Newcastle spring to mind. 

Went to Wrexham, left them when top of the league and on for promotion but his successor blew it, went to Doncaster and left them top of the league and nailed on for promotion, now at Wolves.

He's shown the ability to be competitive within a season, and not take ten years. Or five to make no progress.

Well he clearly has the motivational skills... :lol:

"When we have a team talk the players know that the only reason I talk to them is to make myself feel better."

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do keep up. Was trying to explain why I have love for Saunders.

I am aware. I'm just not sure why it'd matter. As much as you might like a player, it shouldn't at all impact on how you judge them as a manager.

I love Darren Moore, doesn't mean I'd walk him into the Derby job if I could. (Though I'd like him on our coaching staff).

I am aware. I'm just not sure why it'd matter. As much as you might like a player, it shouldn't at all impact on how you judge them as a manager.

I love Darren Moore, doesn't mean I'd walk him into the Derby job if I could. (Though I'd like him on our coaching staff).

Once again, people struggle to read. All I've said is I think he will be a good manager. He's obviously still learning, and improving (something that cannot be said about Nigel Clough) and I've never suggested he should be given the Derby manager's job!

That Saunders can be compared to Clough is absolutely hilarious.

Saunders has so far proven to be a poor manager. I hope he turns it round but it doesn't look great so far.

Proven to who? I think you'll find in footballing circles that Saunders reputation as manager is better than Clough's. Why wasn't Clough considered for the jobs that Saunders has been linked with? Saunders has failed to save a couple of relegation bound teams in turmoil, but has also turned 2 teams in turmoil around and left them near the top of the league and gunning for promotion. Again, this is better improvements than Clough has made.

Proven to who? I think you'll find in footballing circles that Saunders reputation as manager is better than Clough's. Why wasn't Clough considered for the jobs that Saunders has been linked with? Saunders has failed to save a couple of relegation bound teams in turmoil, but has also turned 2 teams in turmoil around and left them near the top of the league and gunning for promotion. Again, this is better improvements than Clough has made.

Mostyn, you're unbelieveable.

Imagine Clough came here with Saunders 'pedigree' and got us relegated with a 7 point cushion upon joining. You'd want his balls on a plate, and rightly so, no matter who the bloke is. How you can call Wolves relegation bound in January is ridiculous (but quite funny).

Who cares about football circles? As it goes I think Clough is pretty well thought of, but it's not a competition, is it?

Saunders joined Wrexham when they were struggling and got them in the play offs. They didn't get promoted.

He relegated Doncaster, and he's now just relegated Wolves.

Clough pretty much promoted Burton from obscurity to the football league, apart from the last few months when Roy McFarland tried to f*ck up their promotion bid from the Conference. So actually, I'd say Clough's acheivements are factually greater than Saunders so far.

I wonder who Wolves would rather have in charge right now.

Clough=better manager

Saunders=better player.

There you go, everyone wins..

Sorry Meuspach, I should probably gracefully accept but not a chance. By the way he was a player I loved to watch whoever he played for.

there's no escaping he's a bit of ajinx though. In fact looking at his career stats as a player and a manager, I wouldnt touch him with a bargepole.

Swansea - relegated in his debut season as a player

Oxford - relegated

Derby - relegated

Liverpool finished in 6th - at the time their worst finish for years.

Villa - finished one place above relegation - the season before he signed they were league runners up.

Forest - relegated

Bloody hell, the lads not a hero he's a liability.

Once again, people struggle to read. All I've said is I think he will be a good manager. He's obviously still learning, and improving (something that cannot be said about Nigel Clough) and I've never suggested he should be given the Derby manager's job!

You missed my point too. I was just amused that you're so critical of Clough, yet think Saunders will be a very good manager despite some of his recent endeavours, and would rate him simply because he's a favourite player of yours.

And I did not say you were suggesting he should be given the Derby job, but you do atleast suggest there he would be better than Nigel. My point was that him being a favourite player of yours should have no bearing whatsoever on your judgement of him as a manager.

And Clough did his apprenticeship too at Burton for many years, but nevermind. 

You missed my point too. I was just amused that you're so critical of Clough, yet think Saunders will be a very good manager despite some of his recent endeavours, and would rate him simply because he's a favourite player of yours.

And I did not say you were suggesting he should be given the Derby job, but you do atleast suggest there he would be better than Nigel. My point was that him being a favourite player of yours should have no bearing whatsoever on your judgement of him as a manager.

And Clough did his apprenticeship too at Burton for many years, but nevermind. 

Clough has shown me enough to suggest he's hit the ceiling of his limitations. Quite simply, he'll never get better than he is now.

Saunders on the other hand, whilst 'relegating' two teams, has also proven capable of organising teams in such a way, that suggests he is learning the job. He's worked with loads of great managers, and has proven to be intelligent in his many TV appearances (goals on Sunday etc) and you can tell he's committed to the role. He just seems to be more professional and adaptable, intelligent and modern and interested in success.

Sorry Meuspach, I should probably gracefully accept but not a chance. By the way he was a player I loved to watch whoever he played for.

there's no escaping he's a bit of ajinx though. In fact looking at his career stats as a player and a manager, I wouldnt touch him with a bargepole.

Swansea - relegated in his debut season as a player

Oxford - relegated

Derby - relegated

Liverpool finished in 6th - at the time their worst finish for years.

Villa - finished one place above relegation - the season before he signed they were league runners up.

Forest - relegated

Bloody hell, the lads not a hero he's a liability.

Behave.

He was a blooody star.

Archived